Today is in the 70sf, and full of flood and tornado warnings. And the air is still unhealthy, I suppose washing down from the upper atmosphere.
And I'm exploring sock options. Maybe Tunisian crochet? I'm testing whether it's less trying than knitting. I found sock patterns.
Up to now it's a maybe. I've been trying different ways to manage the thread tension without my hand totally seizing, with moderate success. I have another idea to try, too.
Meanwhile if you love brilliant satire, Brit and US, take a look at these YouTube writers and actors
The comments on their YouTube channels are hilarious, largely people who don't understand it's acting and think it's someone frankly stating their (highly prejudiced) opinions, then other people trying to explain! Then exasperation on both sides. A lot of hot air ensues. IYKYK.









Oh dear, abandoning his plants? That's like people who ask you to pet sit while they're on holiday and then never come back to get the animal.
ReplyDeleteHe took a couple, but looks like he's disowned a couple, too. He has form for dumping plants on me for years at a time.
DeleteWe are very lucky in that the raging thunderstorms that went through cleared the smoke for now.
ReplyDeleteSuch a relief. I'm hoping for that, too.
DeleteNo hostage taking, even by a split-leaf! That Gary! I can only imagine the conversation you and your new neighbor/old acquaintance had :-)
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the Tunisian crochet and your next ideas.
I'm amazed the rain didn't wash the smoke out, though it sounds like more is pouring in all the time. We had our first smoky day here, from new Oregon fires, but air quality is not nearly as bad as yours.
Chris from Boise
I gather the particulate matter gets washed down first, sending up the pollution count, before cleaner air is washed in. Or something. I hope your air quality doesn't deteriorate.
DeleteThose socks really look knitted - worth a try. Do you not have to tension yarn for Tunisian crochet? Try knitting with yarn tension on the other hand (i taught myself to knit both ways a while back to give my hands options - carpel tunnel issues - seems to have helped)
ReplyDeleteI've tried every way of knitting, with little success. My left hand just can't hold the needle, no matter which hand tensions the yarn. Since Tunisian only has one hook I'm hoping to manage better. We'll see. The finger tissue is worn out so the tendons don't move smoothly they jam and seize, jerking the yarn, arghgh.
DeleteThat jamming and seizing isnt good - id been told a couple of years back that something has been developed that can be injected into the tendons (sounds painful and give me creeps thinking about it) that can straighten out the gnarly tissue/fibres in the tendons and enable them to move smoothly through their sheaths again. I know nothing more but if it keeps hands useful might be worth an investgation.
DeleteThat's not the issue. I saw a hand surgeon and blogged about it. The issue isn't the tendon sheath, it's the absence of tissue at the base of the fingers. It's literally worn away and there isn't enough to reorganize to prevent tendons dropping way too far down. The current surgery requires tissue I no longer have, hence the jamming etc. It doesn't hurt, just doesn't let my hand function well. It's the result of over eighty years of making.
DeleteIt rained where I am, so I'm hoping that takes care of the smoky haze for a while.
ReplyDeleteI hope so. It's not good breathing in dirty air.
DeleteI was wondering about air quality and the mess that dirty rain will leave behind. Can’t be good to breathe. As for Gary, quite presumptuous to just leave the plants behind without asking you. But I guess that’s Gary.
ReplyDeleteI'm hoping cleaner air returns. Yes, as you say, that's Gary!
DeleteLike the little cartoon at the end... offer the light you can..
ReplyDeleteGood philosophy.
I think that's what you do, too.
Delete"hostage to a giant split leaf" 🤣🤣
ReplyDeleteThat's how it feels!
DeleteHope it has also rained on the fires.
ReplyDeleteIt's nice that you already know your new neighbour, it's always a worry when neighbours change
Yes, not only know her, but like her. She's definitely on the baking list when the weather cools enough to bake.
DeleteCool night, blanket cover, and it doesn’t look too hazy from where I am sitting well away from the window. That’s here, hope there is better today.
ReplyDeleteIf it's better there, then here will improve too, since this is smoke from there. Some tragic stories emerging from the fires.
DeleteThree things I've tried to alter the specific demands on my hands: having the working yarn woven in and out of my fingers to control the tension instead of actually holding it bear the needles as I had been taught (hard to describe but I'll send a snap if you like, it took a while to get used to this but it did make a big difference), continental style knitting, and Portuguese knitting. Lots of examples and videos online.
ReplyDeleteAlas, over the years I've been addressing this issue, without discussing it in here, I have tried all these, before concluding I've probably run the gamut and will do further damage if I persist. It's not an issue of pain avoidance, it's about neurological control. When your fingers jam then shoot out, jolting the yarn, you really can't make a good fabric. If the Tunisian doesn't work out, I'll weave. Not done yet .
DeleteBut the tips kind blogistas are offering might be very useful to other readers thank you.
I've read all the comments about the knitting/hand issue with interest. I know I am going to have to attempt continental style to see if it helps my thumbs but for now I soldier on because I love knitting so much. I taught myself originally and no doubt I'm not holding the yarn correctly anyway.
ReplyDeleteI tried crocheting slipper socks for family members a few years ago and to a person, they hated them, claiming they could feel every stitch. I know our boys are somewhat prima donna-ish with their feet so that could have something to do with it.
The issue with crocheting doesn't apply to the fabric you get with Tunisian. It's dense like knitting. I had wondered that about regular crochet.
DeleteI hadn't realized Gary had moved already. His ex wife as a neighbor is great. Why am I not surprised he's abandoning plants you have kept for him? So Gary!
ReplyDeleteOne of his former wives! He has great taste in women. His current friend is beautiful, and talented, J and I discussed this. We all know each other. It's all very civilized.
DeleteThat's funny about Gary and your new neighbor! Yes, to the library with those plants!
ReplyDeleteI'll check with him first and give him time. But not long.
DeleteGlad you are friends with your new neighbor. I'm sure you could Free cycle that plant if no one wants it.
ReplyDeleteI watched a video of a lady who knits with one hand. Amazing how she figured that out after losing her right arm.
Good luck with your alternate knitting options.You are so creative.
I'm sure I can rehome the plant in some good way. I've heard of one handed knitting, and I wondered about the stress it places on the one hand doing the work of two. That kind of adaptation usually exacts a price. I agree it's very nice to have a neighbor I'm familiar with and like, particularly since our houses are joined.
Delete