Friday, June 17, 2022

Thinking, ink, thinking ink

 Yesterday I read 


Which I'd read years ago, forgotten the title, but it's just as gripping the second time. Thanks for reminding me of this one, Pam.

I'm always looking for new Kate Atkinson novels, but in their absence, her writing is great enough to reread anyway.

I'm very tired, probably the emotional fallout from dealing with the eye situation ss well as sudden hot weather. So I've decided not to bravely push on, but to yield and rest. I did make it to the PO yesterday to send off the socks for this month.

And yesterday I rubbed ink. Chinese ink stick, you rub it slowly, meditatively, on the block with water, in preparation for drawing or calligraphy.



Here I'm testing to see how black it is. Making ink is really part of the art, like warping the loom is part of the weaving. It takes time and quiet, and your mind is getting ready for the next stage.

In this case I made ink yesterday to use today. It was so good to be reunited with the block, which I haven't used for a long time.

I had even forgotten I had it, because I'd used the back of it as a block for printing on fabric, then another artist pointed out it was an artwork in itself.  

It ended up being exhibited, though not for sale, and came home to hang on the wall.

I only remembered it was my ink block when I emptied the studio, found the ink stick and started looking for the block, which was hanging on the wall right in front of me.

So it's back to its other function.




It's lovely to handle pens again, crowquill from long ago classes, and one of the calligraphy set Judy T.  gave me, also long ago.

While I was retrieving the ink block, I also came across this painting on a tote, same period as the fabric printing with the ink block, but this is freehand. I can press this one into service as a Sock Ministry project bag. 

I went through a bag painting period a while back, also taught it, nobody knows the stuff I've got into here and there.

Hot today, moving slowly, staying in and cool.

Maybe keeping cool is a good idea in every sense. Some good people are at work, the EU opening candidacy to Ukraine, the Jan 6 committee exposing crimes ready for indictments, maybe we can trust them all to do their jobs.

Happy day everyone!



12 comments:

  1. I envy your artist abilities. I may not be able to make art but I am able to appreciate it. I hope with all my hope that they do what must be done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get some rest and feel more energized!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing design on the bag. I'd wear a tunic in that print. Love the ideas you have.
    Good you are resting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. Good you are resting. I will be so glad for you when the eye procedure is done and all is over with.
    You have endless talents and interests. You never cease to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool thoughts about the ink stick and the ink block!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always good to come up with a spare tote!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The restfulness and taking stock has come through in the post. I feel relaxed myself just reading the way you have conveyed a quieter almost meditative day and some drawing together of strands.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's wonderful to come across such goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've read a couple of Kate Atkinson books but not that one. I should try it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you're into very interesting stuff. Hmmm - drawing in ink ... takes talent!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had to go back and reread because I thought you wrote, “Yesterday I nibbled ink.” I do that type of predictive insertion a lot. Probably more than I even realize because many of them make sense, and so I probably just carry on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The next couple of days are supposed to be hot here too. I was beginning to wonder if summer was going to completely pass us by. Not being an artist I've never heard of that type of ink. More interesting (at least to me!) was the fact that you had it hanging on the wall as art.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!