Monday, December 13, 2021

Tree of life in stone

 I just had to share this beautiful artwork with you. Yesterday we were all over the place on the Silk Road, with only a passing mention of India, so this is a continuation in a way,  of saluting one example of  stone tracery found at a mosque in India, designed and built by an Ethiopian master.


Beautiful intricate work. The tree of life seems to be a concept in many cultures. Now more than ever, it's good to see.

And here's our local tree rising over the roofs, now leafless for winter. 

This tree has helped me on countless difficult early mornings. A few minutes, and the day is much better, my spirits start to rise, I can manage. Never fails me. 

Speaking of life, here are the first shoots of those fingerling potato peels I planted. 

I'll add potting soil when it arrives here.

And lacy crepes for breakfast, with cane sugar and lemon juice.

They're very organic (!) in shape because the batter is thinned. Very much like the ones my mom made. They're too delicate to roll up, at least I can't do it. But they're a festive hot breakfast.

Since yesterday, I've loaded on my Kindle some poems of Rumi and Hafez, and I wish I could read them in the original languages. 

Rumi wrote in several languages, and I have to hope my translation is good. I have parts of the first book of his most famous epic poem the Masnavi. It was written in rhyming couplets, and my translation renders it that way, a bit awkward in English, but I guess a very difficult translation task.  Anyway I'll stick with it. 

Surprisingly often,  his thinking is echoed in Christian mystics, and seen in Richard Rohr's teaching. Maybe another time when West plunders East. 

I seem to be more timely than I realized. Born in Afghanistan, he died in Turkey on December 17, 1273. 

So that's where we are today. I love to sit drinking my breakfast tea with the low-lying winter sun slanting across the wall.


Happy day, everyone!

14 comments:

  1. The carved stone tree is indeed magnificent in its delicacy and balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, love the art work and other photos. Enjoy your day.🌸

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you have the slanting rays to enjoy over your beautiful fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Tree of Life is so gorgeous! The Tree of Life is such a powerful and common motif in the spirituality of many cultures. I read once that when spirituality of any culture reaches the highest level known as "mysticism," a commonality of insight emerges that unifies all the cultures. Perhaps that's why Western and Eastern thought seem so similar when reading Rumi and Christian mystics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That would account for a lot of the conjunctions I'm noticing lately. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A tree of life, indeed! Both that spectacular stone tracery (!?!) and your very own tree of life. A good way to start the day out right.

    Chris from Boise

    PS I had to chuckle, re-reading yesterday's Rumi poem. At first reading, I thought this was his last line: "His faith that art will save us all resonates today. It's definitely been keeping my little boat afloat." It sounded awfully modern, but the sentiments fit perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That carved-in-stone tree of life is incredible. Artists never ceased to amaze.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And I meant to say your fireplace bathed in sunlight is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those marble carvers were masters. I saw an image of a statue with a fishing net all carved out of a single piece of stone. Amazing. When you shed the trappings and myths of religion I think what is left is the core of mysticism. And crepes! Now i'm going to have to try and make some.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The tree of life, so intricate, so meaningful. I have been interested in the Silk Road since I was a young girl. Thanks for bringing it back. I love your interest in and knowledge of so many different subjects. I think it would be lovely to sit down and and have a cup of tea with you. Talking about life and things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you. Yes, it would be a good conversation with you and your interests, too

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chris I had thought of that after I published. But I figured it would be quickly clear Rumi didn't write my bit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I sit here wondering at the time it must have taken to create that tree of life in stone no less. Probably with rudimentary tools too. Pretty incredible overall.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!