Wednesday, September 22, 2021

First day of Fall

And the sycamore propellers are coming down. 


See how the wind whirled them into a circle on the path? Do you remember as kids trying to pinch them onto your ears, then balance them on top, like earrings? Then tie them into a necklace? 

A walk in the park today and there's the first lovely fall sky, cloudy, fast moving. 




First tinge of color change in the trees. It's only been down to the 40s overnight, no touch of frost yet.

While I'm waiting for my Misfits box minus broccoli, I'm doing the running stitches around the waist of the skirt, ready to gather into the waistband.


Handy selvedge markings provided a straight line to follow.

Usual approach: two gathering threads, strong thread, running in opposite circles but following the same footstep to make even gathers. Next I'll close the ends of the waistband, ready to pin the divisions in it. Same with marking divisions in  skirt body, to get gathers evenly distributed. I think that's for tomorrow.

So Misfits box finally arrived, nearly 6 pm., Four hours later than I used to get delivery. And it felt a bit light when I brought it in. Usually it's a struggle to get it over the step while navigating the storm door. Then I opened it and thought it looked a bit skimpy.

Checked my list and found it was missing several items. So I notified them and will get a refund. A refund doesn't make up for not getting what I ordered when I was counting on it. I rarely had lateness and missing items problems before. And apples came in ordinary noncompostable plastic bags. I never do that. 

Since I changed delivery days it's been much less satisfactory. This might mean that Wednesday deliveries (Tuesday packing)  are not so good at the source nor at FedEx locally. I think I'll try switching back to Friday delivery (Thursday packing) and see.  Misfits may be growing too fast, too. They keep announcing new regions.

What arrived is fine, and here's my salad supper of spinach, celery and a gala apple, with a ribbon of mayo. 

But I'm currently a somewhat dubious camper. Poor me!

14 comments:

  1. It is a skimpy offering. Good job your freezer is full!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's funny to feel deprived considering I do have supplies!

      Delete
  2. Sorry about your delivery, that kind of thing is getting more common. Good that you are so versatile in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since they've been so good up to recently, I'm disappointed. Have you heard Sarah Millican (?) wishing that if stores had to send substitutions they'd be something like Swiss roll for cucumber!

      Delete
  3. All but the food delivery is good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are beautiful pictures of the park. We don't have a sycamore tree but we do have a maple that has hundreds of the little seed pods that twirl to the ground. When my boys were little they called them the "helicopter seeds" and would collect boxes of them to play with. It's the simple things that are often the most fun for children.

    Sorry you got short changed on your Misfits, but at least they do look fresh and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think kids like toys they find for themselves outdoors. Acorn caps, propeller seeds, interesting rocks.

      Delete
  5. I've been meaning to say, that I really love that fabric. Such a pretty yellow and cheery print. You've given me pause about the gathering threads. It's been so long since I've basted in threads for gathering something that I don't know if I never knew about basting in opposite directions or if I've forgotten, but that is an interesting thing to me. Kinda makes me want to go try it for the sake of learning something. Gorgeous pictures of clouds there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not everyone who does the two directional gathering, but it's a great way to get even gathers. Maybe you'll do a little sample just to see.

      Delete
  6. Don't think I've ever done the two direction aspect when gathering (or if I have it's been inadvertently!) but I tend to use dental floss rather than ordinary thread because I've had too many breakages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know you're a keen advocate for dental floss, and it's very useful. Certainly pretty much unbreakable.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!