Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Textiles and Tea and chicken and biscuits

 The 165th cold grey cloudy rainy day is here. Yesterday I fought back

Roast chicken, buttered and garlicked and hot biscuits. 



After Misfits brings the coconut milk tomorrow, there will be curried chicken. Today it's picking on roast chicken.

And I finished the current jigsaw puzzle

I'll donate this to the library lending collection after I've finished admiring it 

And yesterday's Textiles and Tea featured



She weaves tapestries, specializing in wedge weaving, her own way. This is a weaving approach creating angular designs and developed by Navajo weavers, whose work is like this

She makes it clear that she honors their tradition and art, but is careful to follow her own design ideas, as you see. Following are her tapestries 



She makes hand drawn notes and design diagrams, not computer assisted. She prefers natural dyes and has been exploring indigo, cochineal and mineral colors, to get depth rather than subtlety in color.




And she doesn't plan on writing a book, because her notes are easy to access on-line. 

News from the nest, right now

Mrs Dove in residence.

Happy day everyone, discussion group this afternoon if it doesn't start hailing, or grauping, some kind of precipitation.  Enjoy your day, whatever the weather.




24 comments:

  1. My favorite, garlicky roasted chicken! Yum. The weaving is intricate and lovely. I do hope your rain stops soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already sampled it. There's an amazing amount of meat on these small misfits chickens. More than on a bigger supermarket one, I think. The rain has to stop soon. It has to.

      Delete
  2. Looks like it was a fun jigsaw puzzle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a Springbok, they have interesting piece shapes and good photography. Nice combo.

      Delete
  3. Great puzzle and delicious-looking chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely roasted chicken! Food of the goods.
    I do like that weaver's colors but her designs don't excite me. Please don't tell her I said that.
    Mrs. Dove is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, I wasn't much interested in her design either. Very literal. She mentioned that she was encouraged away from art studies way back. I think her teachers could see her imagination wasn't up to her skills. The wedge weave technique is her main focus.

      Delete
  5. Great puzzle. I love them. Off for a few days -- see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tigger is drooling over the roasted chicken. F is drooling over the weaving. Great colours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've enjoyed the puzzle, and even had chicken for dinner. Those biscuits look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biscuits are just the thing with chicken. I made them with avocado oil instead of olive, abd they're much lighter, so that's my go to now.

      Delete
  8. Roast chicken is one of my favourite meals. Yours looks delicious! Lots of mels there! Yea for mother dove!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had slices of chicken breast with hot biscuits fir supper, sprinkle of sea salt, very good.

      Delete
  9. I think your biscuits are our scones.
    We have them with cream and jam. Yummy
    Your chicken looks very appetising indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chicken is a good one, free range, organic, all that. It tastes like actual chicken, unlike the sad little supermarket ones.

      Delete
  10. Lukas would love some chicken but for the garlic which like onion can cause life threatening liver damage, In the sixties here and chilly in this abode. Nice puzzle. Cooking here today...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of my animals have ever wanted onion, so around here it's been self regulating! What you cooking?

      Delete
  11. That puzzle looks so colourful! And that chicken looks so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot of meat on the chicken, several meals, all good.

      Delete
  12. Haven't had roast chicken in a long time because we tend to buy pieces which for some reason seem to be cheaper here. Yours looks very tasty!
    That looks like a fun puzzle and one that I'm sure lots of people will enjoy via the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that the whole chicken works out no more expensive in terms of cost per meal, because these chickens are so meaty. And you're not paying for the labor of cutting and assembling of parts. So I think I'm converted.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!