Thursday, June 30, 2022

Tradescantia, pedal pushers, and Rx victory

Yesterday finally, after eight days of back and forth and checking and pushing, and my referring eye doctor, not the one who was supposed to call in the Rx,  sternly telling me to keep calm (!) the Rx finally arrived. 

At least two of the three did, one back-ordered. So I can start breathing again. After this the actual procedure will probably be a lot less stressful. Anyway, so far so good. Handsome Son will pick up the stuff. 

This is also showing up in the groundcover, lovely spiderwort, aka tradescantia virginiana


Sparks of brilliant blue flowers. It's one of those flowers, like daylilies, you can either spot everywhere growing wild, or buy and plant. It's also one of many discoveries aka thefts, from the New World, made by John Tradescant, here

I love how solemnly they say he's the father of JT jr !  Anyway I'm glad the namers acknowledged Virginia in the name since that's where he plundered it from, back when Europeans thought the Americas were there for their browsing benefit, rather than the native land of ancient peoples.

And yesterday, largely as displacement activity before the arrival of the text about the Rx, I finally did one of those jobs you think about for months, nay, years,  then polish off in twenty minutes.

These are supposedly capris, but on arrival turned out to be more like high waters, brushing the top of my socks. I've been wearing them while planning to fix them.



Simple enough. Cut off several inches, hemmed up, done.  Much more useful now.

Then I finished the second sock of, I think, Pair Seventeen, did the finishing, and started sorting colors for the next. 


These have  shaker stitch tops, and an elastic insert to keep the shape,  so it doesn't stretch out in use.

I always mean to take an interval between pairs but once the needles are vacant suddenly need to fill them again.

A passage from The Autobiography of Alice B Toklas in progress, struck me as so applicable to studying the technique of art


It's about  familiarizing yourself with any artwork in order to really experience it.
I know writers who make a practice of writing out passages of favorite authors just for the insight into how they did it. It's done to learn, not imitate, like playing scales to develop finger expertise.

I've done it by copying Picasso drawings just to get into the vision and it's very demanding. You come away with such respect for the artist. Even copying is demanding, imagine conceptualizing in the first place. 

During the Fischer Spassky chess tournament, the games were published as played and Handsome Partner and I, chess players back then, replayed them as they came out, marveling at the insight and anticipation of each player. We were plumb wore out just replaying, never mind doing the actual original thinking.

Copying art for learning now and then is fine, but not for thinking you're making art. The art, all its life and energy, lies in the maker's original concept.  

Dusting off the teaching soapbox now and retiring it to the corner of the stable where my hobby horses live.

Maybe I'll stitch a bit of my vest while listening to a Mrs Pargeter audiobook today


I love Mrs Pargeter, so funny, and the cast of characters never fails. 

Art also, never fails to keep a person on the rails. Drawing, the guardrail of daily life.




Happy day everyone! Grateful for guardrails and the ability to know they're there.






11 comments:

  1. I can see how writing a passage of some well written text would help one’s own writing. The sense of the words, their selection and position would become apparent as would the use of punctuation. Great insight. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book I'm reading right now (The Sweetness of Water) has a plot point with knitted socks and last night I dreamed that I, too, had knitted several pairs of socks. This will never happen in real life but you have definitely influenced my dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the Rx victory! I'm a firm believer in "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" so don't worry about hounding them! I love that beautiful shade of blue in your capris!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure I ever knew where the name Tradescantia came from. As you probably know, Wandering Jew and Purple Heart are both also varieties of Tradescantia. The Virginiana grows all over the place in my home state of Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use to type my notes just to help remember them. College notes. Manual typewriter. I often put the paper in over and over; typing was the key, not rereading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe the copying is a form of meditation on the thing being copied. Picking up on Joanne's comment about college notes, i used to reduce mine as i repeated the exercise until i had a kind of mantra that was the essence of all the nuances in what i had been studying. Can drawing be like that where a line or shape can be the distilled essence of repeated contemplation of something?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it interesting how a little project can be put off, and off, and off - and then one day one picks it up and polishes it off with a nice sense of accomplishment. I too like the color of the now truly Capris.

    How have I never heard of Mrs. Pargenter? This will have to be rectified.

    I did not know about the replaying of chess games and other copying of art and literature as a learning tool. Every day I learn something from you, Boud!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trigger that's an idea I need to consider. Right now I don't know if it's a meditation or not.

    Chris, check out Mrs Pargeter. The author reads them and his other mystery series, he's prolific, on YouTube, very well produced. This current one is particularly fun as an antidote to grim times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Trigger?? No, not confusing you with Roy Rogers' horse, Tigger, slip o' the digit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny how some projects we end up putting off because we just KNOW they're going to take us forever and then, when we finally work up the gumption, it only ends up taking a matter of minutes. I read a blog recently that was touting actually timing a number of household chores to see exactly how long they do take - rather an eye opener.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!