Monday, June 20, 2022

Potatoes, Middiemarch, conte crayon, Ukraine

Yesterday included helping the visiting grandchild, aged seven, plant a container of potatoes. No pix, for her security. Gary had been keen to do it after seeing mine, and yesterday was the day. I had a couple of small yellow potatoes already sprouting, so I cut and she planted. Then we squirrel proofed it with qtips and peppermint essential oil, and declared it done.

Lovely sunshine and an amazingly chilly wind, too cool to sit in the shade, but fine for walking and planting spuds.

Kate Atkinson came through again with another Jackson Brodie reread. 



Now I think I need a change of reading pace. My long awaited library loan arrived, of wonderful Middlemarch, which I want to reread, so long since I read it and was blown away by its power.


I had not noticed it's an audiobook. 32 hours in 7 days. Oh. But undaunted, I found another affordable option


And this can come with me to pick up whenever I'm up for it. The classics are amazingly cheap to buy this way, and readable on the Kindle, more than in book form for me. 

Yesterday I got a very appreciative note about the latest Sock Ministry mailing, consider yourself included, Joanne! And I'll probably cast on a little something today.  Or maybe stitch a bit. Or both. But first I have to get up.

Drawing in bed this morning, after a foray downstairs for coffee and a bit of pawing through my collection of conte crayons, stick charcoal and school chalk


Here testing for color and picking out a tortillon and a stick of sepia conte.

There's a thrill in using conte, not really crayon, more compressed dry pigment, because it's the drawing tool of the great masters. Leonardo used it. 

It comes in various earth tones, and is very happy on paper with a bit of tooth to it. You can blur your lines with a finger or a tortillon. I ended up just using a finger, liking the closeness to the surface.




As you'll have noticed, I edit a lot from my subject. I don't have any interest in exact copying, though I've done it for class. 

Anyone with patience and a steady hand can do realistic drawing. To me, though, realistic reproduction is pretty much dead on arrival, like drawing and painting from photographs. 

I think you need to see what the artist has to say about what's significant, and the artist needs to be in the presence of the subject to catch its life. Other folks, other strokes.

About tools, this xacto is a stubborn thing. 

The blade was dull and I wanted to replace it. But no power in earth can get the blade out. This isn't the simple xacto where you unscrew the top, the blade drops out, you replace it. 

It's the other kind where you have to push the knurled bit up to release the grip. Only it won't. Pliers, brute force, couldn't shift the collar up or down. So I gave up, and sharpened the blade with an emery board and it's good to go. One way or another!

Happy Monday everyone! Some victories in Ukraine, hoping they'll get ahead of the losses.



12 comments:

  1. It sounds like a great day, time with a grandchild and drawing, in bed no less! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only ever drawn in conte once but I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don’t know Kate Atkinson, but I think I might like her. I see that I can purchase a bundle of 4 Jackson Brodie’s on Kindle. I’ve put it on my wish list as a reminder. Maybe I should check out the library too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And now that little girl will be able to experience the miracle of growing food. That is a lesson of love for sure.
    I think of you and how you spend some time in bed in the mornings, working on this or that. I don't think I could do it. When it's time to get up, I have to just get up. I seem to be forced to delineate between rest and activity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, when I do art and blogging in bed it's when I'm awake far too early to get up. Today it was before six!

    Growing potatoes in a container is mysterious to a lot of people. Gary hasn't done it though he grows other vegetables. He was amazed when I told him the potatoes grow on the roots of the parent plant. Wait till we harvest them, he'll be amazed again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I can guarantee you I could not draw a realistic picture! I used to grow rows of potatoes, but never in a pot. Something to consider. Enjoy the pleasant day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I could do art in bed, although I did sew up a failing hem on the sheets whilst I was in bed. Didn't feel like unmaking the bed to take the sheet to the sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have listened to Middlemarch over and over. Of course, that was when I owned it, and was a production weaver.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is beyond my comprehension how Ukraine will rebuild the damage within the lifetimes of any of those affected.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read "Middlemarch" many years ago and enjoyed it. I am not a Kindle fan, though. I really need a plain ol' paper book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds like a perfect day - cool breeze, planting, reading/listening, drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am thinking of you so much today, dear lady. I hope that all is going well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!