Tuesday, December 14, 2021

A day of up and down

Today I got the stitches, grandly known as sutures, removed. I felt bad all this morning before the appointment, decided it was nerves, did a meditation and thought in case they asked, I'd measure my blood pressure. This was not a good idea. Sky-high. 

But I decided well, go ahead anyway, and handsome Son was driving me, so I didn't have the responsibility of navigating lunchtime traffic.

It took quite a while, quite a few, not painless, the area under your eye being picky that way. But it's done. Dressed now with steri somethings, to which she said do nothing, they'll fall off in a couple of days. I'm just as glad to be done with the Telfa dressings.

Back to check in three months. I tried to leave without my glasses, noticed I couldn't see to text, retraced my steps, we found them,  leaving my bag somewhere, we found it. They were probably just delighted to see me leave!  Confusion reigned.

On the good side I found exactly the sweater I've been looking for for ages, in a catalog that came today. Not only that, it's in stock in the right color and size. This is like winning a minor raffle these days.

However, when you're putting out a cheery holiday catalog, here's a pro tip, marketers:

Don't insert these


But in the same mail came Christmoose greetings from my Canadian honorary granddaughter. So there's that.

In my sixties, for years I was bombarded with flyers and marketing calls with great deals on cemetery plots. After a few years, I guess they gave up on my dying on their schedule. 

Then I began to get Silver Singles, river cruises in Europe, pictures of people in their thirties in silver wigs from the look of it, waterskiing, climbing mountains, chucking themselves into diving bays. Now I guess it's back to burials.

Yesterday I did drive far enough to get the ceiling light that didn't stay up returned. It was pretty cool. They'd sent me a qr code, I just had to take the light, no wrapping, very easy, to the UPS store. 

They scanned the code, processed a receipt, and kept the light to pack with other returns. Sensible proceeding. And by a couple of hours later, the refund was done.  

They did say darkly that if it didn't get back to them they'd recharge me. But I have my trusty receipt. And the thing that stops a lot of us from returning items, the packing and taping and form filling, isn't a thing any more, it seems. Yay.

Since handsome Son was really squeezing in the trip to the doctor for me, and had to work it out at work, needing to be a bit late, long working day for him, I thought a little something would go over nicely. Two of these in his lunch doings.




They're some Southern cookie from Elizabeth Gilbert's great grandmother. My handwriting might not be a lot of help, but the book is At Home on the Range, by Margaret Yardley Potter,  originally published 1947, revised and republished recently by Elizabeth Gilbert. 

The recipe's online, but so riddled with ads I couldn't get a coherent image for you. I believe it's one of those chatty books with plenty of opinions in them, which could be fun to read..

They're pretty nice if you want to pursue them. Tiny recipe just enough for about a dozen little cookies.

And now to loaf, listen to an Angela Thirkell, and avoid looking at my healing face.

Happy evening everyone. Where I am anyway!


13 comments:

  1. Note to protective blogistas: I already have an appointment next week with my regular doctor to investigate this bp situation. I am addressing it, though it might not look like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you're going to try and figure out the BP thing although if you are like me, just having it taken, whether at home or in an office, makes it go up.
    Glad you got your stitches out and now- try to relax. That is done. It is over.
    Those cookies look like a real treat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an eventful day! Glad the stitches are out and your healing is progressing nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you for looking into the BP issue and I'm happy your face is healing nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on stitches out (mine came out today too, coincidentally, but fewer and easier). Hope the rest of the healing is completely unremarkable and you can bear to look in the mirror again sooner rather than later.

    Hope your BP settles down on its own again, but glad you're checking with your doctor. I'm with Ms. Moon - the monitor itself makes my BP go up. I'm trying to re-train my attitude but without a great deal of success so far.

    I did laugh out loud about the advert - yes, rather poor marketing. Hope the sweater arrives as expected; a find like that is always a pick-me-up. And the cookies look daintily delicious. Blessings to your Handsome, Goodhearted Son.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on being stitch free, Chris.

    E thanks so much for your continuing encouragement. It's much appreciated.
    Debra, tomorrow will be much more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes do take care - the bp issue is a problem - as my doctor long ago told me -- you don't want to be in a situation where you can't scratch your ass! You might try Tai Chi. It is helps me a great deal (YouTube has many choices).

    ReplyDelete
  8. My sister, the Pam Nash who commented, collects/collected cookbooks, the older the better. Anyway, she got rid of some when she moved this last time. Nice to have the stitches out. I have nothing healing on my face, just aging and I avoid looking at it as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for explaining Pam's your sister. I've known and been intrigued since she moved in yo her new nearby home, and I noticed your blogs seemed to be showing different angles of the same house arrival! I ruled out coincidence pretty quickly.
    Interestingly, I never knew I was vain until now when I don't like seeing me in the mirror. I thought I was pretty neutral about my looks, just acceptable, that kind of thing. It's been an upheaval.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome way to return an item. even I could do that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for stitches removed and healing to continue! Glad that’s behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, so am I! I seem to have been in edge forever about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad the hurtle of stitch removal is over - that's not fun and certainly not in such a sensitive area as this was. Fingers are firmly crossed that the BP issue is simply (not that it's in any way SIMPLE) the white coat syndrome.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!