Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Sewing and snoozing

Today was going to be about starting to cut and sew my skirt, then take a local  expedition to the pond, to walk the trail with water on both sides. 

However last night's missing sleep and early hours' blogging changed the plan.

I started the skirt, I love how this rayon challis handles, soft but not too slippery. The pattern is multidirectional so no need to look out for how to cut to get it right way up, and I'm not using a pattern.

Here, left to right, the pieces. 

Left is the main bit, middle is the waistband, right the future pockets. They'll probably be patch, because there's only one seam, so inserting two pockets might be a strain on the fabric on the side where I'd have to cut an opening in the fabric, rather than just leave an opening in a seam, to insert the pocket.

Then the seam will be French, an enclosed type of double seam where you run one line of stitching wrong sides together, 

then turn it inside out, fold down the fabric, rolling it to raise the seam, then stitch another line right sides together, to enclose the first stitching. 

It's a lovely seam, with lightweight fabrics where there's not much strain on the seam. Expensive underwear used to be French seamed. So my exclusive custom designed unique skirt will, too.

The idea I've decided on  is to gather the main piece into the waistband which will be wide enough to navigate my hips, and then run elastic through the band to make it snug. 

That way there's no placket to be fussing with, and it avoids the bulk I'd get by just gathering the waist directly with elastic, and I can still get into it, always a good point.

So far, so really good.

Then, ready to leave for the Pond,  bag, water bottle, hat, keys, I suddenly realized I was tired. So, change of plan. An hour's sleep, then a local walk, no driving.

This year the fall fruits and nuts are spectacular. 


Staggering about on a carpet of acorns, beechnuts, hazel, black walnuts to get these pictures.

What's this?

I'm sure I know it, can't name it. Bits of its fluff flying everywhere.

And a late flowering honeysuckle, among all the berries of its faster friends.

Many insects, too including a large white butt wasp with a black and white striped shirt. I  kept a respectful distance in case it was a hornet, since it was burly as these animals go. Hence no picture.

I might check in on Textiles Tuesday, and if it's interesting I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Meanwhile drinking tea, reading an Andy Carpenter on my Kindle. I got a message from Misfits saying sorry, one item can't be delivered in tomorrow's box. So no broccoli, but I'll live. I'd have been more perturbed if it had been the honey crisp apples for which I have crumble plans.

17 comments:

  1. Yeah, I can live without broccoli too and frequently do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was kind of wondering. I like broccoli and eat it, but a day without it is okay really.

      Delete
  2. Your day sounds lovely. Sewing and a walk. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snd that was only the first bit. There was a lovely Textiles and Tea, about which more tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. Love the fabric
    French seams are the way to go whenever possible, especially with flannel, and tote bags. Mother taught me making pillow cases. Ah, the memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting to think back to working with your mom.

      Delete
  4. that's how I made my skirts a couple of years ago. had some fabric I picked up at a yard sale, used two lengths of 45" wide cotton so mine had two side seams and I put in side seam pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned French seams in 7th grade sewing class, on treadle machines. I learned "real sewing" from my mother.
    I love your fabric and the garments will be lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you know French seaming you'll understand my clumsy attempt at explaining it. I do like to have the skills at my disposal. Even when you get rusty you can still get them going again.

      Delete
  6. We call that fluffy plant wild lettuce. A mild sleep aid can be made by cooking the leaves in a sort of tea. We use it on occasion.
    I love a french seam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have done flat-felled seams but with a lighter fabric the French seam is perfect. That will be a beautiful skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. Flat felled is aka run and fell. For seams needing more strength.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for the reminder about French seams - not something I require very often but good to have them in the back of my mind. Pillowcases are one of the next things 'up' on my to do list and I used the burrito method which, as I recall, uses a form of French seams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I need to know more about the burrito method! Something new to learn.

      Delete
    2. So I checked out the burrito idea and it's not related to French seams. I've done this without all the rolling and unrolling not knowing it was a thing! It does give a nice effect and I do it quite simply. I did it on that comfy robe, and on lined purses.

      Delete
  9. Actually the pattern/tutorial I use for the pillowcases does use French seams. I've seen other patterns that use the same rolling method but don't take it the step further for the seaming.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!