Sunday, December 5, 2021

Another blogiversary and other diversions

Today's the 11th anniversary of my art blog, Art, the Beautiful Metaphor, which I folded recently into Field and Fen. This is why you're seeing more art content in here.

Here's a couple of watercolor and chalk paintings I showed in the first post on Beautiful Metaphor. 




The title of the blog is a joke on Soccer, the Beautiful Game. Only soccer fans ever caught that, but oh well. It's also a musing on how art is a metaphor for life. And vice versa, even more interesting.

Then, back to now, there's Lucy Worsley and royal history which I watched yesterday, noting how very little has changed in politics since Tudor times. 


On one of the programs, there's an episode on the Russian revolution, with surprising revelations contradicting what most of us thought happened then. A lot of what we think was in fact publicity spin. Nothing new there. 

Did you know, I didn't, that the Russian revolution was started by thousands of women textile workers massing in St Petersburg, on International women's Day? February 1917. They marched on factories urging men to down tools and join them. Even coopted the police ahead of time, so when the Czar inevitably ordered a crackdown, the police failed to open fire. 

That was in February, Lenin in Switzerland, nothing to do with him, despite his later claims. Then the October revolution, billed by the men running it as the real one, erased the role of the women while taking advantage of the gains they'd made. Sounds so familiar.

Anyway I accompanied this with a decadent dessert, defiantly.

One of those almond pastry shells, remember them? filled with yogurt mixed with maple syrup, topped with an apricot and a chocolate chip. Spooned out the contents then ate the container.

And 

And my current go-to rapid supper, fingerling potatoes, scallions, roasted then oven off, longhorn cheese on top to melt.

Oh, the molded paper piece looks promising. 


Here it is, released from the pumpkin stems, and now waiting for more in order to make a shadow box artwork. It suggests a few scene ideas.

Happy Sunday, everyone. I woke quite sure it was Monday, so I got an extra day.


9 comments:

  1. Happy Blogoversary! Lovely chalk and watercolour art! Yes, the Bolsheviks essentially staged a coup during the general unrest of 1917 and well, the rest is history, as they say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do very much like those chalk and watercolor works!
    I know shamefully little about Russian history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to learn much about modern Russian history because in the west we've only got the version the regime has given us. Historians like Worsley are very helpful when they can access original documents and explain them. Particularly when they are hand corrected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right, only it seems things are actually worsening...I love watching Lucy Worsley because I always learn something. I could make a home for those watercolors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not fair to a guy who hasn't had desserts for a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're very healthy! The cases are almonds, egg white, whole wheat flour, filling plain yogurt, bit of maple syrup, dried plain apricot. Tres good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seeing the art in the first photos made me think how wonderful they would look printed onto fabric.
    And you sound positively daring (in reference to eating your container!).
    Enjoyed the 'correct' history lesson as well - much of what we think we know about that country has, no doubt, been censored.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The colours in the art are gorgeous! I would love those in my home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If anyone is interested in acquiring art, just email me, and I'll check if I have them. Some of that collection were sold.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!