Friday, May 12, 2023

Skirt update, shy azalea and burgers

I made two burgers for supper yesterday, as you see. Pretty good, but I think they need another name. I'm not interested in pretending something's meat when it's a delicious something else. 

They worked out fine, browned up well, with a bit of Dijon mustard and ketchup, all inserted into the pita bread you see. Half a dozen others are now in the freezer, ready for next time I feel like them.

And here's this morning's sightings

A dove more concealed than ever by the henbit and


A shy azalea, engulfed by ground cover and daylilies.

I realized after a couple of people yesterday said skirt? what skirt? that my recent passing mention had escaped everyone. Also I forgot you're not all at the knitting group hearing me boring on about it. 

So here's a screenshot of the first thinking I was doing ages ago, at that time thinking felting.  Now I think weaving and knitting will do it


I have the paper pattern somewhere. The idea is from Sarah Swett, but I'll adapt it. I'm still doing the straight panels like hers, we'll see how many, and the current weaving I showed you is one of them.  The shaping is done by the wedge-shaped knitted sections, yet to be spun, plied and knitted.

There! All clear. I think.  

This afternoon is the knitting group. Last week I didn't do pictures, no new work, except a lovely new member, wardrobe director for a local ballet school, stitching  bodices for an upcoming performance.  

I didn't think it was proper to take pictures before they were public property, seen by their audience. She was hugely entertaining with stories of her life and work and dealing with last minute design changes by the ballet ptb, involving miles of orange frills and that sort of challenge.

Happy day everyone, and here's a puzzle involving a phenomenon most of us may not be adept at, speaking personally, anyway 



Puzzle on, funny clues please! 







26 comments:

  1. Okay! Now I understand! And this will definitely be a winter skirt!
    I'm with you on the use of the term "burger". I suppose we could just substitute the word "patty".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally a cold weather skirt, yes. Patty could work. I would like something posher!

      Delete
  2. haven't been up long enough to even try the word puzzle. the skirt sounds complicated. since I wear them for comfort during our summers, a simple gathered skirt works fine for me. and I guess your 'burger' isn't really meat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a fitted winter skirt, warm being important. The yellow skirt I measured against is a gathered waist summer skirt, soon to be seasonal.

      Delete
  3. From the technical corner, some free advice that's been puzzling me, when installing an antiquated gizmotchie, to avoid a short, cut the wires extra long and use some sticky tape. That will solve the puzzling problem.

    Tom who must remain anonymous because the big "G" likes it like that.
    Good morning Boud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, haven't seen you in a while! Very glad to have your longform clue..

      Delete
  4. Wonderful clue! Would never have got the puzzle without that! Can't wait to see that skirt finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's great, isn't he? The skirt will be a while!

      Delete
  5. Call it a mushroom melange. Now I understand how it will become a skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only here do people talk mushrooms and skirts in a single breath.

      Delete
  6. You could name your dish - ‘Rissole au Fungi’.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm. Interesting thought about the burgers. Now I'm going to be stuck on your word puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been preparing meals for the summer so there isn’t as much cooking. I am not a burger lover but I will do some for my husband, beef of course. Company is coming too. They like burgers though. It’s so nice when much of the prep is done already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to have food prepped, because I probably won't feel like cooking to schedule!

      Delete
  9. We have some backlog reading and catching up to do. That skirt looks like an interesting idea. We await the big reveal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have just been starting to think of burgers on the barbie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hear you on not liking names that suggests an alternative food will be like the more familiar item. When I first made turkey burgers we both found them tasty, but my taste buds and my brain fought what "burger" means to me (which is something made of red meat). I've only made them twice because of this. Until reading this I thought I was just weird. Now I'm thinking if I just call them turkey patties I might get over my unsureness about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naming can be an import factor, since food is so personal. I fancy calling mine croquettes! Fancy word, not implying the lack of anything. Your turkey burgets could be croquettes dindes, ( French turkey), making them all French and exotic.

      Delete
  12. I like the idea of serving burgers in pitas because often I find the bun to just be too over the top. Hmmm.....pondering...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're sure that's not veering dangerously close to cooking??

      Delete
    2. Nope! I'll just plant the idea in Resident Cook's brain.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!