Saturday, December 11, 2021

Light dawns. Twice.

Yesterday Gary was able to come over and replace the ceiling light that I'm returning, for the new one which should install better.

This was after a trip to Florida to renovate a friend's kitchen, home to tend a sick granddaughter, dentist for serious work, and who knows what else. He's a universal caregiver.

And he replaced the old badly designed light with this, which will most likely stay up. No books you say? Two jammed cases of them behind the photographer. And in the foreground the library table handmade by artist/contractor friend Michael from an old section of wood and scraps from the workroom. I use it all the time.

Back to the light installation. It did involve his partner, two stepladders, a lot of climbing up and down, holding wires and shining a flashlight, because dark with the breaker off,  to handle the wires, repeated searches for glasses, screwdrivers, straight slot and Phillips, but they succeeded.

Partner had just come over innocently to return a container from those filled pastry shells I'd taken over. 

Partly to give me an account of how good they were, how fast they'd gone, partly to do her part for the supply chain. 

Without containers, how could I keep up supplying treats, after all. And she ended up, as people always will around Gary, handing stuff, looking for stuff  and climbing ladders. 

Once the light was safely up and the people safely down,  I asked him about the suddenly nonworking outlet in the kitchen, which we'd talked about before. 

After thinking about it, plugging this and that in here and there, resetting the GFCI yet again, to no avail; he said oh, maybe there's another GFCI in here.  Other end of the same counter.

Pushed it in, problem fixed. I never knew, and I've owned this house for well over 30 years.  Even painted over them, you'd think I'd have noticed.

Not too observant. You could definitely have introduced a giraffe out there and if I was cooking it would go unobserved while I walked around it assembling ingredients.

Report from the repaired face: healing, looking more like a face, despite lurid areas, bp more predictable. No pictures, to spare the sensitive. 

I'll be quite good at applying the dressing by the time I don't need to any more. Round your nose and across under your eye is hilly terrain, slippery with Aquafor, to apply a flat, nonstick, dressing and tape it down to be airtight. 

I'm pretty dexterous and I do wonder how all-thumbs people manage. The instructions do emphasize getting an airtight seal for healing. As if, when you're also eating and the whole area's moving gently however carefully you proceed. 

The stitches, now that I can see them, are tiny and beautiful. Augurs well.

I saw a great program about ancient hats of the Silk  Road today, much photo editing to do, organizing sorting out thoughts, and I'll  get it to you.

16 comments:

  1. Glad to hear the healing is proceeding well. Dexterity comes in handy, especially when doing something in reverse in the mirror.

    God bless Gary and those (including his partner) of his ilk. Glad you have better light and a working outlet. And here's to overlooking giraffes. Heaven preserve me if I ever am called upon to be an eyewitness.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bless him all the time! Jackie too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a blessing it is to have good neighbors. That is the way it's supposed to be. And I know that you are a good one.
    Glad to hear your face is healing. That bandaging does sound tricky.
    I'm the same way as you are about noticing things. Add that to the fact that there are many outlets in this house which do NOTHING! I can't even imagine how many different people have worked on the electricity here once it was invented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I'm not alone in my inability to register what I'm seeing unless it's what I'm focusing on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone needs a Gary in their lives!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot multitask well either...So glad you are healing and have someone who can help with small repairs. Lukas sends a hearty meow...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's very civil of Lukas. I number a lot of cats among my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm very lucky to know Gary. He has a lot of people in his life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not totally up to speed on what's been going on with you, but I did read about your surgery. I hope you heal up completely with no (or minimal) scarring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to read your healing is progressing well
    Repair persons should have a grand trade name to reflect their great value. Home healer sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Becki, good to see you again. Good idea, SP, about the elevated title. Also maybe one for a retired IT executive who loves to do home renovation, like Gary!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you're all fixed up with good lights and working outlets!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are fortunate indeed to have a Gary in your life. Having to call (and pay for) an electrician or a plumber to do small repairs is certainly costly. Payment in baked goods is a win/win for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My new house has many GFIC plugs which is good although sometimes it's a challenge to figure which control what plain plugs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad to hear light is fixed and body is healing. And what a place to attempt an airtight seal.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've had one of those "doh!" moments with a gfi plug too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!