Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Living in interesting times

Today was supposed to be all weather all the time. Chimney postponed, tomorrow doctor likewise. But cloudy, cool, kids out playing touch football, I wondered if I'd been a bit hasty there.

I got on with non-weather-governed things, such as this, loads of fun


And, more seriously, this


Long interesting essays around loneliness, physical aloneness against the will, existential loneliness which strikes through being in company. She chooses visual art as the vehicle for her thinking, the first essay being about Hopper. He for many people is the authority on aloneness and longing to connect.  

She discusses some of his most iconic work and lesser known ones, with a sympathetic inclusion of his wife, Jo, also a painter, whose talent he relentlessly tried to suppress and extinguish. 

She threw her energies into promoting his work, a Stockholm syndrome set-up if ever there was one. The loneliness of being married to him probably surpassed anything in the paintings, for which she was also his model

It's disturbing to read about his cruelty, but important to understand. If possible. Next up is Andy Warhol, so we'll see.

Then in the mail, look, my moringa seeds came


You can see them in the window of the packet. And a bonus present of some exotic cucumber seeds. Next year.

Here's a picture of the seeds before they're harvested, by this tiny company in Phoenix. In their back yard!

So I'll be starting them in a pot soon. I usually avoid sending or receiving plant material or seeds from other states out of concern for accidentally exporting or introducing regional diseases. But I did make an exception.

In fact it wasn't possible in and out of NJ for several years after the anthrax attack shortly after 9/11. Yes, that was our post office. All our mail, in and out, was irradiated to kill the deadly anthrax spores.

At first they overdid it and turned the mail into cinders. I got a plastic bag and an apologetic note, sorry, this is your mail. Just crisp brown shreds of paper. Bills, legal mail, who knew what you should have received. 

I lost access to a British pension because they said l failed to return the annual form for declaring my eligibility. I wrote to say most likely it was incinerated, and could they try again. 

After some hesitation they said they'd researched my account, were so sorry for the experience, and here's a new form, also they would backdate to catch me up. Tiny pension, but welcome anyway.

And on the subject of mail, here's one of the results of my get out the vote work along with many other people. Legislation providing this


Pre filled out with my information from the voter rolls, just sign, date and return to ensure vote by mail ballots forever. 

I chose to get them for every election, president to fire district. Prepaid envelope. This is good. Contrasts vividly with states doing their best to suppress the vote and worse. 



Then it was late afternoon and it started raining. And flooding. Thunderstorm overhead, massive lightning, an entire evening of tornado warnings and reports, phone alerts to take cover,  trees and wires down all around me, 

Now 11pm and heavy rain but the part of the storm that touched down the damaging tornadoes locally has finally moved on. Some awful pictures. 


However, flooding is serious. This is the current state of affairs. Closed roads too many to list. We had several inches of rain, still going on heavily out there.

Looks like it wasn't hasty to postpone the doctor after all. I doubt if anyone can get anywhere tomorrow. 

Right now Handsome Son and I are safe and dry in our respective homes, except he's moved his car to higher ground because he's pretty much surrounded by water, the marsh having invaded the parking lots where he lives.

We still have power, and WiFi. So this is good. I'll keep you posted. Finally got calm enough to blog.



.

23 comments:

  1. While I was writing, three more flooding alerts, up to 4am. Oh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always admired Hopper's art. Disappointing to learn that he was such a prick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those moringa seeds are sure interesting. Do you know if it is difficult to grow? I am not familiar with it other than what you have told us about it in a previous post. I hope you get your pension all worked out. You are so right, every little bit helps! Hopefully your weather will calm down soon. I have grown up in areas that had many tornados and know they can be frightening. Take care and be safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pension issue was after 9/11! Worked out many years ago. The rain seems to have stopped now. Daylight will show the extent of flooding though.

      Delete
  4. Glad you live on higher ground, and that HS has foresight about his car. Stay dry!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In NJ in this region, higher ground means two or three feet. Very flat alluvial plain. Which means flooding spreads and moves rapidly. Also that it drains unless you get two big storm' back to back like this time. It's the damage from downed wires and trees blocking access that's an issue.

      Delete
  5. Good thing I postponed my doctor. All roads to her office closed. They offered me virtual but I declined because I lost WiFi in the last storm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Disappointing to learn what Hopper was like as a human being.

    Saw the news this morning about Ida’s affect there. Remnants are started here already this morning. Good thing we had a French drain installed in our backyard last year. It will be tested today by the sound of it. Sump pumps are ready though.

    I hope all continues to be well with both you and your son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. He's trying to get into work, though most roads are closed. He might be able to thread the needle.

      Delete
  7. How are your hands? I am hoping they are better.
    Also hoping that your skies clear and your roads along with them.
    Stay safe. I know you will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The numbness is slightly better from rest, but I doubt if it will ever go away, at this age. My toe-tips have been numb for some time, mild peripheral neuropathy of aging, most likely. I'll work with it.
      Today sunshine, my street is dry, but many roads blocked and the open ones gridlocked. Library system closed, State offices closed, water rescues still in progress

      Delete
  8. During hurricanes I always tell my house to "hunker down and hang on". Hope you don't experience any flooding

    ReplyDelete
  9. Personally my house is dry, street too. Son found an alternate route to work. He just texted me to let me know all's well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've been on my mind. It's good to know you are safely through this hurricane. The season's half over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I'm so glad to see you back again. I hope you're safely through your move!

      Delete
  11. I know how devastating water can be. four years ago Harvey came and sat north of us and rained and rained and rained and all the water flowed into our town. it was isolated by water couldn't get in or out. 18" in the lower part of the house and we had to be rescued in the dark by airboat. I'm glad you are dry and safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, hard to believe rhe power of moving water until you experience it. Here you can be swept downstream if your car gets in even a few inches of water. Yesterday local police were still doing water rescues, and telling people they didn't have time to advise what roads were open, just if you see water, turn around!

      Delete
  12. Very glad that you have come through the storm relatively okay...and Handsome Son as well. Sounds like sheltering in place for the next while is what will be needed. Certainly some scary sights on our news reports here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The scariest part of any storm is the flooding; it's implacable, and you cannot know what damage there is until the water recedes. I'm glad you're okay, and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I seem to have done a lot of sleeping since the storm. The anxiety was exhausting! But all's well now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad you are safe and dry and able to blog, today was the first dry day we've had in a while. I eagerly look forward to winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not so sure about winter, if it brings snow the way the summer brought rain! But yes, it's good to feel safe for now.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!