Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Eye news, stitching, cleaners and art

Yesterday's eye appointment was the one where he finally says l need to get cataract surgery in both eyes. He went on to say I'm now barely legal to drive, which came as a bit of a shock.  Just as well I've been driving only very locally anyway.

So, I don't care how experienced the surgeon he's referring me to,  how many friends have done this and been glad they did, or even the fact that he sends his own parents there, I'm still very anxious. 

This seems to be the year my body gets all caught up on its falling apart. He tells me that most people have had to do this surgery much younger than I, so I guess I've had a very good ride. But I want a longer ride!

Meanwhile, I did some pinning before stitching on the vest.  I can do close work which is puzzling, though reading except on the Kindle set to a large font, is difficult, a lot of letter distortions and jumping. He tells me that will be much improved, so that's good.

The current state of the vest


And since today is the cleaners, I'm out picking up envelopes at the PO, ready for shipping the next Sock Ministry Plus package, since I've cast on the last sock of the batch.

Then a nice art display at the library was just the ticket







I just picked a couple of favorites from a very strong show. Sorry about the reflections, and the occasional distortion. I'm not tall enough to get squarely in front of the paintings and there are windows everywhere. But I think you get the gist. It's good work.

I might bake a batch of raisin hot biscuits when I get home, and see if handsome Son, off today, not warm enough for the shore,  wants to visit,  to get updates on the help I'll need with appointments. 

I haven't a thing in the house to offer with a cup of tea, so I would like to do that. Considering the multiple rides I'll need.. He's willing and helpful, just don't want him to feel taken for granted.

So there we are, alternating between counting my blessings and panicking. 





Graphite stick, favorite tool, lines softened with a tortillon, fancy name for a twisted stick of soft paper.

Meanwhile, happy day everyone! Hang in, push for Trump's indictment, pray that SCOTUS has a rush of brains to the head, down with the oil profiteers!





16 comments:

  1. Good morning Liz! First off - I know everyone's experience is different, but I was so excited to have cataract surgery with the prospect of seeing well again. I did both eyes with only a week (or was it 10 days?) between and it went without a hitch. I choose to be awake - but under the influence of happy drugs - during the procedure, but prepared to have full anesthesia if it became necessary. Recovery was pretty rapid, but I definitely needed to have a companion for a couple of days after each eye. There was no pain at all. I hope your experience is as smooth as mine. You will be amazed at the improvement!
    I enjoyed your photos of the exhibit. Isn't it funny (and cool!) how your brain can filter out the reflections when you are standing in front of the art?
    Loving how your vest is coming together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your anxiety. I have blurred vision and have been putting off doing something about it. Your son will appreciate the raisin biscuits and will gladly drive you to appointments. You have a good library, something I miss. Your vision hasn't stopped your textile work nor your painting and drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that stories of other's experiences with cataract surgery isn't entirely helpful but my very good friend Lon had his eyes done and he is so thrilled. So there is that. But of course it's scary when we have anything done to our eyes. They are how we let the light in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The eye surgery is not a difficult one to undergo as you’ll see and the results are fantastic. It is well worth the short time it takes to have such improved vision. Outpatient procedure. Quick. I wish you peace of mind about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All water colors it looks like. A nice show. I went to the eye doc last December expecting to get a surgery date for cataracts. Not bad enough yet she said, come back next year. Both my siblings, one older, one younger, have had cataract surgery but I'm with you. Don't care for the idea of someone cutting on my eyes at all, much less while I'm awake. This is not something I want to be seeing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you get the support and reassurance you need to have the cataract surgery with as little upset as possible. I'm currently waiting for my cataracts to get to the point where my ophthalmologist says they're ready to come out. He already knows he'll have to put me out for the procedure. I have the world's biggest automatic flinch response and cannot tolerate knowing anything near my eyes. It's why I've never been able to wear contact lenses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never regretted cataract surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your answer on the previous post. I remembered that I had asked you something but forgot what it was until I checked. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know I could tell you that cataract surgery itself isn't a big deal but that's not going to relieve your anxiety one bit. The hardest part for me was keeping track of the regimen of drops afterwards. I had both eyes done two weeks apart and thus the drops were to be administered at different times. Had to resort to making a chart and ticking it off. As for the surgery itself - I didn't feel a thing - awake throughout. The actual procedure took under ten minutes with the longest wait being for the freezing drops to take effect beforehand. I, being one of the minority, have a rare form of astigmatism which meant I couldn't have my vision corrected to the degree that most other people can so I still have to wear glasses but everything is much clearer now. Most people have an option to have either their long distance vision or their short vision corrected but that wasn't on the table for me. I ended up with worse vision close up but my long distance is greatly improved....again, my astigmatism issue was the problem. There was no pain with the only thing perhaps a small amount feeling that my eyes were dry but that only lasted for a day. I know none of this will in any way alleviate your anxiety, but you do know I'm thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anxiety understandable but it looks like plenty of your readers can provide reassurance. I'd be equally anxious, but beat it down to be able to continue to knit and sew and read - although your work does not appear to be suffering in any way yet - love the drawing. Are you handsewing that vest?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another voice here speaking to your rational brain: Mike was so happy to have cataract surgery, both eyes, and has been thrilled with the results. That being said, I completely understand the panicky part of your brain. When it was first done, as you may recall, eye surgeons had volunteer "grannies" come hold the hands of the early patients to help keep them calm.

    Just be prepared for eye drops on strict schedules.

    Let us know how we can help ease your concerns from afar. If I lived next door I'd be happy to hold your hand.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do understand your feelings about having cataracts removed. I will be needing the surgery in a year or so depending on when mine are "ready". Everyone says it is not that bad having it done but I readily admit I am a big baby when it comes to something like that! I am a natural-born worrier by nature and that never helps. I send you wishes for peace and an easy time before during and after the surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry you are anxious about this. I hope you will have wonderful support and all will go well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much everyone for your long distance support. It does help. I'm glad to hear my work looks okay to you. I'd begun to wonder, given that my vision is much worse than I'd realized!

    Tigger, yes, I'm a hand sewer always. I love it, and gave away my machine years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I understand feeling anxious about cataract surgery, Liz. I've been told I have some growing and I'm already dreading having them removed. I love what Ms. Moon wrote above. I'd think anxiety about it completely natural. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Of course you'd be concerned about surgery. It's normal. I understand that the difference it makes is enormous though.
    I was a bit shocked when the optician told me my eyes without glasses weren't up to driving law requirements. I don't believe him! But I wear my glasses to drive.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!