Saturday, September 4, 2021

Plants, connections

The prayer plant you've seen growing from a little cutting is now growing out of recognition. After I removed a double handful of leaves today, it's like this


Since it's never stopped blooming, tiny flowers, I'm guessing it's happy. So I went online in search of pruning advice. 

And found every single source only talks about propagation. And considering the scrawny specimens they're showing as healthy and flourishing, I'd say no wonder they're not talking pruning. 

So I just guessed and did it. We'll see if I guessed right in a while.

And while I was at it, two views of a collection with a sad little history



This was originally a tiny little planted collection from the funeral of my neighbor's young son. It came to me because she couldn't bear to care for it. The irony of seeing it grow was too much for her, since her son died in his early 20s.

So I took it on and it's now huge. Every now and again she'd come over to visit it.
Yesterday I was over there and she asked after it, hadn't seen it in a while.

I wanted to send her these pictures, since the plant's in the upstairs group and stairs are hard for her right now. 

And my phone has quit receiving and sending texted pictures. Also I suddenly can't access my incoming voicemail. Or change my outgoing message to say so.

So here's the next part, and there is a connection here, really



Banana bread, first in ages, with walnuts and raisins. Because after going through all the suggested steps on the carrier site, and all the steps on their chatline, they ended up referring me to customer service. 

I then consulted any number of helpful techie people online. The menus I need, since it's an MMS problem, are not available on my phone. It's a carrier issue. Which I kinda guessed from the suddenness of the change from working to not.

 I can't consult carrier customer service, since I can't hear anything or follow what they're saying. Also they often suggest I use another phone to help in the fix. Which I don't have.

Soooooo, since I hope to see Handsome Son in the next few days, and have a nothing to give him to eat, while planning to ask him to make the call and help either fix it or decide on a new phone..least I can do is sustain him with a slice or three of banana bread 

Always something. I'm hoping not a new phone this soon..


15 comments:

  1. It's so MADDENING when technology doesn't work! But your banana bread looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping for good karma from making the effort.

      Delete
  2. Baked goods can always take away the sting of stubborn technology! They can also reward the one that comes to help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have banana bread and I'm not afraid to use it!

      Delete
  3. I hope you and your son enjoy that banana bread and can figure out a solution to y0our phone woes. Have you tried going online to your carrier?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did explain that. Yes, I did, I followed everything their ai said. You always end up phoning. They have no other way of fixing the phone without knocking you offline.

      Delete
  4. The story of you tending and growing the plant, and your neighbor visiting it is really sweet. I hope you (or handsome son) gets the phone to working properly. Very smart of you to think ahead! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoping the best with the phone. Yummy banana bread.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A few months ago I literally just reached down into the dirt of my own prayer plant and pulled some up by the roots and gave it to my daughter. Both of our plants are doing well.
    I SO hope your phone problem is resolved quickly and relatively easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too on the phone. About the prayer plant, I didn't want another one! Nobody to give to, and I can't handle more pots! So I wanted to just prune this one. we'll see if my brute force worked.

      Delete
  7. I don't understand why you wanted to prune the prayer plant when it was looking so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said, this is how it looks now, AFTER taking out a double handful of leaves. It looked like hell before. I didn't even want to take a picture.

      Delete
  8. I thought it wasn't all that long ago that you got a new phone? Maybe I'm wrong? Either way, I hope Handsome Son can work some magic and get you up and running again.
    Talking about phones - it appears we will be needing to use vaccine passports here in the near future and as of this moment guess where they'll be available. Only on those fancy phones, which of course I do not possess. It infuriates me to possibly be forced into spending horrific amounts of money in order to a) get one of those phones and b) pay for internet on it. Hopefully they will think kindly of us who simply can't afford to go that route and come up with some other form of 'passport'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's less than two years, which doesn't seem long to me. We have paper vaccine certificates. Mine's in my wallet with a picture in my phone. Is this passport instead of that?

      Delete
    2. At the moment all we have to show for the fact that we've had the vaccine is two printed-from-the-computer papers (one for each shot) that take up altogether too much room in a wallet. Passport/certificate - same thing - just different names. Those who have the fancy phones have the advantage because all they have to do is probably just scan something to show they're fully vaccinated. The rest of us, at least for now, have to cart around the large paper versions.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!