Sunday, May 21, 2023

Indoors and out, and a fiber extravaganza

 Today I gardened. Here's the morning glory soaking until I plant tomorrow 


And outside I assembled pots, soil, tools and energy to plant seeds.  But first, there's always a but first, since I was putting plants all over right out here I had to  first seize the day and riddle out the condensation pipe for the AC.

For reasons best known to Saint Brickitup patron saint of builders, this vital pipe which carries out and disposes of the gallons of condensation generated in a hot humid summer, was installed below grade. 

Right where leaves and other debris are driven in by winter weather and rain, blocking it up unless I dig down each year, find it, riddle it out and redo my Rube Goldberg  fix, also dig under it to allow gravity to work on the condensation.

This is not an easy area, being jammed among important immovable stuff as you see, and is one of the most tiring tasks of the year.

The clay tile deflects rain from the pipe opening, hidden under a rock, which I've covered with mesh to repel debris.  And it has to be jammed together so that squirrels and weather don't shift it.

Then I was able to do the easy job of raking the area smoother,  hauling planters and bags of soil, like a son of toil under a ton of soil, distribute seeds, water them in and squirrel proof the containers.



Qtips soaked in peppermint essential oil, stuck into the pots. 

But before this I had to make lunch, which turned out to be onions and garlic, in baharat and salt, fried gently down to not caramelized but halfway there, with the last of those mushroom walnut  not-burger things cooked on top, and steamed broccoli.



 The reveal, croquettes aux champignons et noix, avec les oignons et l'ail! And this was pretty good in any language. Dessert was yogurt, maroo raisins and raw sugar.

But first, before that, I had to finish threading the heddle for the next skirt panel, And found that though the measuring was fine, the warp thread counting had left something to be desired. 


I had to figure out, and add, a dozen more warp threads, and now it's ready for tomorrow's attaching to the belt and the weaver.

But before that, I'd caught a marvelous ancient fiber find, on Twitter, then I followed it to YouTube. 

A complete ancient Norse tunic, woven with a diamond pattern, found where the Norwegian ice has melted. It looked like a bunch of scrap fabric, until the researchers unfolded and cleaned it and were stunned.

Valuable in its time, a masterpiece of spinning and weaving over many working hours, it's now hugely significant in terms of fiber and cultural history.


That's the breed of sheep whose fleece it was woven from 

Take a look, it's very precious knowledge.

But first, before that, I was reading blogs early, as you do, and found that our friend Angela, currently on the trip of a lifetime from Australia to London, had posted these and more finds from the British museum 


See the ancient Greek lady spindle spinning


And these wonderful ancient fragments. 

Make sure you catch all of what she says
https://theaussieemptynestervic.blogspot.com
You might have to scroll just a bit for this entry. Also I don't have the link functions that you laptop folk have,  on this phone, so you may have to cut and paste.

In fact sign up and follow her for her interesting life and times.

Happy day everyone! I think I'm up to now, and a cup of tea.

But first,  before I forget, I did ask Sandy about the sweater pattern Tigger's F needed to know. It's on Ravelry, pattern name Wool and Honey. 

Okay now I'm up to now. I did other stuff, now too tired to write about it, also enough's probably enough!




35 comments:

  1. That Lundbreen tunic is a treasure, and the weaving techniques sound like something that could be made today and be as warm and serviceable. I found an interesting article at https://www.cambridge.org/core/services/aop-cambridge-core/content/view/5399E0FEC7D89991C22D24A79D0A0E97/S0003598X00049462a.pdf/out_of_the_norwegian_glaciers_lendbreena_tunic_from_the_early_first_millennium_ad.pdf.

    You certainly put in a full day! That kludgy AC drain - my annual sympathies. Ugh. Soaking morning glory seeds works well for me, too. You deserve that cuppa after hauling around those pots and bags of soil. Now to wait and see what those little packets of miracles produce.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the reference. It's exciting when readers join in and add to the post like this. I'll follow up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I saw Angela's post dedicated to you! Very annoying about that pipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every year I get annoyed all over again! Wasn't it nice of Angela to think of us in the middle of a hectic trip? I took it as a gesture to all of us who take part in this blog.

