Saturday, June 18, 2022

Tiny Misfits, drawing with a rural pen

Yesterday's Misfits box was a very small order. The increased prices mean I reach my budget faster, with fewer items. As you see.



Still room for a bit of chocolate though.

And still working in ink on my little drawings. 

These are grapevine pens. I cut them years ago from wild grapevines growing near home, and used to give them to students in workshops. 

You angle the cut to make a rough nib, at both ends, giving two pens in one. Let them dry a while, and they're good for years. 

Van Gogh used these when he was broke, also ink he made probably from black walnuts. You can see early drawings he made of landscapes using them. 

I used to give walnut ink I'd made, to students, along with the pens. They were very excited to be following in the footsteps of Van Gogh.

Blake referred to a rural pen in his Songs of Innocence. Same thing.

Anyway they work nicely for ink drawing, giving interesting changeable lines. And you're part of art history when you make and use them, however humbly.



Today I'm being pecked at by texts from the eye doctor about Covid, the appointment, etc and by the condo HOA wanting more dox, which I have to search for. 

One of them is on the website which my password won't let me in to, and there's no way to change the password. I think they issue it, so I've asked for help on that. I didn't need this just now!

But, bright side, it's cooler today and I can get out for an errand or two and a walk. So there's that.

And Kate Atkinson is seeing me through. Now it's

Happy day everyone! Enjoy what you can.




19 comments:

  1. I bet your students loved you.
    I hope getting out of the house is enjoyable for you today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always learn something when I come here, who knew about grapevine pens, ink from black walnuts and Van Gogh! The cost of everything is hard to manage. It's changing our habits. Enjoy the better weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the rural pens! Very thought gift for students
    In early blogging years, the Rural Pen was taken.
    I'll be reading Atkinson's book soon. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating about the grape vines and Van Gogh. Thank you for sharing, Boud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use a password manager (1password) - it is wonderful. Also wonderful, and much more satisfying, is your sketch using the rural pen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wilma, I have passwords saved, but when condo mgt changes the access password, the old one doesn't work. Which is what happened.

    When you're dealing with a HOA, the mgt can change website, access etc at will. They got back to me with the new access pw. But within the site, I had to reup my user id and pw because the site change had invalidated my old ones.

    You'd think we were dealing with Fort Knox instead of a dinky little HOA site.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like using the handmade pen. Might do more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pens/ink explanation, and sympathize on the password security thing - a modern pestilence. We actually have layers of security to get into the work environment even at work - two passwords and a random number generator installed on my mobile phone and linked to my login id. Of course the phone has to be password protected too (or fingerprint). It's only insurance! I'm planning a day, and a lifestyle in which 90% of my current passwords become redundant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having been out of town on a botanical foray, I return to find a new word (tortillon), a new thing-I-had-never-heard-of (ink stick and ink block), and the ingenuity of a grapevine pen (which I had also never heard of). And your wonderful creations with same. You are a wonder!

    And sympathies on the small (but irritating!) irritations of life. HOA passwords. Sheesh.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting grapevine pens! I've never heard of such a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They're also known as reed pens, because reeds are hollow and can be cut into pens.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You never fail to surprise or delight me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ellen, thank you. What a wonderful thing to read on a not so good day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Liz, I'm from the Bite CC lub which Dee retired in 06/21. I've got grape vines that been removing due to spotted LF, but saving the dried vines; I'd like to make the vibe ink pen which you wrote lasts for years, just whittle the both ends like a piece of wood twig?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved the bite club! Learned so much from the other members. About the grapevine: just clean cut the end across at a 45degree angle. That's it! Make a few though, because they can wear down with use.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You and Van Gogh: forever intertwined in my lil mind. 🤓

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're definitely in good company with Van Gogh. I made walnut ink before we moved here but opted to get rid of any remainders just in case I spilled it on the carpet. If it weren't for the fact that I would have to get a dedicated 'pot' to cook it in, I'd be tempted to try it again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!