Saturday, May 20, 2023

Warping, WARP, and Slater

Today I measured and counted and threaded half the warp threads for the new skirt panel, before my hands insisted on stopping.


In any case it was time for the WARP (Weave a Real Peace) presentation online about WARP'S involvement with the DIMA School of textile and artisanal trades in Niger.

The initiative they discussed today was the general revival of weaving, tailoring and leatherwork by the school, marketing their output and bringing Western looms for them.

 Their master weavers wanted to transfer their skills to Western floor looms for greater productivity and less physical stress on the workers. But they preserve their traditional regional patterns and the wool/cotton fibers they work in 
















While at the school the Western visitors looked in at the tailoring department and salvaged cotton waste scraps, usually thrown away, which the weavers turned into rag rugs on the new looms. The tailoring students hemmed and finished them  





Anyone wanting to support WARP, who are always needing funds, and currently running a raffle for textile prizes, go to their website. Good people.

Meanwhile the kitchen isn't always about cooking food. It's also about reading about food, and here's what's up Chez Boud today


Full of journal notes and ideas and recipes 

Yesterday I made a variation on the spicy chickpea tuna dish, using cannellini beans because it's what I had



With chutney and Thai basil. Today's lunch was the rest of it, over rice. Beans are so neutral you can use a lot of spice and they're never too hot, just interesting.

The puzzle answer which everyone got who tried it, (and the broad clue I gave in the book review) is 

MOUSETRAP

Happy day everyone, lovely wet spring day here, nice for the gardens, humans just have to get wet.



27 comments:

  1. I love how they use scraps to make rugs. They look amazing
    Dinner looks yummy as always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The government ministers of Niger were also pleased to keep fabric scraps out of the landfill and onto the market. They're very much in favor of promoting cultural pride and authentic weaving, too, and marketing them better.

      Delete
    2. Using the scraps this way is a win for everyone and their work is beautiful.

      Delete
    3. They certainly know how much unwanted fabric is dumped on their continent, I'll bet. Their traditional weaving is lovely, and on such simple looms, great skill.

      Delete
  2. Your clue about "mousetrap" flew right over my head!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We could and should learn so much from these people who care about their land and their culture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starting by acknowledging the earlier people on whose land we now live. I try to do that for the Lenni Lenape Indians on whose very land I am sitting.

      Delete
  4. There's a whole weavily world out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When my sister and I were "in business", we used these mill end fabric scraps to weave rugs. WARP is a fine organization.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the principle is good. WARP is respectful of the people they're reaching out to, I like that. Not a colonizing effort.

      Delete
  6. The weaving is so beautiful and this was really interesting. Thanks for telling us about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fine and worthy project! The preservation of traditional fibers and patterns is respectful and the right thing to do.
    There is a restaurant in Tallahassee that makes a very, very delicious white bean and tuna salad. I think you would like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit of a commute to Tallahassee, but it does sound like my kind of thing.

      Delete
  8. such wonderful colorful fabrics. I've always admired how dark skin really sets off vibrant color. it dies on me with my pale white skin. blues and greens and purples I can do but the reds and yellows and oranges and lime greens...nope. and when I first looked at the pic of the beans in the skillet my brain saw teeny potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the fabrics, in the right sunlight, much stronger than temperate climates, and worn by the right people, are wonderful. I think they can rock just about any color.

      Delete
  9. Oh, Nigel Slater! We see him occasionally on telly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His ideas are surprisingly simple, some I'm going to try.

      Delete
  10. I like the vibrance of color. I don't even try the puzzles, I don't have the brain for them. I like beans a lot, something new to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tuna bean idea is fast, for when you're already hungry and haven't figured out what to eat yet. A position I'm often in.

      Delete
  11. Great pictures of beautiful fabrics and lovely people of Niger who wish to preserve their traditional kind of weaving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, let's support their effort. Niger is officially the least developed nation in the world, great poverty and a struggling economy. This is a great way to preserve as well as progress their people.

      Delete
  12. WARP looks fabulous and those photos which show basic looms made with branches amaze me that such skilled output can be achieved with basic construction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like the weaving of Guatemala, all the skill is in the weavers.

      Delete
  13. Sometimes the most basic of tools can end up being the basis for some pretty incredible art as the people of WARP are proving. Kudos to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it wonderful? Such skill and talent.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!