Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Textiles and Tea, jigsaw puzzle, and garden arrival

Yesterday's Textiles and Tea featured Scottish weaver Cally Booker and her joyful approach to weaving patterns. There were technical hitches, she being in Aberdeen and the signal sometimes breaking down, but here's the slides we saw




This is two views of the River Tay, one its silvery water, the other a view from the Tay Bridge coming across to the city, with sunset reflections.


Here's a five year daily study on Arctic ice melting, the melt being the blue area, the rest the ice, taken from scientific reporting of the measurements. Left the piece, right a detail.




 
This work, a scarf, describes her local shoreline at the mouth of the River Tay.

She's a narrative weaver.



This is a collaborative work created with a Canadian architect, about identity.


And here's double huck, which I don't know anything about except she loves it.

And yesterday I went to the local library, to donate that jigsaw puzzle about canned vegetables, which they were happy to receive. 

While there I looked at the collection and see Rose's donations in the lineup. They're often out, so I'd say that's a good destination for them.

And, seems I can't get away from yarn, here's my borrowed current puzzle



Neighbor Aditha came to see the dove on the nest very cautiously, 



and give me a curry leaf plant


I love cooking with curry leaves, anywhere you might use a bay leaf. It's a deep lovely flavor. Indian vegetarian cooks like to use for rich flavor, and they're right.

Great discussion group this afternoon, mostly to the right of me, but it's kept impersonal, so it's quite enlightening. 

The men don't interrupt, quite a novelty  in my experience. We had a substitute moderator, who did okay, though not as prepared as the regular one.

The Haggard Hawks puzzle answer is:

OYSTER

which I think quite a few people not only got, but created great clues about, thank you. 

Happy day everyone, speak up, you're entitled. Don't be a clam!




22 comments:

  1. That new jigsaw is right up your alley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's not huck as I remember, but perhaps I only wove one kind. I only wove it once. It's a plain weave fabric with regular skips of two threads. It's a three harness fabric. You can buy huck fabric at a fabric shop and make lovely embroidery patterns by running the embroidery needle and thread under selected two thread skips. I'm sure your library has books with huck drafts. I think it can be woven on a rigid heddle loom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They said this is double huck. Also that very few people weave it. But I don't know, as I said!

      Delete
  3. At first glade I thought the puzzle was a box of yarn. Fun either way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a nice puzzle. Good to know about curry leaves. Narrative weaver is an interesting description.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Springbok puzzles, very well made, great picture definition, and the pieces are sturdy.

      Delete
  5. Yes yarn is in our life and we can’t escape it lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. That dove probably thinks you can't see her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a thought! Like dogs hiding half their bodies and thinking they're completely hidden! Golden retrievers come to mind.

      Delete
  7. My favorite of all of these is the river view-informed shawl. The colors I love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also thought it was a box of yarn. The dove seems quite calm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a picture that will fool you.

      Delete
  9. interesting work, the weavings. so nice to see the mourning dove with her blue eyeliner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're beautiful birds, often overlooked among more brilliantly colored birds.

      Delete
  10. That will be a really fun puzzle! I had a curry plant once but it didn't look at all like yours -- more like a rosemary plant. It was wonderful to use in food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose there are different varieties of curry leaf plants. I'm going to find out more.

      Delete
  11. I'm familiar with the huck fabric as Joanne referenced above and once in my misguided youth I thought it would be smart to buy enough to make a blanket. Needless to say it never got finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember our enbroiderers guild doing something with huck, the single huck Joanne has woven. Aprons or some thing.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!