Friday, May 5, 2023

Food, nature notes and Battle of Puebla Day

Today is May 5, Battle of Puebla Day, a short -lived victory of Mexican forces against a French invasion. Not a public holiday in Mexico, but seemingly celebrated more in the US. 

It reminds me of St Patrick's Day which is pretty low key and religious in Ireland, but a blowout party day in the US. 

It's also not Mexican independence day, which comes September 16. But we can party twice.

On to food, and Misfits lovely cornucopia



Setting aside some fresh celery and carrots for salad, the rest is prepped and frozen, the carrot peelings and celery-end in the freezer stock bag.

And the arrival of the coconut milk, in anticipa-a-a-ation of chicken curry, I got out the Bill Veach book of curries and chutneys, opened it to my favorite Buckingham Palace chicken curry..


To be studied with tea, fresh hot biscuit/scone thing and newly arrived Misfits blueberries.

It's pretty clear when a recipe is a favorite, as you see.  Not particularly celebrating the KCIII party tomorrow, when an array of looted jewels will be set on a couple of heads for reasons which escape this anti monarchist old lady. This is just a nice recipe, ingredients come by honestly.

This is the book I use for my curry powder mixes, too. 

So that will happen in the next day or two after which the chicken carcase will take its place in soup.

Meanwhile, here's today's Dove Family sighting. 

As you see, the surrounding henbit is growing rapidly and providing great concealment. Smart choice chez Dove.

And here's the sum total of flowers to show you

Best the Christmas, or Easter, or maybe Whitsun, cactus can do at this time.

Happy day everyone, knitting group later and we'll see what's up there.




24 comments:

  1. Nice post and what a wonderful box of food. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently garlic is one of the foods prohibited by the royal family. That curry looks simple and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's because of meeting people, not wanting to breathe fumes. QEII wasn't known to be an adventurous diner anyway.

      Delete
    2. I think it's about not wanting garlic breath when they meet and greet. Also QEII wasn't known as an adventurous diner.

      Delete
  3. Americans will embrace any holiday that involves tacos and tequila, I would think. Just makes sense, right?
    I love to read the comments on the NYT's recipes and your celery reminded me of some I read the other day about celery. Someone wrote that there is a huge difference between a "stalk" of celery and a "rib." That if a recipe calls for three stalks of celery it would take a very large pan. They were quite indignant about this. They may be right but come on- just use some common sense and get on with it. People do get riled about the strangest things.
    We will be having chicken and dumplings tonight as two of the grands are coming over and that is what they want. I took some chicken broth out of the freezer to cook the chicken I bought to go with the dumplings in. It will be double-chicken-y!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had someone a while back having a go at me over the correct meaning of broccoli stems! I said I meant the whole little tree thing, they maintained a stem was only the stalk part. No end to what people want to argue about.

      Delete
  4. Lots of good stuff came in the box. I don't feel I have a right to comment on The Monarchy, but if I did I would be antimonarchist! You certainly do like the recipe. I have a few pages like that myself. Chez Dove is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strictly speaking as the latest arrival of 175 years of my family on this continent, I probably don't either!

      It doesn't stop me, since I personally was discriminated against by the anti Catholic laws, growing up in the UK. Laws were passed during the Reformation to stop the likes of me, in case we wanted the jewels for ourselves or something.

      Delete
  5. I love your description of the coronation! And I absolutely agree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see what you did there frankenfurter lol
    I just purchased two of the cactuses and they have lots of red buds. Unfortunate I think they will flower while I’m away. So I might have to get hubby to send me pics when they do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can be sure they'll flower in your absence. It's a law of nature.

      Delete
    2. A friendly post, top to bottom. The curry page seems to have taken a large splat of blood or chocolate sauce. And Mrs. Dove may be wishing the leaves grow over her very soon.

      Delete
    3. The page got s lot of curry sauce over the years.

      Delete
  7. I’m with you on this coronation! I won’t be watching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such an anachronism. We all tolerated the old queen because she was likeable and showed up without complaining, always courteous. Her son, not so much.

      Delete
  8. Oh, I like your description of the coronation! I'm with you on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather there was pretty rainy. I bet everyone's ermine got wet.

      Delete
  9. I made chicken curry with cilantro and dill rice a couple of weeks ago.

    I have no intention of giving one second of attention to the coronation. don't care about the monarchy and do not understand the American fascination with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never heard of Battle of Puebla Day. That's a new one on me! I caught the coronation out of the corner of my eye as I did other things. I'm mostly just glad to have it over with, though I do like Charles and Camilla and I'm glad they've come into their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect most people haven't heard of it, because it's often assumed it's independence day, so it isn't named.

      Delete
  11. Not a particular fan of the entire hype around the crowning and certainly wasn't about to get out of bed at 3 am to watch the proceedings.
    Your cookbook looks much like ours only we sport the addition of a great many happy (or sad) faces, depending on our degree of satisfaction with the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny about making notes on whether or not to make a recipe again. Good idea, too.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!