Thursday, March 17, 2022

St Patrick's Day greetings

Back before climate change, when I had a vegetable garden, St Patrick's Day was the signal to plant potatoes and peas. Now it's the signal to put on an emerald green cardi and invite my twin to a photo shoot.


And to send on Sandra Boynton's  take


A friend of mine, now gathered, used to be very proud of her Irish heritage, great excitement for March 17, tickets to Irish music celebrations, corned beef and cabbage, soda bread, shamrock, the lot.

Then she got into genealogy and found she'd  been Irish only  since the late nineteenth century. Her roots were solidly English. Oh. 

They  hadn't left because of the famine, after all. English ancestors had settled in Ireland long after. Just shows you'd be wise to proceed with caution on family stories. But she still celebrated happily anyway. Good for her. Why spoil a good party?


And a reminder of the age of the people under siege in Ukraine.  It's the oil cartel causing the escalation in gas prices, but the larger point stands.

And let's hope Ukraine continues to stand and survive as a sovereign nation. 

15 comments:

  1. I agree about oil and the Ukraine and I have some Irish who are now Scottish due to long ago immigration. Have a happy day. It is Purim for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I have a lick of Irish in me but St. Patrick's gives me an excuse to make one of my favorite meals which is, yes, corned beef and cabbage with Irish soda bread.
    I love your green cardigan!
    May this horrible and evil war in the Ukraine be over soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. E, yes, purim. Will you blog about it, how you observe it? Please do.

    Mary, yes, Maureen went all out on that meal. I think I could handle the soda bread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. E, do you do hamentaschen (sp?)? I remember a long ago boss bringing them in to work and being astonished that I knew what they were!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy St. Patrick's Day to you! I think on this day almost everyone is Irish for the day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look very good there in your green.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice photoshoot! Only half Irish, here, but it's enough.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My great grandfather was from Ireland and a number of our lines in the family had roots there. Love Paddy’s Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That green cardigan suits you nicely. I'm sporting a green vest as I write, though I married into the O'Brien clan, and they were Irish by way of Scotland, where several members had to flee during the Troubles.

    And a Hippo St. Paddy's day to you too! (We love the mind and art of Sandra Boynton).

    Ukraine still stands today.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  10. The lion's share of my heritage is English, Irish, Scottish with some German, French, and Scandinavian mixed in. I did not wear green but I would have happily eaten some corned beef and cabbage if I'd had some. Actually, I wore purple all day not realizing it was THAT day until much later.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heck, some people who celebrate St. Patrick's Day have no Irish roots at all! Everyone is Irish that day, right?! Love the Sandra Boynton art. I haven't thought of her in ages but I used to love her drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A few blips in ones family oral history is bound to happen.
    Happy St Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you new tradition is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always try to wear a bit of green on St. Paddy's Day, despite not having any Irish blood in my background. I can lay claim to being Scotch and English.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!