Saturday, May 27, 2023

May, lentils and soup

Beautiful sunny day, cool enough to walk, warm enough to sit outside and read. No biting insects. Yet.

Spied on my walk, very luxuriant this year

Considered unlucky where I grew up, never to be brought into the house, too close to the other world of fairies and danger.

And today was otherwise a frenzy of cooking. Made vegetable stock, then used it for celery, collard green, red lentil and cannellini bean soup. 

And at the same time, why not overdo it when you can, I organized the makings of red lentil croquettes, to go with soup, when I make them, maybe fried, maybe baked, when I decide.






I was a bit tired after this, looked at the clock and realized I'd been on my feet for about three hours, so after walking and loafing on the deck, I had the last of the local strawberries with a bowl of the latest yogurt.


Sprinkle of raw cane sugar. The texture of this batch is really good. I fermented it for 24 hours, so I think that's what I'll do from now on.

I ordered my Misfits box this afternoon, strawberries at half the local price (!). 

I expect everyone who tried it got the puzzle, judging from the great clues, an art form in themselves. Yes, it's

ARMCHAIR

suitable for Saturday, whether or not you have a long weekend

Happy day everyone, cook if you want, don't if you don't. The kitchen police are off duty today 



21 comments:

  1. Combination of blogger shenanigans and a wavery WiFi signal resulted in most of my post failing to save. I rewrote, and forgot a passage about weaving, which I'll attend to tomorrow. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HATE it when that happens! It's usually my fault when I lose something I've written, probably overly long and too much thought out. Then I hit a wrong button and lose it all. The second writing is NEVER as good as the first. Anyway. We can look forward to the weaving story tomorrow. As to the cooking; I'd love to be included in the eating part---looks so good!--- but I'd never get the first part--- the WORK!---done. Every time I set out to do a particular job, I encounter several others that take priority. So what was going to take a few minutes ends up tsking hours. Appreciate your delightful, upbeat blog. And you for the effort expended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoy it. By tomorrow I'll have recovered some energy to replace a lot of lost material in here. I know that "but first" phenomenon!

      Delete
  3. Have to laugh! Right after writing my comment, I went to Mary Moon's blog. And she talks about when we want to do something and there's a "but first...". Exactly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You deserve a rest this evening! Busy day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am, as we speak, making something I haven't made in about a hundred years. Chicken cordon bleu. Doesn't that sound fancy? Pounded the chicken breasts and everything. Last night we had delicious crabs and I have saved the shells and will make a stock for my next gumbo. I am pretty excited about this.
    Red lentil croquettes? Hmmm. I have a package of red lentils in my cabinet. I may try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a dish for special events! More about the red lentils tomorrow.

      Delete
  6. Ooh strawberry season is coming. Which means that Wimbledon is coming. I know there’s a month to go, but it is something we look forward to. I speak mostly of Wimbledon but strawberries too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long ago I had friends who were given tickets to Wimbledon as a huge special wedding present. I expect they had to buy their own strawberries, though.

      Delete
  7. What is that white flower? It is very pretty. It reminds me a bit of lantana.
    The red lentil mix looks very interesting. A recipe or did you make it up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's may, aka hawthorn as in the blog post title. I wonder if people read that as the month instead of the shrub? since I'd named it in the title I didn't repeat the name in the post. You're not the first person to ask!
      The lentil mix is a recipe from several YouTube channels.

      Delete
  8. That’s a lot of cooking. Your set for quite a few days now.
    It’s a long weekend here in London. We are hoping we can still find a few things to do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it doesn't mean everything's closed!

      Delete
  9. I have enough leftovers from Friday for another meal...venison pork sausage mixed in with red beans and rice and cornbread with the last bit of corn that didn't make it into a freezer bag.

    I was curious about the white flower too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ne'er cast a clout till may be out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read a surmise that it refers to the shrub rather than the month. I grew up understanding it meant the month. But then, wearing less in North Yorkshire before the end of May would be unwise.

      Delete
  11. Strawberries and yogurt - yum! Wish Resident Chef liked yogurt but it's not high on his list of preferred foods so we rarely have any in the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could always provide yourself with a supply.

      Delete
  12. Oh, honest to goodness "real" strawberries that don't taste like packing peanuts. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!