Thursday, May 11, 2023

Misfits box, azalea gone wild, weaving stage two, and burgers

 Today's Dove sighting

Still patiently sitting, the calm before the feeding frenzy.

The weaving is moving along, and today I unrolled the panel and realized it's plenty long enough for a skirt length, including waist and hem allowance. 



See the skirt I handmade a while back, laid on top, for length

I woke up this morning thinking about weaving pockets for the skirt, rather than knitting them. 

So today I figured that when you want another item off the same warp threads, you just leave a space and continue. Which is what I did.  

I left enough warp to have a fringed hem and maybe pocket. I've no idea if the weaving police will get me for this, but this is where I am. Pocket under way.

Once the pocket's done, the two current pieces will be freed from the windowsill and finished.

Then I'll do the same thing again. Once the current Sock Ministry pair is complete, I'll send it off then get to work on the knitted parts of the skirt. 

I'm spinning a while each evening to keep up yarn supplies. The colors will work nicely with the woven sections, I think, all rich but not shouty.

And, not having enough to do, I found an interesting idea for burgers using ingredients I have, so that's what happened




Onions, garlic, mushrooms, walnuts, chopped fine with a knife, since I don't have a food processor, unlike the YouTube lady. 

I started the pan with avocado oil, salt and chicken stock powder, then added in the doings. Fried ten minutes, then into a bowl to cool, with panko, an egg, ketchup because I don't have Worcestershire sauce, unlike the YouTube lady. 

It's chillin now in the fridge till I get some out to cook for supper, using a pita bread because I don't have sesame seed buns, unlike the YouTube lady.

The Misfits box arrived, and was hoisted into the house


The contents arrayed on the counter for forthcoming attractions. The apple juice and fancy raisins will go into a planned chutney, to go with a planned fish curry, using some of the tilapia in the freezer. Take that, YouTube lady!

After all this, the day having started with early morning fasting blood work,  I was ready to get into the sunshine and walk about admiring the quarreling birds duking it out for nesting rights, and this azalea

Which is not a giant cake, though you may wonder.

And now my time's divided between reading this


And this


One an eBook the other a bookbook.

So I think I'll get a cup of tea and wander out to the patio to do that.

Happy day everyone, enjoy all the things!




 




24 comments:

  1. I am sorry but that IS a cake! Or at least a most lovely and delicious-looking azalea confection.
    All right. Did I miss something. So you're going to weave the skirt material? I don't know what to call it. And some of it will be knit? I am having a difficult time envisioning that.
    How was the mushroom/walnut burger? I will be curious to hear that report.
    And by the way- Youtube Lady would probably approve of all of your changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you missed a post recently. The planned skirt has straight woven front and back panels, and the sides will be knitted panels, shaped into the waist. It's possible that there will be knitting between the straight panels, too, for fitting.

      Delete
  2. You are weaving a skirt? I can't wait! Mushrooms are the end of any hope of my making the burgers. I cannot eat them. Enjoy your time on the patio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be a while, since I have to spin and ply the knitting yarn

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to see the finished product. You are a very talented person.
    That azalea is just gorgeous.
    Reading in the sunshine. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very nice finish I used to hate to make was a simple turn back and weave in. First weave a couple of finishing rows of very fine sewing thread, to turn against. Then turn back each warp thread and re-weave it against itself. Use a fine crochet hook or a needle, if the warp thread is long enough. You could finish the bottom the same way, if you wanted.
    The recipes sound lovely and must have tasted that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the finishing tip. Yes, the food tasted good up to now.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I. guess doing stuff is my default mode.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. The forced early start for lab work seems to have doubled the day length. I couldn't be up and dashing about that early for any other reason.

      Delete
  7. That is one very interesting azalea. And yes in my sleep groggy state it did look like a cake lol
    I’m like you. If I don’t have an ingredient I don’t panic I either substitute or leave it out. Unlike most on YouTube I’m very interested in seeing the skirt once it’s done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's like making clothes without a pattern, you figure out how to get to your results one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've got talent: weaving, knitting. To me, it is all greek, I'm afraid.
    Your burgers sound very appealing! After a day's work, you deserve the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt that way after a busy day. I hope you enjoy reading about the fiber arts, as a non participant, though.

      Delete
  10. That azalea looks amazing! I loved the Worsley "Agatha" (but then, she's a fave of mine -- they both are) and Leon never disappoints! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished weaving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I'm enjoying both books, different, both good. Usually those azaleas are wildly overgrown, all over the place. It's odd to see one clipped like that.

      Delete
  11. Well, I missed this one as I seem to do with a lot. I have a vegetarian cookbook that is many decades old and it has a recipe for a nut loaf which I have made several times. kind of like a meatloaf but with three kinds of nuts ground up and onions and garlic probably and other stuff I don't really recall. tastes nothing like meatloaf but I liked it. nobody else in the family did though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think naming helps here. If something is expected to be "like" meatloaf, people won't like it when it isn't. It's not supposed to be.

      Delete
  12. Ahhh now the burgers are clear - not for a feline though. My humans might be impressed. Xxx Mr T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you should point this out to them? They may miss it..

      Delete
  13. I remember making 'meatballs' using nuts when our #1 daughter-in-love came on the scene. Back then she was a vegetarian and she liked them. We did too, but we haven't made them since.
    You've reminded me that I wanted to try reading Donna Leon so I'll have to put her on my library list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leon has written a lot, so you've got plenty to choose from. I read them in any order, but some people like them in the order written.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!