Thursday, March 26, 2020

Squirrel antics, package, postie note

Yesterday was a full day, every minute packed with seconds, as they say.

Nextdoor neighbor with broken fridge can't get repair done till the fan they ordered arrives, five days.

So I cleared space and he came over with some stuff he won't need before the repair. Left it outside. Looked as if he'd sprayed with sanitizer. So I brought it in with gloved hands, stored in the bottom, unused fridgedrawers, shut them. Washed gloves on hands, washed hands. The new normal.

Then he texted me for a shopping list since he was going anyway. He even scored toilet paper.  I washed the fruit in a bit of detergent, bowl of water.  Other stuff for freezer. I wonder if the virus survives freezing. That would be nice.

Later other neighbors from across the street came with fresh-baked banana bread, left outside, and an offer to shop. Other friends texted. Son texts every morning anyway, always has. And we message in the evening. So I'm pretty well supervised!


And my lovely letter carrier, wanting to save my walk to the postbox, left a package on the step, complete with personal note.

I will write about the contents of the pkg in https://beautifulmetaphor.blogspot.com in a bit.


Meanwhile a squirrel doing acrobatics to get the little thorns on the wild cherry tree, what's left of it. They only like the thorns, eat them all winter after the fruit's gone. Does any naturalist reading here, we have a few, know what's the attraction?  My researches have yielded nothing.

Pictures today not great for various reasons, but you blog with the pictures you've got!

22 comments:

  1. All these little kindnesses--trouble brings out the best in people. Oh, and according to a CDC video, the virus can survive the freezer :/ So there's that to think about too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad about the freezer not flattening the virus. Oh well.

      And the attention I'm being paid is not unusual in this neighborhood, just being done at a distance now. I think they all suddenly realized I'm old, to be honest. It doesn't come up normally.

      Delete
  2. I, too, was wondering about freezing the virus along with my pork chops. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. There seem to be plenty of worries to go around. I'm explaining to God that I'm doing my best,and the rest's up to Her.

      Delete
  3. That is a huge squirrel. We only have the tiny red ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have way too many of these Manly Jerseyboy squirrels. I could send you a couple as a starter kit? No? Thought not!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. They are great acrobats. But having had them in the house, I'm a bit tepid in my response!

      Delete
  5. According to Dr. virus can live two years in freezer/cold. Heat kills it not cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sprayed the veg bags with alcohol, best remedy I have available.

      Delete
    2. Would hydrogen peroxide work, do you think?

      Delete
    3. It might. I made hand sanitizer using alcohol, h. peroxide and rosewater plus almond oil. I'd check further before taking my word though.

      Delete
  6. What a great sense of Community you have around you, that is so important now, more than ever before. We just moved TO a Wonderful Community, from one that was devoid of any sense of Community, I'm Thankful to have Escaped in the nick of time and get settled in before Sheltering in Place became necessary for those of us, and our Families, with Medical Fragility and high Risk especially. It seems some are doing what Experts advise and some are acting oblivious to the Pandemic... people can be strange like that. It brings out the Best in some and the Worst in others... and Magnifies whatever we have within us. Be Well and Stay Safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a good community here, just a development with mixed ages, occupations, races, everything. I find it very healthy, and love to see kids out playing, not so much right now, but a welcome sight. Thanks for visiting. Come over to https://beautifulmetaphor.blogspot com and see if you enjoy the shenanigans over there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s the time when we help each other; I am regaining some faith in human nature. The selfish hoarders are possibly in the minority? I don’t know.

    Stay safe and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our shops are restocking now without being cleaned out in the first hour,so I think that frenzy has died down. There are still plenty of good people and deeds around.

      Delete
  9. Those acrobatic squirrels are so clever, I have some in my back yard too. They love to hang upside down on the humming bird feeder when I have it out, and drink the sugary water as it drips over the edge. clever little devils.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're great engineers. Almost impossible to outwit them.

      Delete
  10. I'm a little puzzled about thorns on a cherry tree. Are they sharp, or are they the short fruit spurs?

    Cheers,
    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are sharp. You don't want to pick up an armful of prunings from this tree. Stickers! They're about a quarter of an inch long I think. Right now there probably aren't any uneaten, but if I can get a pic I will.

    Since this tree was planted by birds, we don't know the exact species. It has the trunk of a cherry, tiny bitter fruit after beautiful blossom. I've always called it a wild cherry but maybe it's a related species.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a puzzlement all right. Both the tree and the spine-loving squirrels. I'm baffled! Will continue cogitating.

      Cheers,
      Chris from Boise

      Delete
    2. Thank you. If you find out anything, please let me know.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!