Sunday, March 6, 2022

Sunday, Sunday

You know you lead a quiet life when the day of the week that you are not  scheduled for one of your regular medicines, the six days a week, never on Sunday, one, feels like a day off!

But art is always there, and some lovely things are happening to support Ukraine.


Never doubt that art helps. It feeds the spirits, and that can make all the difference to a people under siege. And to their supporters.

Dave Flitcroft, who painted the sunflowers, plans to sell his current series to benefit refugees from Ukraine.

Meanwhile, chop wood, carry water.

Yesterday's broth, involving vegetable trimmings and chicken bones, soup makings waiting in the background


ended up in this butternut squash, cashew, carrot, macaroni soup


One bowl is a full meal, so filling. The curry leaf sprig does more than decorate. As soon as it touches the hot soup, it gives off a wonderful scent and flavor to it. No need to cook it in. Same with the Thai basil. Same sprig now resting on the next bowl, for today.

General rejoicing outside, too, when the squash seeds were spotted this morning by Butternut Boy and his squirrel friends.

Meanwhile, the spiral socks being near the toe shaping, which needs counting, I knew I couldn't work on them while chatting at the knitting group.  So meanwhile I cast on another pair, different pattern, Sock Ministry Pair Four, to do at the group.

Here's the start, different color way, change of pace.


And as of this morning, couldn't stop striping yesterday, here we are


This design has a different heel, more review needed. I've knitted them before, ages ago, see old photos

The bottom ones went to a friend, and the others I wore till they couldn't be mended further, then cut them back for fingerless gloves which I still wear.

I guess I can figure out the confusing instructions again. Sometimes patterns don't make sense till you're in the midst, then you get it. Anyway that's today's plan.

And about trying to stay calm and centered, in tragic times, I found a great piece of advice: 

imagine a pond, and your feelings are fish. Try to be the pond, not the fish.

I'm definitely taking this on board.

18 comments:

  1. "Try to be the pond, not the fish" -- very zen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting concept re pond and fish. In one of my relaxation reveries, I become a pebble sitting in a pond or a birdbath and move myself around to observe/experience from different perspectives; sort of an inside-out version of the pond and fish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And in mine, I've floated down a stream, ending in a peaceful pond with black water, reflecting the stars above at night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is ‘never on sunday’ your own rule? I am thinking that it sounds like it and probably works fine depending on your particular needs and meds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was struck by “try to be the pond, not the fish.” Food for thought. Happy day, Boud.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AC no, I don't prescribe for myself. This is my doctor's calculation, to keep the level correct without changing the rx. Everything else is once or twice daily.

    I really like the different approaches to meditation. The pond visual has prompted interested responses, thank you all

    ReplyDelete
  7. Something to think about, pond not fish

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Boud, I love this … “imagine a pond, and your feelings are fish. Try to be the pond, not the fish.” Excellent! Thank you for sharing your blog and for your kind comments on mine. Prayers for the people of Ukraine! John

    ReplyDelete
  9. Try to be the pond, not the fish...wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for that wonderful piece of advice. I will try and be the pond. This world definitely needs more calm ponds!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I knit socks from an old Red Cross pattern. I'll send you a copy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you. I'll be glad to add it to my collection. I navigated the heel if the current one just fine today. Usually do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've found, when it comes to knitting (crochet too) that reading ahead on the pattern just mostly serves to confuse me. A wise person who is a much better knitter than I could ever be once told me to just take it one step at a time and it will become clear. She has been proven right more than I can say.
    I, too, like the pond/fish and I'm going to try to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful socks! Wonderful stripes! Wonderful sunflower artwork! And wonderful advice!

    Several days ago I channeled you and put butternut squash seeds out for our squirrels. No takers yet...

    Continued agnostic prayers for Ukraine.

    Chris from Boise

    PS Wonderful soup, that bowlful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought of you the other day when I made a shrimp stock for my etouffee. Looked very much like one of your stocks which is to say- lovely.
    Now- from stock to sock- your socks are works of art and how I wish I could do that!
    I will try to be the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mary Ann, I navigated this pattern, very nice heel turn resulted once I navigated the really awkward pattern explanations. As God is my witness, this time I will definitely make notes on the bits where she suddenly uses new terminology, so next time it will be clear. It's a nice pattern but the punctuation is random. Anyway that's my intention, because I will make this again. Well, there's a second sock to come.

    Chris maybe explain to them that if your squirrels don't eat their nice seeds you can send them to the starving squirrels in NJ!

    Mary, it's so nice the way we drift in and out of each other's thoughts as we do daily things.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Disheartening that the world is on the brink again because one piece of shit isn't satisfied with the country he's got and is willing to risk all of us.

    So we do what we can do to bring goodness into the world. You knit, I volunteer at a place that tends to those in need.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!