Friday, March 27, 2020

Chivyssoise, a new invention

So after I had some ideas to offer a friend suffering from a surfeit of spuds, I thought, I could do one of those myself. To wit, vichyssoise soup. Leek and potato.

This not being a time when you can pop to the shop to pick up a thing or two, I had to go with what I had.





Plenty of potatoes, onions, chicken stock powder, but no leeks. Thyme but no marjoram. I thought chives, another oniony relative, might work. A handful of fresh cut, now I have to let the pot recover, and another handful from the freezer.

If you have a mandolin, this is where you could use it, to slice up five large potatoes. I tried the slicing side of a grater, but ended up using my big knife. I had to cook longer to allow for the slices being a bit thicker than the recipe demands.



If I do this again, I'll snip the chives before cooking. I thought they might disintegrate as they cooked, which they didn't. Ended up rescuing them from the blade of the immersion blender, and then snipping them.

I also have no bay leaves, but use curry leaves in their place, used a lot in Indian vegetarian cooking, for deep flavoring.

No cream, so I mixed a strong batch of powdered whole milk.

Only seasoning was kosher salt and white pepper.

As you see, the color is a pale green, quite appetizing, and the flavor is amazingly good considering how few ingredients were in it. If you use leeks you use only the white bulbs, and get white soup.


And since chives were important, I've named it Chivyssoise.  I had it hot, but you can have it traditionally cold if you like cold soup.



Ten minutes later. Critic's choice.

8 comments:

  1. I feel sorry for people who have to specifically stick to a recipe. It's fine to substitute and made do with what you have. I bet that soup was absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was good. I never made it before. But I'll do it again. Probably with even more changes.

      Delete
  2. I admire people who make food without a recipe. I just recently discovered a Leek Potato Soup and I'm afraid since it's so new to me, I'm bound to my recipe. Can I tell you a funny? I had leeks on the shopping list this past week (thinking I'd pick some up the next time I went). DH brought home two bunches of green onions. I asked him why he got two bunches (holding them up). He replied that I had leeks on the shopping list and he thought I'd need at least two bunches for the soup. I told him these weren't leeks. He asked, "Well, what do leeks look like?" I laughed and said, "Kind of like these on steroids." So are green onions a fair substitute for leeks in your soup? The flavor of leeks is so mild I wonder how much it would change the flavor of my soup to just use the green onions. I'm really wanting some Leek Potato Soup now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd just go for it. If it turns out too oniony you could add milk or more chicken stock or something. You might like it. When in doubt, try it out!

      Delete
  3. Your new soup sounds good. It's always nice when an inventive cook adds to / changes recipes to meet ingredients on had AND it works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this better than the original. It's got a wonderful deep flavor. Now I'm waiting impatiently for the chives to grow back so I can do it again.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!