Monday, September 20, 2021

Crumpets, beaded figure, wabi sabi

A coda from yesterday: i did in fact get a dusky in my Preserve pictures. Late but still lovely


Onward to today and the almost finished Beaded Figure


Not stitched permanently yet, just assembled so I can consider it for a day. I think it's done, but I'll allow for late breaking ideas because you never know.

While that's happening and before I start on the yellow skirt that's next, I went to get dressed and pulled out yet again this t-shirt which I like except for the immoveable stain right at the front neck line which has resisted many removal efforts. 

I'll do the other thing. Make it fancy. This afternoon. Then I'll wear it instead of sadly hanging it up yet again.


Today I had the last of my bread for breakfast, so I needed a bread related item. I've been searching for my crumpet rings on and off for days, found many other items in the kitchen, but the rings were in hiding. Until I found them on a shelf behind another set of shelves, slid into a glass pan wrapped in a towel. I expect I had a reason for this. They're egg poaching rings, too. 

Anyway I was finally able to make crumpets, good for breakfast or teatime, using Jack Monroe's recipe. You can Google on her, or squint at this little version of mine with quantities translated for us benighted imperial measure folks.


These are fun in slow motion. You make the batter, a yeast event, then it needs an hour to rise. Then you fry each batch, in my case three is all I can fit in the pan at a time, for 12 minutes, each batch, low flame. This gets pretty long and drawn out, but you end with a batch which you can freeze if you like. 





Chef's sample. I used half white half  wholewheat.

I got a lot more than the ten Jack says, and I'll keep a few in the fridge, wrap the rest individually in parchment paper, and handsome Son will get his share whenever he shows up. 

Toasted, buttered, with or without jam, his choice. Also good toasted with cheese, sharp cheddar best.

So then it was now.



19 comments:

  1. The beaded lady is a fancy one. Love her dress!

    Your bread reminds me of toutons made by Newfoundlanders, fried bread dough. Delicious! With butter, molasses, jam, whatever you fancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should check that out. Sounds like a Canadian cousin of crumpets.

      Delete
  2. They look good.
    Thank you for bringing crumpet rings to into my life. I've never owned them. It will make this winter's cooking more fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I had to buy them as egg poaching rings. Pretty cheap. Four in a set. And if you lose them for months at a time, as I do, they'll last forever.

      Delete
    2. I just checked. Evidently they're called English muffin rings.

      Delete
  3. I have a very small cast iron pan and I'm Wonder if I could make one big crumpet in it. Or several to use up the batter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The beaded lady looks wonderful! The embroidery over the stain will be perfect. I remember in the 1970s how popular shirts embroidered with flowers and such were. Enjoy those crumpets, they look good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toasted crumpets gir tea with a boiled egg. Could have been breakfast, too.

      Thank you for the nice words on the beaded figure and soon to be refurbished tshirt.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. If you've got a spare half day, now you can make them!

      Delete
  6. Is a crumpet the same as an English muffin? I love the beaded black dress and can't wait to see the tee shirt done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they're the same. Crimpers are softer. I've never made. English muffins, but I think they're baked.

      Tee coming up!

      Delete
    2. Crumpets, crumpets, dang it.

      Delete
  7. I had no idea what crumpets were. til now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't remember when I last had a crumpet - they look so tasty! For some reason, seeing the doll, I am reminded of 'The Scream' by Edvard Munch. Don't ask me why!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a scary figure. Naught for your comfort, to borrow a quotation.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!