Thursday, May 18, 2023

Cleaners, seeds and plans

Today being the day the cleaners come Chez Boud, I usually stay out and group my errands to do then. After a fruitless search for non-box-store plant nurseries, for my spring planting, my old faves apparently gone, I turned my thoughts instead to seeds.

Tried the local dollar store which I've never been in, and oh look, seeds




So for two dollars I scored eight little packets, for annuals. If you scream and point at the dreaded morning glory , here they're a harmless annual, wiped out by winter cold, not an invasive. And I love them.

I think it will be fun tending seeds, haven't done it in a while, other than basil, Italian and Thai.

Then to another store to pick up potting soil in small enough bags I can heft them.

And a lovely little coleus, haven't had one for ages, also a chive plant since my own finally stopped going last year and I do like chives.

So here's the homeward trip


And the coleus repotted and in its new home out front


The seeds will take their turn, maybe in the earth, maybe pots, TBA.

While I was out, my dear cleaning family accepted my Misfits box, which I found in the hallway, must have arrived very early




And here's the array, missing only the shrimp I'd ordered, which they'd messaged me about ahead. So my shrimp curry will be postponed, but I think I'll manage not to starve. 

Lovely dried apricots available, which I eat for breakfast, or any time, and which will be a great chutney ingredient any minute now.

About dried apricots, I found that there's a difference between dried Turkish apricots and Turkish dried apricots. 

The first are supposed to come from Turkey, and the second refer to the drying method. Turkish dried is where they're dried,  then pitted, instead of the other way round. They can and do come from California.  It results in a much juicier and tender fruit. 

I'm sure you've been living just to learn this. On the subject of dried fruit, both Gary and Handsome Son loved the maroo raisins without knowing they were anything special. So maybe the growers have a point.

In case the excitement of this post is getting too much, I am also reading a very entertaining Marie Benedict


Apparently this is a fictional account of the sisters, one of them the writer Nancy Mitford, one married the fascist Mosley among other people, another married  a Duke, one was Jessica, who famously wrote an expose of the American funeral industry and was a passionate communist, and there was Unity, close Nazi friend of Hitler. And one sister lived a quiet life as a farmer.

And there was a son who died in the Spanish civil war fighting against the forces some of his sisters supported. Interesting family in real life, so I'll see how they unfold in fiction. 

This writer evidently works in this pattern, taking famous actual people, including Agatha Christie, as her characters. It might be my summer's patio reading.

Are you up for a puzzle before I prep and put away my Misfits and do the laundry?

Here


Happy day everyone, take it easy, aka, do what I say, not what I do.





27 comments:

  1. I bought some plants on Tuesday. My morning glories reseed every year. I don't mind at all. I've never been in a dollar store. I don't even know where one is, although I know they have to be around. That is a great price for seeds. I will do as you say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! My mind instantly snapped shut on the answer!

    We love and grow all the same annuals, and though we are locked in a battle with perennial bindweed aka morning glory, we do love the annual varieties. My favorite is Heavenly Blue. Your coleus adds a nice color pop to the patio.

    Chris from Boise

    I'm glad to know about Turkish dried vs dried Turkish apricots. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great clue there! The coleus is a good color for coming in, in the fall, too. I might have to start it again over winter, we'll see.

      Delete
  3. Instantaneous puzzle answer! How neat is that? Didn't even have to think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. It's just enough to be fun, not a chore. My speed.

      Delete
  5. How I love zinnias. How I miss my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No community garden where you live? Around here just about all the retirement places have small plots for residents to work. Maybe you could prevail on them to set aside a little area?

      Delete
  6. I love dried apricots and now I know why some are juicier than others.
    I will give that author a try. Sounds like my sort of book.
    I think I have the answer but I could be taking the mickey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great clue again! The book is pretty good, fast moving, sister to sister to sister.

      Delete
  7. Great score on the seeds. Your garden will be blooming in no time

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those Morning Glory are indeed worthy of their name (glorious) but my word they seed freely. Do your winters really kill off all those seeds? We wish you successful germination of your seeds and a colourful garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not all that easy in my experience to get morning glory going in my garden, and very easy to end it over the winter. I've never had them reseed. So I'm hopeful when I plant them,even after the usual prep for large seeds.

      Delete
  9. So, have you got a favorite Mitford? Good Luck with the seeds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the one I like is the rarely heard of Pam, who was a farmer. She's mentioned here but didn't draw attention to herself.

      Delete
  10. It's hard to feel negative about morning glories.
    You got collard greens! What are you going to do with them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what I'll do with the collard greens. Maybe stir fry. I've been taken to task for planting morning glories by people who live in states where they're banned, but I think they were thinking about bindweed, its wild relative. Even that's not a pest here, because of winter.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  11. I wonder about $ store seeds, but I imagine that you just need some of them to work out, and they probably will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my thinking. I've had terrible germination rates from much more expensive seeds, so anything I get is fine!

      Delete
  12. I'll be potting plants this afternoon. I went to the garden center yesterday and didn't take a single photo. I just wanted to get out of there, it was so crowded! I came home with some herbs and geraniums for the cemetery, all good. The Mitford book sounds interesting. They intrigue me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do well in crowds, either. The nursery where I used to get herbs seems to be permanently closed, sigh.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!