      Delete
  4. I grinned at you assembling energy and then as I read further I fully understood why! Yikes! Builders confuse me. We had a very important electrical thingy buried under the driveway. Fortunately our wonderful sparky (electrician) fixed it for us.
    Angela is very special and I am not surprised she thought of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a lovely person. So glad she's enjoying her trip. And builders operate in their own universe. Squads who build townhouse developments are long gone before their sins come to light. Like instead of running the cable company cable up inside the walls to all three floors, attaching it to one ground level outlet then throwing the entire coil down into the foundation cavity.

      Delete
  5. Great tip about the anti-squirrel trick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You certainly put in a good day and deserve that wonderful lunch. Good luck with the seeds and I ;ove the blue/green thread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fuller day than planned but worked out okay.

      Delete
  7. What you go through each year to clear that drain! Dratted construction workers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were pretty random in their execution! You should see what they did with cable wiring!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the thought, but I really don't need a condensation pipe or any kind of pipe.

    Sincerely

    AC

    😎🤪😜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you've probably had enough riddling already this year!

      Delete
  9. I’m so happy you like the pics. Thank you or your lovely words of encouragement and the link to the blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Uh oh...I didn't soak my morning glory seeds! But I sure hope they do grow.
    As for squirrels, we rarely have an issue here as there is plenty of food for them out in the forest that surrounds us.
    Our condensing 'tube' for the new mini split is simply a hose I can move around.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are surrounded by trees with nuts and berries galore and squirrels are still a prime nuisance, damaging houses and cars, so keeping them away is about more than bird feeders!

      Delete
  11. I should think you are tired, good grief! Food looks good. What a bind to have to clear that pipe every year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The riddling of the pipe is a sign of spring!

      Delete
  12. I did planting, too. But will pass on the condensation! Thanks for the squirrel thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it works for you. Up to now it's deterred squirrels nicely.

      Delete
  13. My goodness! You are going to need a day of rest after all of that.
    Could you ask Gary if he would trade you doing the work on that pipe for some more brownies? It seems like it could be somehow made easier to maintain.
    What an amazing story about the Lendbreen tunic. I love that it had been patched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year Gary did it for me, but this year he's away. The building was so bad there's literally no way to improve it. Even wetdry vacuuming would entail first digging. Because the condensation is working against gravity, there's nothing short of a rebuild of the entire area, electric, gas and water meters included, and excavating right back into the house to rebuild. Most of which is either illegal or against HOA code! So I clear it annually. That works. People with similar issues who have failed to do it have had massive indoor flooding from the backup.

      Delete
    2. Ugh. Well, it surely sounds like you have done your research and know what must be done.

      Delete
  14. but no picture of the oldest garment? is it not possible to have a more permanent solution to the condensation drain pipe? can't just shorten the pipe?

    I soaked my morning glory seeds, planted them in pots when the sprouted to be planted in the ground when they got a good start but I haven't got them in the ground yet because of all the rain we had and now the mosquitoes are so bad that being outside is taking your life in your hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Follow the YouTube prompts for plenty of info about the tunic. And if you read my response to Mary you'll get the picture about the condensation pipe.

      Delete
  15. You'd think the builders would have known better. I did some container planting yesterday, too. I also don't have squirrel problems, maybe because they are red squirrels? Small, cute and rather vicious creatures who don't seem to spend much time on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No red squirrels in this region that I know of. These are large aggressive very smart grey squirrels. Sigh. I think the builders knew better. But it was easier for them this way !

      Delete
  16. Thank you for the squirrel proofing tip, Liz! Can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for the pattern info. We are on to it and yarn will have to be ordered....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One idea Sandy had: using regular yarn, not super wash so that in washing the long loose strands will bond to the fabric, harder to snag. Just a thought. She's a good planner.

      Delete
  18. I know we visited the British Museum when I was there but don't really remember much about it. I do remember being somewhat overwhelmed by it all and wishing we had more than one day to spend there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem I find with big museums is that I'm quickly overwhelmed. I need many mini trips, not a solid block of time!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!