Today is only in the 80s, but the air is in the unhealthy range still, so I watered the flowers, pulled out a couple of weeds out front and picked up the junk mail. That's it for the great outdoors today.
And I made some decisions about fiberarts. I think my hands are not up for continuing knitting for the ministry.
I'll finish the current socks then I'll switch to weaving for them. I'll probably take embroidery to the knitting group, weaving not being very portable.
This is quite a hard point, the socks and gloves being my main volunteer work for six years, and a part of my current identity. So it's a crossroads.
I have to see what useful items I can weave or Tunisian crochet, which I think I can still do. I'm thinking fingerless gloves in Tunisian. I've done them for myself, so I know they work. Woven scarves, including that recent one during the Great Busted Loom Caper.
I still haven't set up any warp threads upstairs for the big project, because I'm so tired, from the bad air I think.
Anyway I did sort yarns, set up cotton ones together for weaving narrow bands, wool ones together for other weaving.
On the food front, it seems that the source of the cyclobadstuff is iceberg lettuce from Mexico, distributed by Taylor Farms, an international company which also distributes in Canada. Just a word to the wise. Check your sources.
This means that my food isn't a likely problem, however I had got my mouth all set for strawberry jam so I did it anyway.
I don't skim off the foam because I like it and I don't urgently want my preserves clear, not entering them in a jam and Jerusalem event.
Afternoon tea will involve little cream cheese and strawberry jam sandwiches. Very Downton Abbey. Lunch involved cream cheese and green Spanish olive sandwiches, highly recommended.
So that's Chez Boud today, and another candy cane mystery in hand.
Happy day, when one door closes you may need to break another one open.







I've never understood the point of skimming off the foam, it has the same flavour. I think I'll have enough raspberries this summer to make a little jam which I can hardly wait for.
ReplyDeleteIt's hard giving up things, especially things that you enjoy so much.
I think the skimming is about appearance, but there's a lot of flavor in the foam, so I keep it. Raspberry jam is something to look forward to.
DeleteYes, this is a hard place about the knitting. But I'll figure it out.
You are good at figuring things out. I've been enjoying my cross stitch bookmarks that I make for my charity group to sell. I like your idea of weaving scarves.
ReplyDeleteThose bookmarks are so successful. Go you!
DeleteTea time sounds pretty good at your house!
ReplyDeleteIt's nice.
DeleteI've always skimmed off the foam but keep it and enjoy it on toast.
ReplyDeleteAs for the lettuce issue - I don't ever eat lettuce from restaurants and we don't buy bagged lettuce. I have issues at times with IBS and lettuce is one of the worst culprits because often it is sprayed with some sort of preservative to keep it from browning. I don't react well to the preservative and it also affects both our sons and one daughter-in-law.
I'm sorry about you feeling like you have to give up knitting - that will be hard for you I know.
Very wise to avoid bagged salads. I'm sad about the knitting but my hands are locking up and fingers jerking, not good for keeping an even tension in knitting. Weaving involves different movements I can do, and they're more equally divided between the hands.
DeleteYou will still be making a difference even if it isn't with socks.
ReplyDeleteI guess so. It's been my signature thing as the only volunteer able to make socks.
DeleteA "jam and Jerusalem event"? I've never heard that expression before. I find it intriguing. What's the Jerusalem reference about?
ReplyDeleteIt's quoting that movie/book about that English Women's Institute that made the nude calendar as a fund raiser.. WI sing Jerusalem to open their meetings no, I don't know why, and they have competitive baking, jam making, flower arranging etc.
DeleteI looked it up, movie was Calendar Girls
DeleteOh, okay, all is now clear. I think I saw that movie way back when. I do know that "Jerusalem" is considered the unofficial national anthem of England. It's always sung at The Proms for that reason. And I believe crowds sing it at soccer or rugby games too when England is playing.
DeleteTG Canadian produce is now up to filling the gap.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry that your hands are not up to knitting at this point. The Sock and Glove Ministry has been a very good project for you, and for the recipients. But needs must, and your hands are valuable for a lot of other things.
ReplyDeleteI too like jam foam, and your strawberry jam with cream cheese sounds perfect for a hot (if not intolerable) smoky day.
Chris from Boise
It's a difficult realization but, as you say, needs must. There seems to be a jam foam contingent in this blog.
DeleteSorry to hear you are no longer able to knit, but happy that weaving things is still possible. Yum on the jam.
ReplyDeleteYes, I'm working on accepting what's possible.
DeleteWell if you aren't going to knit and move on to what you find so interesting, weaving, so be it. Your life, your choice.
ReplyDeleteIt's not my choice. My hands are not able to continue. And I'm the only group member able to knit socks and gloves for the ministry. It's heartbreaking to me. It's not about my preferences. It's about what's still possible.
DeleteRefreshing sandwiches for a smoky summer day. The smoke is certainly making an impact far from its source.
ReplyDeleteWe had a brief respite last evening, but we're back in the unhealthy zone this morning.
DeleteI am avoiding veggies, and cooking, for that matter, till the heat dies down!
ReplyDeleteSince you live where most of the cyclobadstuff has been detected, I don't blame you.
DeleteI feel really bad you can no longer knit. It has been a calming activity for you for a long time. I understand as I have arthritic hands. It's a bummer. Don't tell anyone, I have never made jam. Or jelly. The air is clear today.
ReplyDeleteI'm looking at alternatives, to deal with the disappointment, we'll see. Consider your jam making delegated.
DeleteOh Liz. Much empathy from me.
ReplyDeleteThank you, you get it. I knew you would.
DeleteI just finished up my last strawberry jam from last year. Yum.
ReplyDeleteThe skeeters outside are a bit bothersome and the smoke has returned some, but the breezes are nice if one is on the ridge.
I also don't care if my jellies have foam on them, they are just as tasty as any other jelly or jam!
I have seen quite a bit of jams and jellies on display at the county fair though.
I wonder if it's only the cookbook writers who fuss about foam. And if there's ever been a poll on the subject.
DeleteWe've had hours of torrential rain and flood warnings but the air is still unhealthy. Maybe first it washes down the dirt from the upper atmosphere first. Then later maybe it goes away. I hope.
The foam on jam usually settles as it cools anyway - imagining divine scents from the cooking jam. Did you get a good set?
ReplyDeleteThe smell is wonderful. The set is okay.
DeleteI am terrible, my first blog wander for a week - and isn't life funny, how in this worldwide wander I go from GZ in Scotland making chutney and lo, you have strawberry jam on the stove. Homemade is the only way to have strawberry jam IMHO
ReplyDeletePickles and preserves the world over. That sounds good. Everyone's priorities straight.
DeleteOh, the end to knitting. I’m so very sorry.
ReplyDeleteIt's definitely a crossroads, because I've been doing it to give care to people who desperately need care. But I'm still looking for alternatives.
DeleteIt seems like it’s been wonderful volunteer work. I hope you find something that works for you (and, therefore, for others).
DeleteI've been sending them woven lanyards with anti ice whistles, and Tunisian crochet gloves, so I can continue that, I'm not done yet!
Delete