Sunday, June 12, 2022

Sunday, gentle rain, mailbox treasures, freeform ahoy

Woke early today to the sound of a peaceful rain and a cardinal singing in the tall evergreens outside the fence. He sang towards my window then turned and continued in the opposite direction, informing everyone of his territory, I think.

No need to water outside today, then.

Yesterday I followed up on a suggestion from last week's Textiles and Tea, and got this book from the library



It's been out quite a few years, so the actual patterns now look dated and a bit fussy, but the principles are as good as ever. 

Prudence Mapstone is Australian, and textile artists from Oz have long had a wonderful reputation for innovation in the textile arts, making great art quilts and weavings which leave the rest of textile design in the dust 

Here the general ideas of combining crochet and knitting seamlessly into garments is shown with levels depending on experience, and great encouragement to plunge in, not be looking for a pattern. As you can guess, this is very appealing to me, and I fancy adding some interest to my socks this way. I'm all for freeform.

Speaking of socks, here's what came in yesterday's mail, an offering for the Sock Ministry


Joanne Noragon surprised me with them, such beautiful and colorful work. She's a truly skilled knitter and this was a gift from her generous heart. 

It will be added in to the next package, with a note explaining how come there are socks in yarn they didn't give me, and who gets the credit. Joanne, thank you so much.

Meanwhile since she included the yarn tags, I'm checking whether I can invest in some for my own use.

Yesterday also brought the first canteloupe of the season, and that heavenly scent when you plunge in the knife to start cutting.


The seeds are already outside for squirrel Butternut Boy who loves them. And I have a few days of great taste and color to enjoy. Eating the rainbow! Seems particularly appropriate right now.



Today may be about soup,using those collard greens and the liquid along with various other powerhouse greens. Knitting Ministry too. Bit of stitching on the vest. Maybe a bit of freeform crochet, too.

And more (re) reading of Maisie Dobbs, always a great fallback






Happy day everyone, more power to all of us, particularly people struggling with health, politics, war, evil,  and feeling helpless. We're really not, if we do our own bit.


Photo credit AC




13 comments:

  1. Raining here too after a thunderstorm just rolled through. Really wish it would warm up a bit though. Guess I'll be spending the rest of the day with either knitting needles or crochet hook.
    The gifted socks are lovely - the colours are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked at the cantaloupes when I did my weekly shopping but they all looked very green but I'll keep checking them. And of course Joanne sent you some socks for the sock ministry because that's who she is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanne's lovely socks look so cozy and warm. And I haven't had cantaloupe since I don't remember when. It's going on my grocery list for next week now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the flowers(?) spilling down the shirt on the model. We had our first cantaloupe of the season last week and the taste of the flesh lived up to the divine smell you described.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joanne is precious, isn't she? And those socks are a glory.
    Melons are such beautiful fruits in all ways. I'm glad your cantaloupe was so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your day sounds perfect to me. I love cantaloupe and yet it's been some years since I've had it. I don't know why. I have planted some herbs this morning, that's about it so far. Enjoy your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A good cantaloupe is hard to beat. Unfortunately they can also be hard to find!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those socks are charming and your melon salad is gorgeous. I'll check out that mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty socks. The cardinal singing is a delightful image.

    Bird song. There's a new bird around here, small, chirpy sort of song. It looked like a chickadee, even chips like one, but sings as well. I think 2 birds in the tree fooled me thinking just one. The other new bird, sounds like a parakeet that just won't stop talking. Pretty song, but very chatty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad the socks were a pleasant surprise. Much like the first melon of the season!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The birds have been so vociferous that I sometimes hear them in the early morning before I put my hearing aids in. That is quit a feat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are fine, fine socks. Our local strawberries are ripe. Best dessert ever.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Joanne is indeed talented! Beautiful socks.

    I never thought to give the animals the squash seeds. That will change!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!