Friday, September 10, 2021

Sari, soup,and late breaking Misfits

About the chimney people. No, it's not done with. That's only stage one, getting the certificate.  They're licensed contractors and have the power to fuss. 

One time the previous chimneys folk, now retired, refused a certificate for the fireplace on the grounds that two floor tiles on the hearth, just set down there as plant stands for the summer, broke safety code!  I had left Handsome Son in charge that time, thinking it was a simple visit, he could handle it. 

They insisted on a second visit, with me present, to show compliance. By lifting the tiles six inches over, onto the rug! So I've been burned, if you follow me!

But now the HOA also have to accept the certificate. A whole separate issue. And that's the one I'm nervous about.  It's all about safety. But I'm all for safety, and what I'm doing is safe.  But we'll see. They too have been known to throw their weight around. Not exhaling yet.

Meanwhile, good things arrived yesterday. That sari I ordered from India, as affordable fabric, came. They chose what to send,  color and condition up to  them,  condition of sale. And I got so lucky. Look



Lovely figured green, black border, perfect condition. A whole sari, quite a few yards. And a bonus purse, with Gujarati embroidery. Which I'm using right away, just right for phone, keys, small wallet. 

This is plenty of fabric for pants, tops, just need to decide. Happy sewing lady here.

And the weather's cooler so the cooked rice and tomato bits in the freezer from the tomato jam, are now a very nice tomato rice soup.


I needed room in the freezer anyway, for the late arrival of the Misfits box, holiday delay.



Whenever I get a cauliflower I think of Mary Moon! You never know what reminds people of you. It's on account of the life changing recipe for roasted cauliflower.

Then the usual total boredom of prepping, which I talk myself through with the aid of audiobooks and reminding myself this is how I get to eat well at a good price. I do love the results if not the process. 

I prepped always, even before I found Misfits,  because I like cooking not prepping, so I appreciate ready chopped vegetables and washed fruit and scrubbed potatoes. So there's that. Otherwise I wouldn't eat half so interestingly.

Last night's Misfits salad supper


Romaine lettuce, rainbow carrots, scallions, blueberries, raspberries, drawing of mayonnaise. This was really interesting to eat, a different set of flavors in each mouthful. Scallions and raspberries are surprisingly compatible.

Speaking of which, I watched a taste testing yesterday on YouTube of the America's test kitchen people. I like these and learn a lot, Jack Bishop being very knowledgeable and their lab onto the detail. 

This one was supposedly about supermarket cinnamon. But only one of the samples was true cinnamon, Ceylon cinnamon. 

The others were all actually cassia, a different plant, much cheaper and harsher and much less healthy than the real thing, but sold in supermarkets in the US as cinnamon to shoppers who don't know. And who might not like the cost of the real thing.

They referred to it this fact only in  passing, and the tester cook even said during the blind tasting oh this one is like cardamom, don't like it. That was the real one, as it turned out, when they revealed it. 

Tastes differ, but I think if you prefer cassia it's okay to say so, not insist it's cinnamon which it isn't. Ceylon is much more delicate in flavor, and expensive, but I've never gone back since I found it. Not that I'm at all passionate about truth in labeling or anything!

Usually they're excellent, though, and I learn quite a bit.

After all this, I finally got to the beaded figure's beaded knitting. I had spun the yarn, a nice silky blend, lace weight in sparkly black. I do the crochet hook method of hitching the beads onto the yarn. Pictures not too good, best I could manage 




The idea is to slip the bead onto the hook, then hook the stitch then draw it through the bead, then return the stitch to the needle and knit it. It's permanently attached. And this way you just bead at will, no need to thread the beads onto the yarn ahead of time and plan and manage them as you go. It needs a tiny hook, the kind people use for the finest thread.

This is the start of a beaded knitted top for the figure. The glass beads I started with don't show in pictures, but the next ones, pearls and solid colors, will 

There's a knitting group today and I actually have work to bring, instead of just chatting. I'm also being reunited with the stash where I donated a lot of novelty buttons a while back. I'm going to check whether anything might work for Magpie. If so, they'll be on their way.

