Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Textile Tuesday, on Wednesday

Yesterday's textile Tuesday featured Deborah Jarchow, whose book 


is a lot of fun for anyone wanting to explore a whole lot of weaving and other textile ideas. It's a great tasting event, and she turns out to be a cheerful weaver in person, too. It's in the collection of our local library, and you might want to see if you can borrow it locally.


She creates large exhibit pieces such as these wrapped tubes

And wearable art like these


Since she's in the middle of building a house which will contain her studio, she hasn't a studio right now, so she used a virtual background which shows a fraction of her yarns and looms. 

She loves the rigid heddle, as well as floor looms, has rhs in all sizes and has a book coming out at the end of the year on approaches to the rigid heddle loom. 

It's a simple device, portable and, she points out, great to try, to see if you like weaving before embarking on a floor loom, if you ever do. I love the rigid heddle concept, even carved myself a small one from plastic, a la Sarah Swett, except she used wood.

I was given my loom by the embroiderers guild, nobody needing to use it. But if ever anyone does, I'll lend it out gladly.

Here's the loom


The slotted part is the rigid heddle. Warp strands are threaded through those slots to maintain even spacing, and the heddle is raised and lowered to change the shed.  The green slip is my notes reminding me how to warp it.

And here's one of the wall hanging experiments I made on it. I tried all kinds of weaving ideas here.


Many of the threads donated, thank you K!

While I was pulling out the rh loom I brought out my handheld signed Hokel and my lovely American made metal potholder loom on which I've made a lot of things that were not potholders. It's versatile.


Anyway watching her definitely revived my interest in weaving again. I notice how often the people on this series are just so happy. They're serious workers, but far from solemn, a great promotion for the pleasure of working in textiles.

 


14 comments:

  1. Great post
    The pot holder loom is the level I'm at with weaving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the only weaving I've ever done is making potholders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I mention my potholder loom so many people say oh, oh, I've done that!

      Delete
  3. I did potholders as a little kid...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you still have them? Some people hang on to them for life! Or maybe their moms do.

      Delete
  4. Nothing sells an activity more than seeing how someone takes great joy in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true. Art can be a joyful experience even when it's the hardest work.

      Delete
  5. We went to a Habitat for Humanity store and in amongst all the modern furniture and stuff was a large loom and other weaving apparatus, looking so very well used and old and sturdy. It was like an entire story, right there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes people have to give up their big looms when they downsize in old age. I hope that one gets a good home. They have such presence.

      Delete
  6. Speaking of looms - as a young child I spent a lot of time 'across the road' (in farming terms that means visiting the neighbours across the way) and she had one of those massive floor looms that she would allow me to carefully 'assist' with. She created tablecloths and floor rugs. How I wish I had been gifted with a piece of her work.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!