Friday, May 19, 2023

Spring, and plying

 Signs of spring


Sage in bloom



Roses planted by birds budding up


Thai basil reseeding itself


What I come down to in the morning

Today I woke up thinking about plying, so I thought I'd do some.

I found the heavier spindle I use to ply, then set up a way to keep the threads from tangling. You can get quite elaborate setups for this purpose, but this works fine

I spun these singles clockwise, so I plied counterclockwise, as in z then s. This is how you get plied yarn.



Chunky, as you see. I need to do quite a bit more spinning and plying before I start knitting skirt panels. 

Tomorrow I think I'll set up the warp for the next woven panel. First I find wherever I carefully put the yarn, so as to wind it into balls. 

This afternoon is the knitting group, so that's when I'll get on with that final sock for the current package. After that's gone I'll get into figuring out the knitted skirt panels and even maybe knitting them, who knows.

Life's a banquet!

Enjoy your day, everyone, Nadine invites you to feast on.





22 comments:

  1. Beautiful view, you have a cozy deck.
    Love the mouse door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to meet Nadine. I'm way over my knowlege of yarns when you talk about it...but can't wait to see results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's good to let the yarn narrative just flow over you until there's something to see!

      Delete
  3. You can see the signs of spring here in London. We are all reaching for the antihistamine tablets lol
    Such an exciting time of year in the garden I can’t wait to see the skirt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're in the spring hemisphere right now. The skirt will be a while yet.

      Delete
  4. That looks like a good rain. I have some early iris in bloom, that's it. Oh, lilac, too. I have no idea what you are doing with the yarn, too much for my limited comprehension. Hi, Nadine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just let the yarn flow over you! You and Nadine can roll your eyes together.

      Delete
  5. Reseeding basil - wonderful! I detected that savory from last year seeded in a container on my balcony.
    The tiny mouse is fun - and the idea of the mouse hole absolutely great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All his chalk art is trompe l'oeil. It's wonderful.

      Delete
    2. Wow! That gives me an idea which will delectate the triplets....

      Delete
    3. I'm wondering which part gave you an exciting idea.. And what's the idea.

      Delete
  6. You are starting to see signs of spring and we are walking through the door to summer. This is the way of it.
    That little mouse is so darn cute.
    Birds can plant roses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birds eat the rose hips, poop the seed, perfect little fertilizer package, and it takes root. There's bushes of this all over the development.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. It's lovely every year, just like a decorative plant but also a working herb.

      Delete
  8. I didn't realize roses can re-seed that easily, though we DO have some volunteer roses in our garden as well. (I think I killed one of them accidentally when I was trimming this spring...OOPS.)

    I love your deck. It looks so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These roses are the invasive weed kind though they do at least have flowers unlike the other accursed wild weeds. I spend a lot of time on the deck. And it's the main view from the living room.

      Delete
  9. Your view of the back deck and the trees is a lovely way to greet the day. The roses are a wonderful gift from the birdies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so nice to see things blooming, whether they be intentially planted or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the accidental ones most, I think such a gift.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!