Friday, June 3, 2022

Minimal engagement, that's the current strategy

Meaning I'm not going to be rushing to work outside. I'm old, I'm tired. I'm not going to be fussing about pricking out seedlings. I'm going to do the least and see how it goes. The groundcover stops weeds, so weeding's never been an issue. 

I did move the pot of morning glory closer to the shepherd's crook, so it can climb if it wants to.


When the roses, planted by birds, fade, that is.

Here's potatoes, foreground, growing from planted peelings, marigolds background, Italian basil to the right, already smelling like basil

Oki




Left marigolds, right basil, very high germination rate.


Trees in blossom just down the street

And a sunset that filled the house with pink light



The camera doesn't pick up all the streaks of light.

Home to knit


And here's the sum total of my morning's jubilee celebration gesture, not being a Brit nor a royalist, but one old lady to another, admiring her Sandringham garden with a Houdini puzzle. 


I think Houds the black cat wouldn't mind my sharing.

And, as to getting "back" to normal

So true. So freeing, too.

Knitting group this afternoon, Misfits box too. Blogistas from Ontario, how are you feeling about the election? I see conservatives seem to have either got or stayed in.  Please weigh in, US readers need to hear.

Breathe, everyone. Work for good things, enjoy what we can.





12 comments:

  1. Whatever hasn't been done outside here won't get done until it cools off several months from now. Nice that your library has movie day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that wonderful quote!
    As for the election - it pretty much went the way we thought it would. Resident Chef and I were hoping the province would stay Conservative but were even more hopeful that it would end up being a lot closer to being a minority than the landslide it has turned out to be. The reporting now is that it would have been such a different result had the voter turnout been stronger but as usual Ontarians simply can't be bothered. IMHO they hadn't better raise their voices in complaint if they haven't voted. Our local riding is where we really hoped for some change - it's been a Conservative riding with very few exceptions over the years, no matter what candidate the party throws at us. The current reigning queen couldn't be bothered taking part in any of the debates, mostly because she knew she had it in the bag. Arrogance reigns supreme with her. She didn't get our vote and we were hopeful that more people would feel the same but as we expected, she won by a large margin. Interestingly, on the provincial level, both leaders of the NDP and the Liberals (who have lost official party status now in the province) announced they would be stepping down. The Liberal leader didn't even win his own riding which says something about what people think of him. Now we wait to see what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to plan stratgically with regard to the heat, too. If anything I need to do outside isn't done by 9:30 or so, it won't get done until another day! And generally that works out just fine. Your garden is full of promise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don’t know how the queen keeps going. I was just in the garden for two hours and I need a rest. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you, woman! Enjoy your day. Your garden looks lovely to me, just as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I planted tomatoes today and transplanted a daylily and a couple of iris I'd missed 3 years ago. Your garden is growing well, everything looks happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ontario blogger here. A bit sad, as it was almost a waste of time as little changed. A change of government was not expected, so no surprises. Our Conservative government is not the best I have ever seen, but except for being hung up on votes from Toronto and area, it is not too bad. There is going to be another expensive highway put in in Toronto area, where what is needed, in my opinion, is better transit and more affordable housing.
    The bright spot for me is that our quite awful MPP (Member of the Provincial Parliament) has been replaced by a man who knows the issues, has had a successful career as a healthcare manager and will, I hope, go far.
    Very low turnout is depressing, but expected.
    Hey, I will not feel obliged to listen to boring and annoying debates for a while. Always one high point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the update. It's so hard to detect issues from another country, but I like to understand more about your day to day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That tree is so elegant! Reminds me of Japanese maple shape, only in white.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We know ehat you mean about the pink light. We get it here and hsd a superb pink evening in Nafplio last year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ellen, all the libraries around here have movie days. Within easy driving, I could go Sunday, Wednesday and Friday. I study the offerings to choose.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!