Saturday, May 13, 2023

Bougie sweatshirts, and other marvels including curry leaf plants

 Yesterday's knitting group was a lovely big meeting, well, big for this group --  eight people. And here are a couple of marvels

Bougie sweatshirt is Serena's pattern, and there's all that's left of the yarn on the right there. I think there should be a Yarn Chicken Award for this.



and look at this amazing yarnover pattern, looping back and forward over the surface, Sandy at it again. She makes wonderful stitch patterning in solid colors.

Note that all knits I show are works in progress, not yet finished nor blocked. Even so, you can see the skills. There was an embroiderer there at work, too, but no pic, also other projects you've seen before. And my inevitable sock.

It's always a great discussion ranging this week from Long Covid to groundhogs, birth order, grandchildren, complete with latest pictures, book club choices, Misfits market, passports, Italy, underage children's id issues, public gardens in NJ. And more.

Speaking of gardens, following on Jeanie's comment about my new curry leaf plant, she mentioned her one-time curry plant which looked different, more like rosemary. So I checked and found this.

Here's her curry plant, I think 


And here's my curry leaf plant 

They're different, but both aromatic and good for flavor in cooking. 

And they're herbs, not spices. They're not related to curry powder, which is a mixture of ground spices, not herbs. 

I've been there a number of times with people who say oh, but I don't like curry when I talk about how good the curry leaf is for flavor. I don't know how the names came about but i don't use curry leaves in making curry!

Jeanie, thank you for raising an interesting little byway for me to wander down.

Then today the ever patient Dove Parent

Buried deeper and deeper, probably hoping the chicks will soon peep.

Coming back in to report on the home-made laundry detergent, which I used yesterday. It's great, cleaned very well and colors came up bright, clearly residue of earlier detergents had been removed, too. And I made a gallon, which will last ages, at one cup per load. So I can recommend it.

Happy day everyone, happy mother's day tomorrow, if it's celebrated where you are. Handsome Son is working, as usual on a Sunday, but I expect I'll hear from him.

Enjoy your day and remember you don't have to have your own human children to be a Mom! There's honorary Moms, too, to people and pets and wildlife. Here's Billy the Grandpup.


 

18 comments:

  1. There is beautiful work going on in that knitting group for sure. Happy Mother’s Day, Boud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they marvelous knitters? I just plod along with my socks. Happy mother's day, Marie.

      Delete
  2. Curries don't have to be hot or overly spicey. People who say that hate curry have obviously not had a good one.
    Happy mother's day to you, Boud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people don't like even the idea of spicy! Happy mother's day!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful knitting projects.
    I envy your socks. I think your very clever indeed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They seem ordinary after making so many.

      Delete
  4. The colour of that first sweatshirt is gorgeous! Happy Mother's day to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, that seagreen will look wonderful on her, too.

      Delete
  5. What amazingly talented knitters there are in that group!
    I think that Mother's Day should be about mothering as much as being a mother. There were so many women who mothered me in ways that my own mother never could and I owe so much of whatever goodness I have to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree about mothering. I've been mothered by lovely women young enough to be my daughters! I did have a good relationship with my mom, but I was twenty when she died after I'd helped nurse her, so literal mothering had already ended when I was in my teens. But, as you say, it's available elsewhere. Likewise making family when your birth family isn't there for you.

      Delete
  6. What a fun post! And interesting about the two curries! That sweater/sweatshirt. Sigh. It's absolutely fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she great? It hasn't taken her long to knit it, either. I thought you'd be interested in the different plants with similar names.

      Delete
  7. That yarn over creation is wonderful, is it her own pattern and is she willing to share (or sell), or share a link if it is already online? The finished one is also innovative and a beautiful colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She usually uses designer patterns. Next time I see her, I'll ask.

      Delete
  8. Your knitting group is obviously filled with inspiration. Interesting how the cable is formed on the first one.
    Happy Mother's Day, even though I'm behind in commenting again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any day is good to wish mother's day. Yes, I'm constantly impressed by the work in the group. My socks look pretty simple in comparison.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!