Thursday, December 23, 2021

Christmas Eve Eve

Today's Christmas prep consists of taking the apricot sauce out of the freezer for Christmas dinner, and some of the cod out for Christmas Eve dinner. That's it.

I'm reading a couple of interesting books, both nonfiction, this one about how birds acquired their names. The title refers to a bird an ornithologist named for his ornithologist wife!  

The prose is very readable, even the introduction is interesting, but the font is holding me up, a bit small. 

Bird names originate all over, often the folk names which preceded the official ornithologist ones still hanging on despite all efforts to insist on the correct taxonomy. Some, such as goose, are so old we don't know the origin, other than speculating it's Indo-European, very old. 

And then the pilgrims arriving in New England, with no knowiedge at all, naming birds because they reminded them of European species. 

Hence the burly American robin, a completely different species from the tiny European robin redbreast. If you love this kind of thing you'll love this book.

And here's another lovely thoughtful one, part sewing instructions, part memoir, part illness journey, part musing on body image, arranged by season.. 

The photography, much of it her own,  is wonderful, pictures of projects and tools and fabrics, worth seeing even if you don't sew and really don't want to. She also has some intriguing thoughts about the therapeutic value of making in general, sewing in particular.

Behind Sanae Ishida, waiting in the wings,  is the  2022  Making calendar she illustrated, which is how I found her, a gift from dear C. 

You'll see more of it when the New Year gets here.  It's a series of animals and their arts, one each per month, lovely illustrations. 

I seem to have picked up Handsome Partner's Scottish New Year inhibition against studying the calendar before the New Year comes in!  

The number of Scottish traditions he followed.. he also had a wicked sense of humor, and it wouldn't surprise me if he made some of them up. 

His lifelong sorrow was that, as a redhead,  he couldn't first-foot our house -- be the first person over the threshold after midnight, bringing fuel (lump of coal) and food (bread or cake) and good cheer (Scotch), to be greeted with a kiss by the woman of the house. 

That's because only a dark haired male can do it. Our dark haired son was the official first footer, once he was old enough to stay awake.

Back to the present and the passage of time. I've been gradually moving spent flowers from the birthday bouquet, most of which is still going strong, either to press or to add to the dried flowers.

I have a little group of air plant, statice, and spent roses, the last from the bouquet, and yesterday I was just moving another rose into the arrangement when it exploded, making a lovely still life on the hearth, thereby illustrating exactly what I was doing.

Collaborative art.

And yesterday,  friend/ artist/contractor Mike, who designed and installed my mantelpiece and my library table as well as my deck and various great things around here, stopped over for a visit.

Bringing his homemade peppermint chocolate bark for Christmas. He's a great cook, baker and candy maker and we had a good catch-up before he, wife Dana and dogs, drive to Florida to spend Christmas with their Disney employee daughter.  

He gave me an animal update too. I knew their old Jack Russell died last year aged 19, leaving the middle aged Westie alone. So they now have a whirling dervish puppy of a Cavalier King Charles terrier, black and tan, who is leading them all a merry dance. His wife has been wanting a CKC for years. 

Brief health update around here: new med added in to address the blood pressure issue. So I got all my errands done, since I start on it today, and need to observe how I handle it. Hoping for no drama. No driving, just in case.

It's a good feeling to be all caught up, cleaners here last week, laundry done, food organized,  few cards mailed, just take walks and generally loaf about now. Wheeee!!



18 comments:

  1. The superstition about calendars which I observe is that it's bad luck to hang a new calendar on the wall before New Year's Day. I don't know if it's a Scottish superstition or not.

    Boy, that candycane chocolate bark looks good. I didn't make any this year. Showing some restraint, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. My wife likes your description of the Sewing Happiness book that she looked it up on the library's site and now has a hold on it. Have a wonderful and peaceful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome here, Bill. I hope your wife enjoys Sanae Ishida as much as I did. And a lovely Christmas to you both.

    Debra, he gave me bark a couple of years ago which I liked so much I learned to make it. And gave little bags of it in fancy red foil paper to my knitting group members at Valentine's. Largely so I wouldn't eat the lot, full disclosures. But they did enjoy their Valentines

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting, the first foot. I wonder how folks with strong red highlights handle it.
    I admire people that are organized. It is like reading good news.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas! It's not hard to be ready when your Christmas is as low key as mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the insistence on a dark haired man was to make sure it wasn't an invading blond Viking. The northeast of England, where I grew up, has many traces, in place names and language, of the repeated incursions, with looting and general chaos, of Vikings from around the 8th century. So a dark haired man represents good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Things have been chaos over here but a lot of it has to do with grandchildren and a new bed. But I still have things I definitely need to finish up before Saturday.
    I will think of you and your peaceful day and smile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with the new med. I have added a new one too, four now for blood pressure alone. This latest appears to be helping.

    I’d like that first book!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sue's dad used to be the first-footer back in the day when she was a girl and the grandparents lived there too. The grandparents were British. The tradition died with them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So great to see you back and commenting, Joanne!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the photo of the dried roses. And nice to have all done before a special day with enough time to just relax.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't know why I was always told that it was bad luck to look at a calendar before the month was current but interesting to know it originated in Scotland. I have Scottish ancestors so I guess that explains it.
    First-footing is something I've only read about. Have you heard of 'mummering'? If not, it's worth 'doing a google'.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There's a long Philadelphia tradition of the mummers parade for New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That bark looks good!

    And the book sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting to read your take on the "Mrs. Moreau's Warbler" book. We have it in our library, where I'm sad (but not surprised) that it hasn't attracted the attention of many students! But I was considering reading it myself -- so good to know you are liking it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's pretty heavy duty etymology, full of cultural, derivational and historical references. I'd guess maybe more for language-interested students than biologists. It's a book to dip in and out of, gems everywhere.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!