Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Strawberries are in, more or less, mammo art and Boyz with Toyz II

This morning I retrieved my car from the next street, noticed both my own slots at my house have been illegally claimed by who knows who, and went for the squashogram. 

 In the waiting room there was this bowl of art, made from paper and other natural materials


 On the way home I noticed this


So I pulled in and found


Ah. I was a few minutes early, but worth waiting for the first strawberries.  So they opened up and I found this year -- no mention of this on website or in email -- a small container has gone from last year's high of $6 to $8. 

Which was more cash than I had available. I'll take another run after I've been to the bank. I rarely use cash but was hoping the $7 I had would work.

Homeward, reparked in the place I used yesterday in the next street, and then Boyz with Toyz II started up.




Eventually leaving me with nice fancy patchwork outside my door 


I'm hoping to retrieve my parking spot soon 

And lunch called, with no plans. So I made what I call Welsh rarebit, sister Dogonart used to call that thing Liz makes and my Mom used to call just eat it, nevermind.



In at 380°f for 20 minutes


On pita bread but good on toast, too. Enough for two more lunches.  

The drink is the liquid drained from the tomatoes, with lemon juice and a drop of water, very nice too. 

I expect this could be a brunch idea with a drop of vodka or gin in the glass, and maybe a stick of celery.

This afternoon I plan to finish and press that second sock to get a package out in the mail tomorrow,  with the scarf and the other socks.

Then I'll get on with the knitted parts of the skirt.

Happy day everyone, let's hope all our test results are good. I won't know mine for a day or two.




22 comments:

  1. That looks interesting. I might have to do a Google search when I get home and see if I can make it.
    Hope you can park back close to home soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made it up long ago. Just a buttered dish, glass looks nice, tomatoes, sharp cheddar, eggs, salt pepper. 380°f 20 minutes. That's it. Not even a recipe really. Good ingredients count.

      Delete
  2. Squashogram! 😆 I need to schedule one. That thing Liz makes actually looks pretty good. I didn't know where you were going with it, you went someplace good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it some time. You can make it practically any size depending on how many to feed.

      Delete
  3. I love your kitchen creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one's very good, also easy to make.

      Delete
  4. Not sure it's a welsh rarebit but it does look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can attach your own name for it, if you make it. Aussie Surprise, or something!

      Delete
  5. Enjoy this woven wedding dress: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2023/may/23/eco-designer-shows-off-biodegradable-wedding-dress-at-chelsea-flower-show
    Greetings from Switzerland a

    ReplyDelete
  6. We might try it with a few croutons. F does a version that has chili in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you get your parking spot back soon, Boud. The parking space roulette is a nuisance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back to normal now. More or less. It feels better.

      Delete
  8. Good luck with your squashogram results!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's always a good feeling to have gotten that mammogram DONE! I am sorry that you couldn't celebrate with fresh strawberries.
    Hey! Your comment from the other day FINALLY showed up in my spam file this morning. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been getting comments from years ago -- yesterday one from 2013!
      The strawberries may be one treat, but I doubt if I'll buy enough for jam this year.

      Delete
  10. I love your make-do "Bloody Mary." That's a good way to use the tomato juice. Eight bucks for a pint of strawberries -- is a "small container" a pint? -- seems a little insane, but on the other hand I don't know how much they are here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the same size container that was $5 two years ago, sigh. I guess everything is more expensive but they can't blame the supply chain -- the field is fifty yards from the farm stand!

      Delete
  11. I love the name your Mother had for Welsh Rarebit...somehow a fitting moniker.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!