Friday, July 10, 2026

The flood warnings were accurate, weaving and animals

Those emergency alerts I was getting yesterday were on point for just a few miles north of me. A neighboring suburb got over five inches of rain in a couple of hours. And other local towns didn't do well.

Here in town there were wires down and power out, but not my neighborhood, lucky there. Today the humidity is in the 80s, with sun and rain. 

I did get a walk while the walking was good, though. 

Patrick McDonnell, creator of the great Mutts comic strip, and a NJ local, it's not just Bruce, is a mover and shaker in animal welfare.

He's just sent out a survey as part of his work to improve animal shelters. If you'd like to take part, please do. There's plenty of places to express an opinion not just check a box

Note this is a screenshot, so you need to cut and paste.

Then there's the loving hands at home side. The woven belt is getting near the end 


When I reach the heddle you see at the top, the work will come off the loom. 

And I finally pressed that linen?cotton? I got ages ago. It's been waiting by the ironing board for months. 


It took about eight minutes including filling the iron. One of those jobs that took up a lot of mental energy before I finally did it.

I think this may become that surcoat/robe I was musing about a while back. With a woven patterned band for a belt, hm.  Simple, minimal shaping. Hand stitching. Now that it's prewashed and ironed, there's no stopping me.

Today's early morning picking yielded a new bouquet 

Daisies, chrysanthemums, black eyed susan, a lone coreopsis, ivy, wandering dude. Outside a pink zinnia is opening, so soon there will be zinnias in the bouquets.

Happy day everyone, weave all the things, do all the projects. Or maybe just think idly about it, no need to rush into things.




 

31 comments:

  1. I always love the way you offer advice and encouragement. Beautiful ways of saying, do whatever you want. No pressure!

    Beautiful flowers.

    Our problem here now is not flood but fire.

    Since that ironing was so easy, can you come and do mine, please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's quite a long waiting period in my ironing practice. But I can add you to the list.
      I do like to half jokingly offer advice as an antidote to the pressure most of us encounter all over the place, competitive curated societies.

      Delete
  2. Glad you didn't lose power. We had too much rain too and the humidity has been awful. Thank goodness for the ac. Your fabric is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice heavy weight, good through fall I think.

      Delete
  3. Is the Patrick McDonnell (my hero!) survey just on Facebook? I wasn't able to access it. Glad you weren't flooded out . If I recall, your neighborhood is slightly above neighboring areas? Heat, floods - what's next, earthquakes, a plague of locusts?
    That fabric looks very comfortable. Looking forward to its next incarnation.
    We're just back from a week camping to get the dogs away from fireworks, catching up on older posts.
    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been on Facebook, nothing with z involved. It came to my inbox because I'm on the mailing list. Let me forward my email and see if you can go from there. Where I live has very good drainage, different geology from a few miles north. We're still in the alluvial plain. Clever us!

      Delete
    2. Email sent, fingers crossed.

      Delete
  4. I bought some beautiful linen from the site you recommended last summer and I finally got up the nerve to cut out a pair of pants. Strangely, I found the pattern at our Hodge, Podge Lodge. It's a place where you can drop off stuff and also pick up stuff for free, and I found the pattern there.
    I'm glad the flooding was north of you. I'm also so thankful that climate change isn't real:) I'm still pulling my basement apart because of the mold growing from the minor flooding. Because we were away, the mold had a chance to grow. It'll be a good excuse to clean up the utility room.
    Stay safe my friend and I can't wait to see what you make with that beautiful linen fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linen is a great fabric. I wonder if it was Burnley and Trowbridge, or maybe Firecracker fabrics? I've found them both reliable, nice quality and not wildly expensive.
      I'll be draping the fabric against me and saying hmmmm as I figure out how to cut it today. Not getting carried away.

      Delete
    2. It was the Burnley and Trowbridge.

      Delete
  5. I'm in the "think idly" group but I did strip the bed, wash and dry the sheets and remake the bed to save trying to fold the fitted sheet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even pretend to fold fitted sheets. No matter what I do they just look like a bundle, so I bundle them. Putting the sheet right back on is a labor saving move.

      Delete
  6. We concur in the comment wondering whats next.... we've had cyclones, flooding, drought, fire.... await famine, war, earthquakes or general apocalyse (comet collision perhaps)! Fortunately we live above flood levels on free draining land in a sheltered bay so the worst of the storms have edged over or past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were wise when you chose the site. I've been wondering about the storms. And the dog is lucky to have you when their people get stranded!

      Delete
  7. No flooding but my electricity kept going off-and-on-and-off-again the night before the 4th of July. I had a burger cooking on my electric stove when it started. I didn't want to throw it out, so just waited for it to cook when the power was on, about every few minutes. Eventually, I was able to eat my burger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Serial cooking! I'm glad it finally got there.

      Delete
  8. Considering activities takes more mental energy than accomplishing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes wonder why we spend time not getting around to tasks that take no time at all in the end. Massive mental preparation.

      Delete
  9. You’re morning crop look good. I should replace mine. I don’t tend to it very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy picking a bit, so glad I thought of seeds. Much more fun than buying plants ready grown.

      Delete
  10. My ironing closet is 1/4 ironed, 3/4 awaiting that which may never happen. And I really do not dislike ironing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it's not so much disliking it as not seeing it as a thing I do. My self image doesn't seem to include it.

      Delete
  11. I just don't wear clothes that need ironing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That works as long as you don't make clothes. Then you need to press seams. Even if you never iron the item again!

      Delete
  12. you are amazing and very talent dear Boud !
    your belt looks great and very nice ,what an impressive job
    i don't know how you did this but it reminds me my mom and other ladies making belts by using some thing like hook while thread wrapped on the index finger of left hand
    i am sorry for flooding and heavy rains in your area my friend !
    heartfelt best wishes and prayers for you and all living there !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the good wishes, Baili. All's well now. I wonder if you saw those ladies crocheting? There are so many fiberart skills.

      Delete
  13. A robe in that print would be fun. Glad you're safe from the water. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a cheerful look. And we were very lucky about the latest floods.

      Delete
  14. That fabric is wonderful. It will make a beautiful robe. And wow on the flooding. Glad you got out for your walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really have to stop thinking and get cutting. The robe, that is.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!