Thursday, March 12, 2020

Living in interesting times

Action packed. Sunday was the little visitor, who turned out to be the high point. Tuesday I thought I saw a little damp patch under my 1999 Honda Civic. I gassed it up, went to knitting group, noticed a bigger patch when I left, but was distracted by a call and texts from next door.

The lady of the house's mother, in her 90s, had a house fire, Sunday,smoke  damage, windows broken. She lives in New York, lady of the house went right away to bring her back here. Four hour round trip.

Friend Gary, man of the house, took one grandchild shopping for mattress and bedding for old lady. That's how come I had my little visitor, the other grandchild, too young to be in the house alone.

But, sadly, the old lady died Tuesday morning. Hence the calls and texts. Mixture of stress and existing issues. The only glimmer of light is that she was with her daughter. Daughter and I talked this morning, and she said yes, good she'd brought her.

Overnight my Honda started peeing much more, couldn't tell what, gas, tranny fluid, oil, water, couldn't guess. So I set up a service date for earliest -- Friday --and about five minutes later decided the heck with repairs, it was time to move on to a new car.

 Went online, found a couple of likely cars right on the lot at the dealership, pre-owned like all my cars. Checked consumer reports, driving reviews, then made arrangements to go in this morning and just do it. I dread buying cars, but the Honda folks are nice guys, don't say stupid womeny stuff, answer questions, don't witter on about color etc.

So I got together all the dox, decided what I'd deposit, gosh I was prepared. Even emptied out the car, which was unfortunately loaded with heavy stuff for the thriftie.

 And, two hours later, I was tootling home in my 2018 Honda Fit. Lovely hatchback! Made in this century!



 What a relief to be done with the old Civic, which served me well for 20 years, doesn't owe me anything, but was starting to get frail and geriatric. To her credit, even today, her last day, she started as always, first turn of the key.

My neighbor Gary has been texting about whether I need supplies, etc. while he's stocking up. He's ready for the siege of Leningrad, from the sound of things. Texting whether he can freeze carrots, vital stuff like that. Probably displacement activity from the last couple of days. He likes to be in action. Lady of the house, much calmer person says he's beside himself with virus anxiety, too. So I think he's coping by shopping.

And I hope we can all cope. My savings, like everyone, have been badly hit by the plunging stock market. And I don't have the luxury of time to wait for it to recover, unlike the crash in the eighties.

So I'm getting birdsong videos on YouTube, and Paul Barton playing virtuoso piano for the elephants on a reserve in Asia, and Kate Jackson puttering about her garden. It's good to remember there's still a lot of wonder to enjoy.

And I hope all my readers keep well, and keep active, and keep creating stuff.






14 comments:

  1. I hope the new vehicle serves you as well as the old reliable Civic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. It literally never failed me, any weather. The engine is still sound but the body is failing! True of a lot of us..

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your smart purchase. Yes, there is still beauty, kindness and goodness in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to remember that. And to remember people still read and enjoy and respond to blogs. You can't feel too isolated with internet friends.

      Delete
  3. My husband has been selling cars for many, many years and he has probably sold more Hondas and Toyotas than all the rest put together. Actually, I'm sure he has. They are reliable and do not cause his customers problems. Although sometimes I think they last a little too long...
    Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the salesman's viewpoint, I think you're right. Seeing someone finally turn in a car after twenty years is not a cheering sight. Especially since, sizing up me and my car buying history, he probably surmised this would be my last car. Not much hope of seeing me again in a couple of years!

      Delete
  4. I'd say you've had a week! I know my Toyota van, currently at over 250,000 miles, will need to be replaced soon, but that girl has earned her retirement, like your Honda. I have not looked at my retirement account, don't know if I can stand the shock. Ah well, with my four sons I'll never be homeless at any rate. There's always a bright side, even if we don't like the options it presents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The thing about cars is that you get attached. You understand each other. I can tell if someone else has driven my car. It feels different. So parting with one is more than a harrowing business transaction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you enjoy and have this one for a long time. My last car was eighteen, driven by me for eight years before it retired and I had to stop driving. Never had a factory new car. I had a ford once. Never again. Stuck to Nissans, Hondas or Toyotas and had fewer problems and better performance. You made a good choice. As for the Market, I'm in the boat with you, and worried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long ago I happily drove Chrysler cars, but they went downhill, switched to Honda and never looked back. I really have to out something distinctive on the driver's side seat so I can recognize my new car, until I get used to it. I'm so used to spotting my old car that I'd be wandering about helplessly trying to remember what the new one is like.

      I'm trying not to fixate on my disappearing retirement fund!

      Delete
  7. Sometimes it's just time to replace a vehicle but after 20 years I guess your old one really doesn't owe you anything. Sounds like you had the week from h-e-double-hockey-sticks but good to know you are self-medicating with birdsong videos and the like. Good medicine for all of us right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've resumed my five minute meditation, the one in YouTube with the bowl. Very helpful.

      Oddly one of the stressors of getting the car was that I'd forgotten how to buy a car! My son had to walk me through the steps. After twenty years, a lot has changed and I'd forgotten what I did anyway. Except for parting with a bunch of money, that was familiar.

      I'm happy with it, and hope to find out more about it. No owner's manual...

      Delete
    2. could you find the manual online? Just a thought.

      Delete
    3. Probably. Up to now I'm operating okay. Except I was sitting in the driver's seat today trying to remember how the keyless remote worked! I figured it out. After a while. You don't put a key, just push a button to start. After you remember the other steps, that is.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!