Sunday, September 19, 2021

Perfect day for the Preserve

Clear sky, temps in the low 80s, low humidity, just right for that postponed walk on the Preserve. 

But first I did a bit of local observing for my seasons notebook. The first acorns.



Birds and squirrels have been enjoying dogwood berries










So, back home,  I assembled a vignette

Artists among us no doubt noted the homage to Cezanne and nearer home, Milton Avery. The vertiginous foreground is what I mean. No one does vertiginous better than they do.

Then off to the Preserve. I had hoped for a spell of sitting by the lake in the one tiny place with a waterside bench. Today it was occupied by a group, too close for comfort, so I had to pass. But they were videotaping and having a lovely time. It's great to see enjoyment in action.

I went to the beechwood instead, and caught other interesting sights. 

Fleabane, big clump at the edge of the trees.

Dead nettle here. Beautiful wildflowers with rotten names whose idea was this. 

This immediate area has vernal ponds, tiny ones, with all sorts of aquatic life which appear magically each year and leave when the spring moves on and the ponds dry up.

Since there were people bumbling about on the regular farm road trail, I slipped from the wood to the parallel field trail on my way back.


Those woods are full of deer. None visible today, but at dusk they'll emerge.

Butterflies everywhere, which didn't show up in my pix, lovely dusky swallowtail butterflies, you have to take my word on them. Many little green grasshoppers, one of which I think came home with me, but it jumped off me in the house and I can't find it.

There are many bayberry bushes in the Preserve, no berries yet, and if you collect and boil down 24,586,342 of them you'll manage a candle. Those settlers had their work cut out. The women, that is. 

Home now, roasting fries, sweet and white potatoes, fir supper, knitting more of the beaded figure's top, drinking tea, blogging to you, friends.

Doesn't get much better!



10 comments:

  1. What a beautiful day! And a gorgeous blue sky. Your grasshopper coming home with you reminds me that a few weeks ago, I woke up to something on my leg, and when I checked, it was something that looked like a grasshopper - maybe an immature one? I screamed and somehow collected it, but I'm afraid in my momentary terror, I killed it rather than let it outside. Felt kind of bad about it, as I suspect it innocently hopped onto a sheet I had dried on the line earlier in the day and then folded up and carried in and put the poor thing on my bed myself. Now that would have been a story to tell on my blog. I don't seem to think that way when the stories are fresh, but reading others blogs (like yours) brings these things out of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most people's reaction would be to squash the insect strolling about on you, when you'd just woken up. Before realizing it's not a biting one.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I do like making them. And I'm getting ideas for the setup of the exhibit as I go.

      Delete
  3. These are all beautiful pictures! I love the vignette, especially the addition of acorns. When I was a child I always imagined the top of the acorn was a perfect hat for fairies or little people! I still feel that way. ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that they are really called acorn caps! They make me want to make little people to fit.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous photos and that doll is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so nice that you have a wonderful place to walk. nothing like that around here, just corn and cotton fields.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely to notice the small things while on a walk because so often we don't because we're too focused on the destination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you notice so much more on foot. Less on a bike, practically nothing in a car.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!