Thursday, December 2, 2021

Nerd delight, stealth art and the intersection of art and cooking

 I thought if we have any number nerds among us, you'd like this


And, before you say nobody puts the date year first, in fact people who work with big databases do. It's just a fun thing, like Pi(e) Day and May the Fourth be with you.

Earlier today I seized the day to catch the fall Japanese maple in sunshine. 


It clouded over soon after, but I made a composition here, indoors.


I like the contrast in shape and direction of the ginger foliage and the oak grain. Color too. Not that color matters here. Shapes and relationships are what this composition is about, not what it depicts. 

All my photos are carefully composed and cropped to say something beyond what they're showing.  Just a word to the sharp of eye!

Then, since some of the tips I've been getting about the little derm surgery next week, talk about soft food, to minimize chewing, the stitches being on my  face and better not disturbed, I thought soup.

The sugar pumpkin you last saw outside with the wooden cat, is now soup, along with cashews, lentils and celery, using up the vegetables before tomorrow's Misfits box arrives.

In the course of boiling it to make easy cutting and seeding, the long stem broke off and it's so pleasing a grainy shape, that I thought I'd do a bit of handmade paper molding.

I have quite a bit of cotton linters pure white paper, and I sprayed a thin sheet arranged over two bits of stem with clear water. 



It will be a few days before it dries completely, at which point I can lift it off and see how it worked. Material for future composition maybe. This is how I molded those earlier gold pieces you saw on one of the now completed figure series.

And since we're in the neighborhood of outdoor art and natural materials, here's the finished exhibited work from the rock filled cherry tree caper 

It's a triptych, said the gallery manager grandly. All framed on one backing.


Center is an ink drawing mounted on an image transfer, left and right are image transfers of my film photos of the rocky tree, left just of the tree, right the tree in context. 

And while I'm at it, here's a work to which I added bits later, designed to hang outdoors unprotected on the fence, for birds and squirrels to play with. 

Carolina wrens had a grand time climbing in it and swiping bits in spring for nest material. Squirrels climbed and yanked and chewed and had a good time. It's knitted, using several techniques, the light part parcel string, the dark part garden twine. 

It lasted about three years before weather and wildlife reduced it to rags, at which point I hung it in the woods.

And here's an indoor piece, exhibited years ago in some show or other. 

Twining, knotting with lark's head knots, a favorite, knitted using both string and copper wire, handmade beads. It's built on my late beloved cockatiel Emily Hope's swinging perch, that shape you see, a kind of shrine to her. 

So that's where we are, after I got up feeling glum, nothing to do, nothing to write about, before a nice chat with a neighbor and her dog, a brief encounter with a ladybug in the kitchen, now resident in the houseplants, and a good walk, set me up much better.

13 comments:

  1. I echo Debra's sentiments! I am glad your glumness is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Triptych: SQUIRRELS! (Quoting from your earlier post). It is gorgeous, and almost as much fun as stumbling on the real thing would have been.

    Glad your spirits lifted - certainly the sharing of such a collection of art is a day-brightener for us readers. I'm eager to see the squash "handle" mold once it dries. And leaf on wood - gorgeous as well. And 'shrine to Emily" - just lovely.

    Chris from Boise, who will keep her eyes sharply peeled when admiring your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're sounding good, Chris, I'm glad. And thank you for the attention you're paying to my offerings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m with Debra too.

    Soup for next week sounds like a good plan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've woken up with my cold all in my head, feeling achy again but your words and seeing your projects have cheered me and soon the sun will be shining in my own Japanese maple and it's going to be a beautiful day and I am glad to be here and am thinking of things I might do to enjoy in this good day.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's lovely to hear. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a year-first kinda guy. When we first went metric ~40 year ago, I read something to the effect that it was the preferred way. Nobody else picked up on that expect for the government.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had diffculty concentrating on 80% of this post because the first 20% occupied all of the space in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting reactions to the number fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, yet another 'who knew' moment when I visit you. Must admit the disparity in writing the numbers for dates drives my genealogist mind somewhat batty sometimes. Why they can't settle on one system and stick to it bothers me no end. And don't get me started on the metric system that still, even after all these years, hasn't managed to sink into my brain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, yet another 'who knew' moment when I visit you. Must admit the disparity in writing the numbers for dates drives my genealogist mind somewhat batty sometimes. Why they can't settle on one system and stick to it bothers me no end. And don't get me started on the metric system that still, even after all these years, hasn't managed to sink into my brain.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!