Monday, June 6, 2022

A bit of watercolor play, it must be summer

Ages since I got out the watercolors, but that blank book find just came in time to remind me I sometimes like to play a bit with them in summer light.

So I assembled the doings, noted a handy model



Just stuff lying about on the table.

And it started without me 


When the yellow jumped out of the tube and onto the book. I'd squeezed it a bit hard, since the others were dry, and I expected this one to be, too.

I never waste expensive dried up tube colors, just cut open the tube and continue using them like solid pans. If they're good quality, this works. A tip from one of my frugal instructors.

Anyway a few minutes' delicious fun.


Watercolor is pointless if you labor and struggle over it. It's spontaneous or it's nothing. My not very humble opinion. Paint like a kid.

I left out the materials handy so I can do more when the spirit moves. There's nothing like making something to raise your spirits. The product doesn't matter for this purpose, it's the doing that matters.

And I have this whole handy book to use, fun ahead. There might be drawings, rubbings, transfers, who knows. 

Meanwhile, despite numerous plant related visitations  from next door, and a hand dipped chocolate cookie gift, now shared around with neighbors

the blueberry baked goods happened and some went next door


This morning I had one for breakfast, warmed it in the microwave, and when I bit in, juice exploded all over my white tee.  

After I wondered about stain removal I decided no, go with it, and when I get up, I'm writing this in bed, I'll simmer the tee with the rest of the berries, and take advantage of the staining function instead of fighting it.

Tatters is doing some nice things here -- Kantha, an Indian stitching style. I'm familiar with it, living in an Indian population. I love the simplicity of the stitching, adding up to complex art.




And since be summer seems to be here, time to practice

Happy day everyone. We can be happy while helping people who are suffering. We can do two things at once.




16 comments:

  1. I admire people who can just spontaneously paint or draw or whatever. Doesn't seem to be my forte.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely watercolour painting! Your tip about opening up old tubes to use as pans is a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debra, I had great teachers who never spent more than necessary. Those brushes are my complete set. Used them for years. No need for more. Likewise the paints.

    Ellen, I think it's about here goes nothing, as much as anything, do, don't think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quick watercolor impresses me so! Your delight in doing it shows on the paper.
    I think I may have been a kantha quilter in another lifetime. Or maybe not.
    So- will the blueberry "dye" require special washing of your shirt? I am am intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the stitching.
    It might look easy, but deciding what stitches to use is more difficult than I expected.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh - I like that stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Watercolor is not easy. You did a lovely job , very pretty. Even when sitting your hands are not idle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You watercolour is so pretty. You make it sound effortless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That watercolour is fabulous - as always. I also love the kantha quilting. So effective.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Paint like a kid...... that is the key word. I am going to start doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your watercolor looks great! It also looks like fun. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your juice on T put us in mind of F's diary. She writes every day and it fairly regularly gets coffee stains or food crumbs stuck to pages, so she made a conscious decision the stain every page of one book a couple of years back and was interested in how quickly you rum out of foods that make a decent impression on paper (irrespective of what they would do to your t-shirt). Green is difficult (and fugitive). Pomegranate juice is impressive, but fades to brown in time without a mordant to fix it. We didn't try blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice watercolor. I wish I could do that but I fear mine would look like something a very small child did with stick figures and odd shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pam, there may be people looking at mine and thinking much the same!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really (truly!) didn't mean to laugh about the paint splat but it's something that would happen to me, only my splats would end up somewhere totally impossible to clean. Painting like a child sounds like fun but I know that most kids can paint far better than I ever could. Those biscuits look good and I'm sure next door neighbour was happy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!