Monday, May 22, 2023

Tearin' it up and morninglories

Last evening a sudden email from HOA management saying that paving work was scheduled for 7 am today, in front of, and a list of house numbers including mine. Cars to be moved or towed.

So I went out, amazingly found a parking space at the other end of the street, outside the range of specified numbers.

Then this morning another email,  now including the entire street including the slot I parked in. 

Soooo I went out, retrieved my car and went in search of another spot. There are more vehicles than spots, so I was lucky to find an overflow spot, not one someone would need in front of their house this evening. 

Then boys with toys arrived


And tore chunks out of the paving here and there. I won't be able to return until they've filled them back in, I expect.

So, not wishing to lose my spot by doing errands and probably coming home to find it occupied, I got on with setting up and starting the new woven panel


And hoping to improve the fell line, though my selvedges are much more competent than before.

And I did a bit of puzzling here and there

You'll notice the aspect ratio --a rectangle -- of the picture on the box, is different from that of the puzzle, which is a square. Springbok puzzles pull visual stunts like this, a bit jarring. I do like the irregular piece shapes they make though.

And the morning glories are now planted and hanging outside, 

replacing the Thai basil which is now next to its friend, the curry leaf plant


It was a great afternoon for sitting out with tea and the Mitfords. And sleeping might have happened, too 



The last couple of years have been very poor all over the neighborhood for iris, and here's this year's total bloom Chez Boud


Tomorrow I have the annual squashogram, so I'll have to get my car out of its precious space and hope to find another when I get back home. 

The parking situation will be fraught for a while as each street is repaired, because those residents will be displaced in turn and my own spots might be at a premium. We'll see.

Nevah a dall mament as a Mitford might say!

Happy day everyone, enjoy the good bits, rise above the rest!




30 comments:

  1. Sympathies on the parking lot repaving/parking.

    Your porch time sounds lovely - so good to take advantage of the beautiful weather while you have it. I'm surprised that iris has been struggling. I thought nothing fazed it.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been putting up foliage no blooms, and I think it's the ground cover burying the roots. It's very difficult to dig them up to separate them, though I do take a stab (!) at it when I feel equal to it.

      Delete
  2. Best of luck with the squashogram and the return parking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure which I dislike more at this point!

      Delete
  3. HOA sure didn't give you much notice of the impending street work, did it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The site Manager only started in the job last week so I guess he's on a steep catching up and learning curve. I'm cutting him some slack.

      Delete
  4. Your small poem at the end, to have the intention of finding good and saving it for future use, is helpful at all times. You definitely will need to remember good times when searching for a parking spot. Is there not a secret place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not within walking distance! I'll manage.

      Delete
  5. Your back patio is a nice oasis from the chaos going on out front. Your iris reminds me I need to figure out what to do with mine now that the blooms are mostly all spent. Last spring we were totally taken by surprise by them and this was the year I was going to manage them a little more properly. Good thing they don't seem to need me, but I really should try a little harder to appreciate them for all the beauty they provide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to lift and divide iris. After I get some energy.

      Delete
  6. Parking spaces in front of our homes are precious in my neighborhood too, and having your streets torn up and improved adds to the excitement of hunting for a spot. I enjoy reading about the Mitfords and also the novels one of them wrote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somebody came and parked overnight in the spot I'd vacated. Risking towing. I wonder if they know it.

      Delete
  7. It looks lovely out in your garden. Hopefully more irises will flower for you
    Once the road work is done it will all be worth the upheaval. I hope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to happen all the time! Next they'll want to stripe..

      Delete
  8. If it's not one thing, it's another. That parking situation sounds grim and will require a lot of patience from everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parking is exciting. It tends toward drama,too, at times. I wonder if anyone's written a parking pkay?

      Delete
  9. Road repair season is well underway here these days, the second of our two seasons which includes winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. The sound of summer -- heavy equipment.

      Delete
  10. Parking can be such a hassle. We have trouble fitting in 2 cars when we have company, but then I also have trouble finding parking on the street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really can't have groups unless they carpool!

      Delete
  11. Prayers for smooth parking
    The HOA should have designated a parking area instead of residents scrambling to find spots on their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no way to do that. Not enough parking even without losing spaces to paving work. And the surrounding developments have the same situation. The main roads are no parking. So they can't do more, really. It's high value real estate, no extra spaces.

      Delete
  12. Your deck is inviting. I wouldn't mind some tea and a snooze there. Do I dare say I have a lot of iris? Want some rhizomes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome to stop in and visit!

      I have many many iris rhizomes, including lovely specimen species, totally overgrown and needing lifting. There's no room for them. I keep giving them away and replacing them in other spots where there's room around the neighborhood. What I need is road mending equipment to lift them out so I can separate them! Maybe I can divert the paving crew to my yard. .

      Delete
  13. It might be solitary but the bearded iris is beautiful. Slugs decimate ours and they have given up completely. F's favorite flower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine are suffering from gardener issues! They're overgrown, matted, choked with ground cover, so there's plenty of foliage, hardly any flowers. I must start lifting them a bit at a time takes a lot of strength.

      Delete
  14. Oh, construction is so frustrating -- especially when it is so VERY close to home! Hopefully they do a good job and it won't take long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just patching, so that's easier than a complete rebuild, but the dust and bits of black top are a nuisance.

      Delete
  15. We have been receiving dire notices about paving that's supposed to take place around our buildings too. Latest one arrived this morning to say that the entire process is being postponed yet again. Wonder if they will do their usual and simply spring it on us when we least expect it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nuisance having to work around paving in an area as congested as ours. Let's hope you have more choices.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!