Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Plain, very plain, and just plain exciting

Yesterday turned out to be plain. I did cut the terrycloth for future towels, you'll notice that the spare room bed, last week my diy workbench, is now my cutting surface



And hemmed a hand towel now in use in the bathroom.



 The one it replaces will go down the animal kingdom as a floor cloth.


 So I now have a stack of plain sewing to attend, in uncreative moods.

And then I moved outside to sort the outdoor storage closet next to the front door.  Found myself in a shouted convo with several neighbors doing distance chatting, while I sorted. Not much to discard, it turns out to my surprise, but a couple of handy discoveries.

The reason I can't just toss or donate garden tools, which is most of what's there, is that I keep them for any neighbor to borrow and return. Bulb planters, dibblers, trowels,  spades, bamboo canes, sisal string, clippers, all that.

 So there's a fair bit of rummaging when people are looking for a tool, and I sometimes have to sort it. It's generally understood that there's no need to ask, just borrow, then return clean when you finish. It saves people from buying their own, no point. But people don't always remember where the tool was and stuff gets mixed up.

Not in the mood for walking yesterday, so I did Eight Pieces of Silk, chi gong exercises, which I haven't done for a while. I have an ancient videocassette of Renee Ryan teaching a class, outdoors, grass, trees, a little wind.

It's a great series, with stretching, firing imaginary arrows, punching, all very interesting,while she explains the point of each one.  You can find various versions on YouTube if you like the idea. I find that I'm calmer, and the day after, much less creaky when I get up.

 I also often do one of the exercises while I'm waiting for the microwave. Or a yoga move like Tree Pose. My kitchen window faces the street and I've often wondered what passing neighbors think of these moves.  I have Indian and Chinese neighbors who are probably familiar with them and shake their heads over my poor form.

It was good that I did calming stuff because in the evening my son who lives two minutes away, messaged to say he might call out of work today, a cold, maybe a fever, but he had no thermometer. He'd been unable to buy one. Out of stock.

Since he works in a supermarket that's been mobbed recently,  the fever was a sudden cause of alarm, so I went through my bathroom storage in search of a backup thermometer. I found one, the old fashioned kind with the mercury column you have to shake down, and peer at to read.

So, I said don't go away, I'll bring it to you. This involved my first trip in the dark in the new car, trying to find the headlight switch, all that. Got halfway there and realized I'd left the thermometer on the counter.  Back again, out again. Nervous, me? Nooooo, I do calming exercises..

Then I didn't want to go in his apartment, handed him the therm. and waited on the landing looking through the storm door while he took his temp. He couldn't fathom how to angle the therm to read it, so I threw caution to the winds, took it, showed him, read it, normal, no fever after all, then explained how to shake it down.

 And had to do it for him, since  he couldn't master the whipping wrist action. Just flailing it about vigorously doesn't work. Nowadays even doctors don't always know, what with high tech thermometers that read it to you in several languages and offer you a cup of tea while they're at it. Then I came home and scrubbed up like a surgeon.

So no fever, no dry cough, and he's fully equipped with cold remedies. If he's home today, he can probably do some work on his second job, a high tech one done remotely, using the equipment he has.

 This was his full time  work until the recess closed the company he worked for, and one of the partners retained him to work part time in a new project he'd started from the ashes. No chance of a return to full time in high tech, no matter how skilled, for a 50 something.

 So he,  philosophical as ever, after years of searching and temping, cut his losses, got hourly work in the supermarket. It's a union job. I think it's the Brotherhood of Meatcutters, or something.  And, true to form, never a word of complaint, just puts his head down and gets on with it.

So that's where we are.  Hoping for the best. As always.




11 comments:

  1. Reading this I thought you must be British, even though your English was not. So I checked your profile and saw N. J. I lived in Princeton for nine years when I first came to the U.S. This was a fun post to read. Those old thermometers that you had to shake down. So glad your son does not have the virus. Store employees are out there in the midst of all these people who may or may not be sick. Scary times, so I guess we scrub our hands and do the best we can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in Princeton quite a bit, just a couple of miles away. What road did you live on? I think you'd find it very changed, much busier, a lot of building.

      I grew up in the north of England, but have been in the US for many years.

      I have a new normal: did a bit of food shopping wearing clear vinyl gloves, to avoid handling carts etc, and felt a bit safer. There's no rush shopping in perishables, I notice. Which was what I was looking for anywa

      Delete
  2. Well, I'm glad your son doesn't appear to have THE virus. Having dealt with crud in my chest for over a week now I've been taking my temperture off an on. Only once did my temp reach 98 even. Today, wondering if my electronic thermometers are operating properly, I pulled out an old mercury one. I guess the modern ones are working. I'm a whopping 97.somthing on that thing, too. It makes me wonder about the biological mechanics of having a post menapausal body with an internal furnace that allows me to wear short sleeves in a 68 degree house, but my temperature doesn't even register 98.

    Anyway... I enjoyed this post. Love the images of your tool lending library and you doing Yoga poses for curious neighbors. I'm teasing, but I admire it, actually. I tend to keep my tools to myself and hide my exercisings behind shades. I don't even particularly like to take walks in my own neighborhood. While I turn on the "out-going" me when needed, I'm truly a hermit in nature. But this "15 days" of isolation is going to test even me, I'm afraid. I'm going to have to drive to the greenway trail to take a walk before the rains keep us in for the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely a time for introverts. But they also need company sometimes. And everyone who can walk needs to. It's so good for your spirits.

      Delete
  3. You're game cutting fabric on the spare bed. I would have sliced the sheets up underneath and wondered at the time why the cutting was such hard going. Oh, how we have advanced from the good-old mercury to digital thermometers. Where would everyone be if the digital/automatic age were to die? Then we more mature folk would come into our own. Good to hear that your boy is suffering nothing more than a common cold. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we hope that's all it is! It amused me, watching his valiant attempts to shake down the thermometer. I realized that even though he's in his fifties, chances are he'd never observed it done. He knows now.

      Messaged me a while back to say still normal temp. So he's acting like he's always known how to operate a stone age therm...very male!



      Delete
  4. I can understand your apprehension. However I would have done the same as you and gone to our daughter in the same circumstances. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a couple of moms have said that. I think it's that hormone that suddenly happens at childbirth and never goes away!

      Delete
  5. Here's a tip for thermometer shake-down! I prefer the glass ones, and the one that I bought from a vet supply is considerably longer than typical pharmacy one so requires a bit more oomph. You can actually lock your wrist and shake in a full arc from your elbow. Not only works, but for me at least, works faster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Readers: this is a tip from an expert. Please note.

      Delete
  6. Good tip from Quinn! All we have is the old-fashioned type of thermometer but hopefully we won't find need to use it. Good for you for braving the dark and going to the rescue. We never stop being moms do we. Very glad that it appears to be the common cold but these days you can never be too careful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!