Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Changing of the doves, soup redux, lilac, cactus and dumpster finds

Yesterday after recycling various small items which never found a home on Freecycle and are not worth a long drive to the thriftie, I found a couple of  Good Things among a riot of stuff in the dumpster/recycling enclosure, someone's moving.


I love blue glass, 


and this bowl's in perfect condition, as is the big scarf, silky but probably not silk. It's got advertising,  I think, printed on it. Can anyone translate? It's possibly inside out, alphabet unfamiliar to me.

It's in new unused condition and I can definitely employ it one way or another.

Both items can probably be freecycled when they've run their course Chez Boud.

And here's the Christmas or by now practically Memorial Day cactus


Putting out a single blossom but what a winner.

Then there's chicken and cappellini soup. Yesterday's lunch, with pita bread toasted with sharp cheddar


And today's lunch with spiced (chili, cayenne, cumin) toasted chickpeas and tuna, dried sage toasted crisp and chucked on top of the soup.



Yesterday's reading outside involved smelling lovely lilac in bloom next door, and seeing the changing of the nest guardians. 

There was a sudden flutter behind me, and I looked up, to see Partner Dove on the fence waiting to take his place 

He saw me and I thought it best to sit unmoving, to let him calm down and fly down to the deck, which he eventually did. 

He strolled about looking elaborately casual, until the sitting dove left the nest and flew off,  the way the other dove had come. Then after a bit more strolling, I suppose not to betray the nest site, he finally took his place.

And here's the guardian in place this morning


I felt honored that they'd gone ahead despite the presence of a giant human. I think they've decided I'm basically harmless. Maybe I'll get that on my gravestone. Here lies Boud. She was basically harmless.  
 
There's worse things to be known for!

Happy day everyone, later there's Textiles and Tea which I'll catch you up on tomorrow, a Scotswoman, Cally Booker, weaver and teacher.






23 comments:

  1. I swear that dove is giving you a coy look.
    Nice dumpster finds! I love both the bowl and the scarf.
    I need to make some spiced chickpeas. I think about it and then I forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember by putting the can out on the counter otherwise I'd never do it.

      Delete
  2. Your dove photos and story melts the heart.
    Love the bowl! Great find. No translation for the scarf from me. Your menus are so much more spicey than mine, I've been trying to do better. So far, I haven't ruined any meal. Give me time though. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spices are so personal. Finding your own preference takes time and a few experiments. It's an interesting quest.

      Delete
  3. Oh nice find with the bowl. Your becoming familiar and that’s great. Maybe you’ll get the job of baby sitting once they hatch lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once they hatch it's going to be a mad rush of feeding. Good job this week's quiet. They'll need stamina soon.

      Delete
  4. Lol at the epitaph. I can testify that Boud was so much more, including funny!

    What good parents those doves are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doves are model family birds. They've nested here before, two babies, even the babies ask politely for food! Such a peaceful little foursome.
      I like epitaph jokes!

      Delete
  5. I, too, love blue glass. I have quite a collection.
    I think being remembered for being basically harmless would be a wonderful thing. The doves seem to agree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have played host to many Christmas cactus in my life time, and never knew which would be blooming next. They are scattered among my grands now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that's a nice blue bowl you scored. And how about, instead, "Here lies Boud, trusted ally of mourning doves."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a nice alternate epitaph. Maybe there'll be a poll!

      Delete
  8. You hav a dovely time in your yard. Keep on reporting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That blue bowl would have come home with me too. Must say that would be a fitting epitaph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there could have been competition for the bowl

      Delete
  10. I love blue glass too. That's a pretty little bowl. I have a blue glass mixing bowl, a blue glass baking dish, and a pretty little blue glass platter. I have passed on a little blue glass creamer I see now and then at estate sales because I would never use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would use a creamer, so I wouldn't have passed on that one. Probably a good thing I haven't found one!

      Delete
  11. You never know what someone tosses will prove useful to you and the blue bowl looks like it had a good re-use for you. Here in the mill apts, the green rooms are supposed to be for recyclables, yet residents leave all sorts of non-related items. To date, I haven't found anything that could be repurposed as most of these are broken. However, a resident has been placing things outside the apt perhaps eying an upcoming move. I "scored" a brand new Racko game which is going to the granddaughter this weekend and some Weight Watchers cookbooks that a friend was so happy to get. It was nice to repurpose items without keeping them in my own home. For the epitaph, I would add, "Boud was definitely a good person."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the postscript to the epitaph!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!