Saturday, September 11, 2021

Twenty years


I don't want to add a lot to the sadness of the day, just to note it, and move on.

We all lost a lot. The country lost the illusion of safety. Thousands of people lost their lives. My losses were collateral damage, minor in comparison. I live in commuting distance of Manhattan, it's close.

I had a flourishing, long established, home pet care business, until that morning, largely with clients who were constant travelers, in the finance world, with bookings several times a month.

Many who worked in the Towers, did not survive the day. Those who survived were transferred out of New York. Most business travel vanished. 

I was in my sixties, too young for Medicare, too old to be seriously considered as a job applicant. Remaining income too low to live on. So I restarted the art workshops, loyal friends wrote me into grants, to piece together an income, and I survived. Great thankfulness for that. But great sadness for the lost clients who always became friends.

My local train station was filled for days with the cars of commuters who never came home. Neighbors straggling home, filthy, office clothes ruined from escaping the debris. Stories of two days trying to get rides, ferry, whatever was available, since  public transportation was shut down.

I'm writing as the hardest time is coming up, the moments of the strikes. I was on the way to deliver artworks to a group gallery show.

Without even conferring, we all decided we would still deliver the paintings because art is always needed, and we wouldn't give the terrorists the win.   

Handsome Partner, a friend only, no longer a partner for many years, called frantically to try to stop me from catching the pictures unawares on television.

Because the New York strikes were so close, we decided to spend the evening together, with Handsome Son, at my condo, in case it was our last. 

We had no way of knowing if our vulnerable water supply could be attacked, the many industrial plants, the electric grid. Or who was responsible. And we couldn't know if and when the attack was finished.  This is true of many catastrophes, that the people caught up have no idea what's happening and when it will end. We forget that, when we look back at them as historic events with an ending.

Handsome Partner and I decided that day that life might be too short to spend apart any longer, and were never separated again for the ten years till his death. 

Remembering the young lives lost that day, the jobs destroyed, the sad, illogical, upsurge of anti Muslim rage, the rush to bad laws by a panicked Congress. We're still trying to repair the damage. We survivors owe that to the lost.

Part of that, I think, is living as well as we can and treating the earth and each other with care.

Peace, all.

20 comments:

  1. That was a very beautiful account.
    Your life was certainly deeply affected on many different levels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. down here in Texas, my reaction was one of horror of course but it didn't affect me personally, not like those of you who lived close like yourself. it was a distant horror like when the shuttle exploded. I wasn't overcome with fear about what might come next. I was more horrified by our response as we turned on our muslim citizens and invaded two countries, destroying Iraq that had nothing to do with it (my son served two tours over there) and occupying Afghanistan for 20 years. I'm glad that one small good came of it for you and that was your reunion with Handsome Partner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thoughtful post. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this post, Liz. While I didn't experince outright fear, I suspect all across the country many suddenly felt thrust into a state of feeling vulnerable to future attacks of various natures, but your account living so close to the tragedy is something those of us living states away could not experience. Thank you for sharing that glimpse - and for sharing so personally. I am moved by the story of you and Handsome Partner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A sad day and one of remembrance. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I remember well the fear and sadness I felt on that day. I also remember how for a while our country came together and there were American flags everywhere. Now it's been such a long time since we have all come together. There is so much division here now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. The administration of the time blundered in all directions, a weak president shoved around by opportunistic ambitious pols. We're still dealing with it. For a long time yet, too.

      Delete
  7. We watched some of the reading of the names lost today - very sad. I don't think too many of us will ever forget that day and the aftermath as well. You have given us a more personal glimpse with this post Liz and it helps us to understand that aspect of 9/11. Well written post, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some parts I couldn't bring myself to write about. The sounds of beepers of the dead first responders, the smell drifting over here next day. I knew what it was, didn't talk about it. And more.

      Delete
  8. A very thoughtful post, Liz. Thank you for your perspective as a neighbor to the whole tragic day and weeks and months. Hard memories, and as you say, the ripple effects have diminished us as a country. Sigh. " ...living as well as we can and treating the earth and each other with care." - yes to both.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were a significant help to me today, thank you.

      Delete
  9. My biggest take away was the need to be functional and carry on in strength, not in fear of the next blow. My eastern shows fell in the autumn and my next was at the Performing Arts Center at Saratoga. I remember the searches of my van at various check points, the absolute silence on the grounds, not the usual chatter and happiness of attendees as the crowds came to show our life her would go on. And most of all I remember days and days of clear blue skies, absent all contrails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the empty skies were the new normal.

      Delete
    2. The next week was our local festival of the arts, which I helped found. It took us about ten seconds to decide to go on with it. Crowds came, some crying at the music and art, and many told us it was great to have such an untainted afternoon together in good company.

      Delete
  10. Oh, Liz. What a dreadful place to be on such a dreadful day. And the one bright light, was Handsome Partner. There was that.

    I was outside that morning, waiting for a Monarch butterfly to hatch out, when my husband said, "you have to come see this." and I saw the first tower being sliced through, and then the second one. It really didn't penetrate at first, but when it went into over-and-over I went back outside with the butterfly, who had just then emerged, and was waving its wings to dry. It had a life to get on with, and knew nothing of terrorists or buildings, only that it needed to get where it was going. That butterfly in my avatar image is that butterfly.
    A perspective, perhaps.

    A close friend's daughter was on one of the top floors, and he told me how she escaped, by just getting up at the first sound, not looking back, and leaving, fast and straight. He had taught her well. She went down all the way to the bottom, porters were holding open the doors and she went through, never slowing, and kept walking for blocks until she came to a pay phone and called her father to tell him she was alright. He had to tell her what had happened.

    I wept for her, from relief, and for you, for the same reason. Thank you, Liz, for this eloquent story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many significant messages from nature. I'm glad you had that grace.

      Delete
    2. You remind us that this was before a lot of people had cellphones. You had to find a functioning landline phone. She was smart. I heard of a couple of people who ignored instructions to stay at their desks for more information, walked all the way down, and saved their own lives. Most people tend to freeze in an emergency. Much better not to.

      Delete
  11. Poignant, I am sorry for all of your losses and grateful you got through it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was a terrible, terrible day. Even as far away as I was, the "where next" fear squirmed around inside. Thank you for your story.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!