Saturday, February 7, 2026

Cold outside and Tibet

Here's where I am just now


Indoors I'm listening to The Queen who Came in from the Cold while trying this with the cotton yarn. 20 gauge copper wire ribs, with 28 gauge wrapping in the middle.



This may or may not work.  Nice try.

I saw a great online presentation from Textile Museum Associates of Southern California, TMASC,  about Tibet, textiles and culture, and found they were not permitting screenshots and write ups. 

There's another program in March which looks good, but I won't be doing screenshots. If you're interested, you can get in touch directly with TMASC and go from there. Registration is free and they send a link and reminders



Here's the March one

And the host recommended a couple of books



So that's us for now. People are less open to screenshots than they were -- when  they started doing online presentations, they were happy to boost the signal since I always give credit very clearly, complete with website information. 

But now I plan to just recommend good programs and let you follow up. I think you'll like them, definitely worth the extra effort.

The Queen who Came in from the Cold was very good, with all kinds of shocking twists and turns, highly recommended. Even the afternotes are good.

Now I've embarked on 


By Martin Edwards, whom I last heard on the Shedunnit podcast talking about clue detectives, and the mystery writer's skill in leaving clues for the attentive reader.

I came to find that this one is written in the form of a murder game, where the reader can take part at various levels of involvement. 

My first reaction was similar to when I encounter diy store check-outs -- I didn't come here to work!  But I'll give it a try. I really fancied just being a passenger in a mystery story where the writer did the work but I won't be too hasty here.  

Bitter wind today, not helped by sunshine. I'm not going out. I plan to read, bake banana bread and later eat some of same. 

Happy day everyone, keep warm/dry/cool/hydrated, rayez ce qui est inutile. 

That's my favorite bit of French bureaucratese, meaning delete that which is not applicable, hilarious in English, too. 

How does it go in Spanish? I bet the ancient Sumerian clay tablets have an equivalent.



 

47 comments:

  1. I've just started a new mystery series - Her Majesty the Queen Investigates. The first book is titled The Windsor Knot and they are by SJ Bennett. I can't decide if I like it or not yet as the 89 year old Queen secretly solves crimes which sounds a bit unbelievable but who knows? She was an amazing woman! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been talking about the series, and I really like it. It's not it very believable, but it's fun.

      Delete
    2. Im waiting on book 3 in the series from Libby at the library!

      Delete
  2. Isn’t it great that we can always find something to amuse us, while learning Or producing. If I had too. I could go days without turning on the television or just for a few hours before bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had a TV for many years, and no cable for years before that. There's plenty to do.

      Delete
  3. With that windchill, it's a perfect night to curl up on the couch with a mug of hot tea and a good murder mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the plan! It's the plan a lot of evenings, in fact.

      Delete
  4. Tacha lo que no sea necesario(?) maybe.

    Thanks for all the great book recommendations and the art. I hope you warm up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spanish, too, thank you. Maybe they don't even say it in Spanish bureaucracy. I bet you would love the books the Tmasc program director suggests.

      Delete
  5. It is a pity about the textiles screenshots and writeups - I am unlikely to actually follow it myself but always enjoy your doing so for me - second generation learning, as it were. Pity about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remote learning! It will save me a ton of work, writing, editing, uploading, but it seems not to be the thing now.

      Delete
    2. "a ton of work" which we have so appreciated!

      Delete
  6. “Tacha lo que es inútil” per Translate 🙃
    Thinking of you today, Liz, as I am finally reading The Grand Sophy.
    Hugs from Humboldt! 🌲💚 Mare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MARE!!! How is this? I was just thinking about you recently and wondering how you're doing and what you're doing, what a treat to see you in here!

      Delete
    2. Thriving on the far northern coast of California 💚 doing fun retired-person stuff (gardening, art, music, reading) now that I have all the time. 😽
      I'm happy to see your active blog.

      Delete
  7. Gadfrey, what a day to stay inside, close to the fire. Your reading is commendable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting tired of inside, but I expect the cold will lift sometime. I have the blessing of a warm house.

      Delete
  8. The copper wire weaving is off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Indoors weather indeed - stay warm and cozy!

    I'm hobbling about, having thrown out my back this past week doing nothing stupid. Thank goodness one of border collie Rowan's favorite tricks is picking up items on request and bringing them. She's about as good as your picker-upper. This too shall pass...grumble, grumble, grumble. Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a miserable thing, but I expect Rowan is happy. I hope you soon get past this, though.

      Delete
  10. We have no understanding of cold here in southern England. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. But then I grew up in North Yorkshire, where the cold wind comes straight from Siberia, so I had an intro to cold. Also to snowdrifts.

      Delete
  11. That's some rather nasty weather approaching. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot coffee and tea and a warm house definitely help, but the air is very dry, unusual for NJ.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. I have trouble breathing in extreme cold so it's an easy choice.

      Delete
  13. Stay cozy and enjoy the latest book. I just started the series about the queen as detective. Highly enjoyable. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how she does the strategizing and her people do the shootouts!

      Delete
  14. Cold here too and I'm getting heartily sick of it. As I write this the temp outside is -24C which translates as -11 F...and that's not accounting for the windchill. Very happy that it's a day of sloth and I can stay indoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the kind of cold you can't get out in gets old fast.

      Delete
  15. I can't even imagine that kind of cold and for that I am grateful.
    Stay cozy, dear lady. Do all the cozy things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm cooking, been baking, doing a bit of Valentine's Day prep, weaving, Pilates etc!

      Delete
  16. Wise to stay out of the cold and cosy indoors. It's just wet and dreary here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have bright sunshine, so there's that.

      Delete
  17. The east coast is certainly being pummeled. Staying inside with a book sounds about right to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do get a few days like this every winter, but we manage to forget about them between times

      Delete
  18. Too cold for sure. Nice to make baskets and listen to The Queen who Came in from the Cold. I will try to get these shows too. I invite you to share your post with SITAR today. Have a nice day and be as warm as you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really recommend the Queen detective series, just great fun with enough real people appearing here and there to anchor it. I suspect the writer has an in with the court circles.

      Delete
  19. Did you have someone actually complain about you using screenshots? That seems uncharitable, to say the least. You're boosting their signal, as you say.

    "Rayez ce qui est inutile" is indeed a hilarious phrase. And a good way to approach life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One followed me, found my email and demanded I remove the images -- from a year earlier! took her a while to get upset, two others refused. One was nice enough to thank me for asking. So I'm getting a different vibe now from pandemic times when all these programs went online and were eager to get viewers and followers. The most recent refusal came from someone who thanked me warmly years ago because I was helping increase their membership. I'm not up for being threatened with legal action!

      Delete
    2. I forgot to mention that I ran this by all of them at the outset, to be fair to them, and got their agreement.

      Delete
  20. The cold has been so unpleasant! I like snow, but this long period of cold has been quite something. And the dry air, as you said, is so unusual! I'm a good bit NE of you, but similar pattern here. One of my kids is having a tough go because he usually spends a half hour or so outside by himself after school. At present, we have too much snow to wander our backyard, which is his favorite activity to regulate himself after a long day (it's not that big of a yard, but it soothes him). It's deep enough still to over-top our boots! (I'm trying to convince him that pacing in the basement would work for now, but no sale yet on that.) A shame about no more screenshots from the presenters. You're taking a safe approach. It's just too bad that's necessary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's not just me, then, about the cold and dry. I'm familiar with that after school need for alone time to bridge school to home and recover from the day. Very hard when he can't get it.

      Delete
    2. Ah, I'd wondered if you were familiar with the needs of someone like my son. Here's hoping the snow melts soon!

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!