Monday, December 20, 2021

Dyeing stage two

Here's the current dye batch, after being overnight in the dyebath as it cooled. 

The liquid running out as I lifted them was clear, meaning exhausted, fabric won't take up any more.

Then I took off the rubber bands and rinsed the fabric under running cool water, to see the first stage of design


Then put on a pot of water with turmeric to boil, while I banded again, different designs.

Now it's all simmering for an hour or so, before I turn off the heat and leave it to cool and then I'll see how much longer it might need.

Turmeric's a strong dye as you'll know if you've cooked with it and got stains everywhere. No need for mordants with any of the materials I used to dye with in this batch. They can stand up for themselves!

After this stage, I'll see if stamping might be good, or if it's complete already.

The pot and tools you see here are strictly for dyeing. Once used for art making, tools never go back to cooking.

I stitched a tray cloth from half of another of  these napkins. The other half, once hemmed,  will make two tea napkins. 

I'm so fancy! They're heavy linen so stitching is tricky, getting the needle through. 

So that's the current State of the Studio.


8 comments:

  1. Yes, I've stolen many things from the kitchen for the studio. I'm wondering if the tumeric won't overwhelm the previous dye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll see! I can always redye with black walnut. The underlying fabric is gray and white stripes, so there will be some variegation anyway. I'll know in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pattern, it will be interesting to see the final results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to seeing the results. The process is fascinating. Turmeric is such a cheerful color!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that tray is most deserving of being dressed with nice linens. Even better - the element of repurposing and reusing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!