Thursday, September 2, 2021

Nature and privilege

Nature first. I planted three of the dozen moringa seeds, figuring that if they don't flourish I'll try again with more.


Right now, though the pot's very wet from Ida, I thought since there's no rain forecast for several days, it might dry out enough not to rot the seeds.

They're a lovely shape, with a soft husk in a triangular form. They'll come indoors when the weather cools because they're definitely tropical.

And while we're out there, here's the ginger


doing better since I took Aditha's advice and covered them deeper.

And the wild blackberry running riot where I had been tossing vegetable and fruit scraps. No sign of berries but I live in hopes.

This 

is probably a melon or squash plant winding its way around the ground cover,  a few flowers blooming, though it might be a bit late to get any fruit before cold weather. It's a volunteer from seeds that Butternut Boy missed.


I've been involved with a semi serious online discussion about privilege today, mainly the kind of  unconscious privilege of world travelers who assure us that home's best. 

Or ladies taping videos from palatial homes about their programs of frugality. People with all kinds of options advising us to seek joy in the little things.  

As Josie  George points out, these are important ideas, but we need to recognize if we're qualified to express them to people who don't have money, time, health,  interesting convo.  

She has terrible ill health, writes, luminously,  about her immediate surroundings because that's all she can access. She takes joy in small things because she has no opportunity of larger ones. Many days she can't get further than bed to chair, if that. She doesn't toot her own flute, just muses.

I'd say she's qualified. Someone who went on a year long Eat Pray Love pilgrimage to Europe and Asia, to come home enlightened, not so much!

The people, usually men, who say you need to take the first hour of the day for quiet thought and reflection before you involve yourself. It does sound hollow to a parent who can not do that without little kids wanting breakfast, help finding shoes, cats throwing up, dogs wanting out, her own clothes and appearance needing to get ready for work. 

Or the idea of setting aside savings from every paycheck, offered as advice to people choosing between groceries and rent. The advice to borrow from parents to put a down payment on a home. Assumes the parents can afford to do it! 

And so on. The minimalist movement is largely led by people who can afford it, ironically. Simple can be expensive. But don't worry, you can buy all sorts of magazine subscriptions and books and gear to help you be minimal..

I'm not very worked up about it, just smiling wryly when I come across it, which is pretty often. It does get pretty funny after a while.

Do you have any tiny axes to grind on this subject? 

20 comments:

  1. We all need to recognize the areas in our own lives where we enjoy privilege. Everyone's life is a complex mixture of privilege and oppression, if you examine things with an honest eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trick is to detect privilege. Not always easy. So hard to uncover assumptions, since the nature of them is to be invisible to us.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for raising this important issue!

    Tiny? Bathrooms the size of my small apartment...house hunters looking at a huge bathroom, and one of them says...it's too small. What are those people thinking! The average toilet doesn't need all that space nor does their butt.
    I'm not done.
    Entrepreneur success stories...the ones with gorgeous house, support system, relatives to borrow from, spouse to support the business, yadayadayada. Oh the struggle of it all. Not.
    Good the person has started a business. But, it didn't happen oh his or her own. The homeless single parent that rises up knows struggle. The poor, know struggle. The handicapped, know struggle. Oh, and are there no homely people that succeed? Why so many good looking successful people get feature is a mystery? Maybe not.
    Ok. That's it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! The assumption that looks don't matter applies if you have them! And the tiny four bedroom house...etc.

      Delete
  3. Appreciated reading your thoughts today, Liz. There is a lot of irony in having enough money to aquire so much stuff so that one has to get rid of it to be freer - which is where I am at the moment. Salty's comment above reminds me of the book, Breaking Night by Liz Murray. It's the most uplifting awful story I've read in a while. It's exactly the kind of success story that doesn't get told often enough. Cool seeds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must check that book, thank you.

      Delete
    2. I found it's probably a rewrite of Homeless to Harvard, which I read some time ago, with quite a bit of scepticism about its accuracy.

      Delete
    3. Since that's the subitle of the first book, I'm sure it is a reprint or rewrite of the first. Curious why you were skeptical. That said, I suppose we'd all do well to have a healty amount of skeptism when reading any bios and autobiographies. ;^)

      Delete
    4. Mainly because she has a sister, barely mentioned, who's led what sounds like a pretty normal life, and who I gather, has nothing to do with her. She conflates a number of similarly named places in the UK and the US, which also makes me wonder.

      Delete
    5. Thanks for responding to my question, Liz. The first thing I took to be simple respect that she could not speak for her sister (possibly because she was differently affected by the whole ordeal). You make me wonder. The second thing I wouldn't have had a reference point for. If that's true, I can see how that would raise the skeptic antennae. Thanks again!

      Delete
  4. Oh yes, I hear what you are saying and I agree. There was a time in my life when I was divorced with two small children. It was all I could do to pay bills and buy food so when it was suggested that I put x amount of money aside each month I was not sure if I should laugh or cry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nowadays it amuses me to be told that something can be itemized against taxes. As if my income had ever been high enough to itemize anyway!

      Delete
  5. The poverty so apparent in the area where I live is enough to remind me daily that I am as fortunate as anyone on this earth could be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you are not a person to suggest to anyone else what they could do to improve their lives. You're very respectful.

      Delete
  6. I've always thought it was a noble aspiration to be able to put aside a certain percentage of income but really wonder how people in our income bracket can begin to even think about it. By the time we pay our rent and put food on the table there's not a whole lot left over. Yes, I could do without crafting supplies but then I wonder what I would do with my life. I don't buy books anymore - our clothes are pretty much all from the thrift store (underwear and shoes excluded) - and we cook from scratch. Restaurant meals are a thing of the past. Gone are the days of being able to even go for a drive on a Sunday afternoon.
    We often watch the home improvement shows on HGTV, just to laugh at the extravagance. Do people really need a bathroom for every person in the house? Do they need a master bath that's bigger then our entire apartment?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember the days when I worked in a school with poor children. I looked at jewelry I wore and thought, what am I doing with this? I stopped wearing jewelry and have given it away. I have too many things and try not to add more to it. My husband doesn’t have the same idea however and continues to add to the household stuff. I would like to pare down the stuff and live simply. I started to do it but it’s a losing battle. Who knows what the future will bring?

    ReplyDelete
  8. people who never had to struggle to pay bills and eat and their advice for those that have tick me off. we were working artists living hand to mouth raising two kids. the rare times we managed to put some money away it was always withdrawn to pay bills or buy food or clothes for the kids. we would go months sometimes with no real income. we adopted the less is more philosophy because we had to though it did make life simpler in some ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that people who never had to struggle have no idea how often they buy their way out of trouble without even knowing it. Such as by paying all your bills without needing yo juggle them for priorities. Do you don't get hit with late charged. Or keeping a balance in your checking account which saves you from overdrawing even by accident and being hit with bank charges. Being able to maintain your car to avoid breakdowns. It's expensive to be poor.

      Delete
  9. The other side of the Privilege coin: the "oh you're so LUCKY" complaint, usually fueled by jealousy for all the things YOU have as oppposed to all the things THEY have.

    And yes, that's a good point, it costs more to be poor, because you are always galloping along with late charges, overdraws, missed opportunities for the "everything must go" sales (because the check was late this month)--and I think the worst of it is, people with mindless amounts of money do not get it when you say, "I just can't afford that right now" ("well, if you'd learn to manage your money a bit better...')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are two meanings to "afford" -- one is I have the money, but I don't want to do that with my budget right now, and the other is I simply don't have the money!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!