So that's us, controversies all round, with art getting in anyway. Good Day, everyone!

17 comments:

  1. Hey, I just saw that episode of America's Test Kitchen too and was intrigued by the difference between cinnamon/not cinnamon, which I'd never heard of before. I guess I'll stick with not cinnamon, because I'm not a fan of cardamom or anything that tastes like cardamom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the deal: it doesn't. I just did a smell test. No comparison. I'd try it before deciding.

      Delete
  2. So what about stick cinnamon? Is that "real"? I had no idea...
    I just went and checked to see what kind of cinnamon I buy from Costco. It is Saigon cinnamon which I googled and find that yes, it's a cassia. Huh. Well, I like it fine which is good since I have a huge container that I keep in the freezer, filling a smaller bottle to keep with my spices.
    Thanks for teaching me about it! And now I will think of YOU when I use cinnamon. Which is frequently.
    And I had no idea how to attach beads to knitted work. Thank you for that, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's the concern about cassia: it can cause liver damage. True cinnamon doesn't. So for some people it's an issue. Especially if they've been advised to take a lot of cinnamon for blood sugar issues. other than that, it's just good to know what you're buying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. saris are 6 yards I think. that is a pretty one, you did luck out. so I have the same Saigon cinnamon/cassia as Ms Moon. now I have to be on the lookout for Ceylon cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to send away for mine. I don't know if most stores carry it. Expensive and I like it enough it's worth it.

      Delete
  5. Good luck with the HOA. Sometimes I think prayers might be impervious folks like that.
    Congratulations on the nice sari! That's a beautiful green.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, good luck with the HOA. Ugh.

    Beautiful sari - they chose well for you.

    I love Ceylon cinnamon, which we get mail order from Penzey's Spice Co - an occasional splurge. Decades ago, we did our own taste test after the first order of three kinds of cinnamon from Penzey's - who knew there were three different kinds! Ceylon knocked my socks off. No hint of cardamom, I'd say more delicate and fruitier, more complex, maybe a hint of citrus.

    Penzey's says it's more commonly used in British baking. Did you perhaps grow up with it?

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't grow up with any spices beyond nutmeg, as I remember. I learned a lot about food from the Cookbook book group, Bite Club. Including the recommendation to try Ceylon cinnamon. Never looked back. I used to think I hated cinnamon, before I found the real stuff

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sari is beautiful and looks a bit like a batik fabric. It will give you much fabric to put your talent to work on! I love America's Test Kitchen on PBS but I have not seen the cinnamon test. That is interesting to learn of the different types. I guess I've grown up with Saigon cinnamon and I like it so I may not even like the Ceylon cinnamon. I did read that Saigon cinnamon has a bit of oil in it so it blends well in baked goods. I will try the Ceylon sometime out of curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people like the sharper taste of the Saigon cinnamon, yes.


      I'm pleased with the sari. And the purse she threw in, using it already.

      Delete
  9. Very interesting notes on cinnamon and, once again, I learned something from you!
    And that sari is to die for! The fabric is wonderful and a perfect colour for you. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what you create from it.
    The little tutorial regarding adding beads to knitting is useful, provided I remember it when (if!) I ever knit anything needed beading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need a very very fine crochet hook. The good thing is that unlike adding beading afterwards, these beads can't be lost or fall off and the crochet hook method is a whole lot more interesting than the count and plan and thread all the beads ahead way.

      Delete
    2. I have several very fine hooks, courtesy of my grandmother, who made both knitted and crocheted lace. So I'm good to go if the need arises!

      Delete
  10. Interesting about cinnamon. Never knew there is a fake one vs the real deal. I will have to look for Ceylon cinnamon to taste the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard about it through the cookbook book group, in the recipe book of a southern cook who explained it and I followed up. I think she was able to get it in a store. In this region, not available. I sent away for it but you might find it locally.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!