Monday, May 15, 2023

Nature notes, weaving, lace and fish

 Sad little nature note this morning



It looks as if the mourning doves have deserted the nest. I saw a dove on the fence above the nest, but the one egg I could see is rolled off, nobody's sitting. It might be disturbance from humans, two visits from neighbors yesterday, or animals -- where's the other egg? -- but nobody's there now.

Mourning doves and other birds do desert nests and eggs, part of what happens in nature, but I felt sad anyway.

In happier news, here's the first skirt panel and pocket, off the loom and ready for finishing and using. I think I'll make all the panels first, then finish as needed.


And here's where that handful of dandelion leaves went


.
Tilapia poached in milk, sauce made from a bit of shrimp stock from the freezer, minced dandelion greens, dash of milk, bit of sugar, steamed carrots. And I tried the chutney, very good, even if I tried it a bit before its time.
 

There's plenty more fish, for a second lunch like this, then probably a curry, too.

Yesterday I decided since the weather is finally warmer, in the 70s, I could retire the red felt winter door curtain, and hang the green and white striped canvas summer one

And take a look at this Spanish lace, with its original architectural design inspiration, top right picture 


Off for yet another Covid booster this morning, recommended now for people over 65, also people with health risks. They're going to need to add another page to my certificate at this rate. I'm already on the back of it.

Happy day everyone, take it as it comes. Expectations are what do us in, better handle with care.

Oh, and the answer to the latest Haggard Hawks puzzle is

SHORTCUT

Tom gave a great clue. Always read the comments when you're baffled by a puzzle.




34 comments:

  1. I think doves just go ahead and make another nest, and raise several broods a season. But I share sadness that those eggs were lost. Moorish lace makers probably were the first inspiration for the stone masons as well...or even the wood screens that were carved so beautifully to let women see out, but not be seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting addition to our knowledge, thank you.

      Delete
  2. Such sad news about the mourning doves' nest and eggs, alas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. too bad about the dove nest. I think probably a predator since one of the eggs is missing. I wondered why you had a door curtain but I see you have a full light glass door. with your winter a curtain definitely helps keep the cold out and I suppose for summer, privacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That door faces west so the afternoon sun glares off the floor, blindingly. In winter the metal regular front door needs the curtain inside, to stop cold infiltrating. And when I open it, there's better light downstairs. In summer when I sometimes leave the front door open, storm door closed year round, the canvas curtain is a great heat blocker.

      Delete
  4. It's disappointing to know we won't see baby doves. You still get some light through the canvas curtain, this is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows, maybe they'll try again. Yes, the afternoon light is so strong you still get plenty even with the curtain closed.

      Delete
  5. Oh, poor doves! I am so sorry. I know that when hens sit on eggs, there are usually a few that do not hatch. I really don't know that much about wild bird eggs.
    Your weaving is really coming along! What a beautiful skirt that's going to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can never count on anything with wild birds and the dangers they face. But we did enjoy our sightings while they lasted.

      Delete
  6. Sad about the dove. I had a bad feeling about that nesting place. At least there are a lot of doves in the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a colony of them close by! They are ground nesters, and this location was safe from fox and groundhogs, also raptors because of the plant cover. But maybe a field rat, chipmunk, squirrel, who knows. It happened overnight anyway so probably not another bird. Haven't been snakes around for years.

      Delete
  7. That is sad. Even if you found a way or someone who can incubate the egg, surviving the chick would be difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The egg had gone cold. Survival not possible. Sigh.

      Delete
  8. Oh that’s sad about the nest. Maybe they will build another one somewhere more secret. The skirt is going to look amazing. Hope the arm won’t hurt too much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They may build again. I'm hopeful about the skirt!

      Delete
  9. It is always sad when nests get deserted.
    That skirt is going to look amazing when finished.
    And I am once again, in awe of your culinary efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We hope the jab comes with no nasty side effects or 'hangover'. Xxx Mr T and F

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nature can be very ruthless and sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really makes you remember what a dangerous world little birds live in.

      Delete
  12. Sad about the dove, a hard reality of nature. We are having halibut today. Love those fish meals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Halibut is way out of my price range, and it's so good. Enjoy!

      Delete
  13. Aww ... I'm also a bit sad about the egg.

    ReplyDelete
  14. While I'm thinking about it- here's a piece that I think you might enjoy:
    https://www.npr.org/2023/05/15/1176174760/sheep-shawl-fiber-art?utm_campaign=npr&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews&fbclid=IwAR2IWRnY-_Ssl2C_aiQrmO7QSFmLYzV97XPdvkhC-dUchwa2mQBXQ3C3gOQ

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, the Sheep to Shawl event! One of our knitting group was at this years Maryland festival, I must ask her if she caught this event, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's so sad about the doves deserting the nest. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's so sad about the eggs - I wonder if a squirrel is to blame. I don't know if they eat eggs. Could have been a crow too.
    We had our covid booster last week - #6. Will they ever end I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think regular boosters are with us permanently now.

      Delete
  18. Your left behind egg reminds me of seeing a young fledgling hobbling in the yard today. He didn't seem to be able to get very far, and it occurred to me that when I go out there tomorrow, I may see remnants of the little guy after some mammal (or even a hawk) takes him or her out. More than once this spring I've found furry remnants of some small mammal that I'm pretty sure a hawk has eaten. I know it's nature's way, but like you said, it's sad to think about it from our human perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nature's hard to witness sometimes, so ruthless.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!